Media The Twenty Biggest Moments In Coney Island History

Remove this Banner Ad

An Introduction To Twenty Coney Island Seasons New
1712740908337.png

Hello friends, I trust this finds you.

We have seen 29 clubs take part in the Sweet FA over its 37 season history. Every one of those clubs has its own story to tell, whether their journey was for one season or thirty seven, or somewhere in between. This thread tells one of those stories - the story of the Coney Island Warriors.

Season 37 marks the twentieth that the Coney Island Warriors have been involved here in Sweet and much like the Cyclone that presides on its famed Boardwalk, the club has had its fair share of ups and downs. Over the remainder of this season we will take a look back at twenty moments across those twenty seasons which have defined the club, as described by those that were there at the time. Or me if I can't find them.

So sit back, make sure the guard rail is securely in place, keep your arms inside the roller coaster car at all times and enjoy the ride as we take a look back at the Twenty Biggest Moments in Coney Island History.​

Index of the Twenty Biggest Moments in Coney Island History New

Moment One - The OFG Warriors Bid New
1712744962270.png

It was towards the end of season 15, and expansion was in the air of Sweet as eight teams were looking to become ten. The only issue was there were three prospective suitors but only two roses. A pair of Hawks in Karnezis_13 & MG MG took a look at the Other Footy Games board and convinced a bunch of posters to get involved in a new team, some of whom have remained involved in the SFA, names such as Smartys Power eth-dog & Footypie32. They augmented this with some SFA talent including inaugural captain Frothies Mcveigh and commissioned lmach to put together a logo and a kit, and from there the name was created and the bid was launched. The OFG Warriors were born!

1712750107595.png
1712750144374.png
1712750179835.png

I'll let Frothies Mcveigh take up the story at this point:
At the time the league was ready for expansion and I was keen to be a part of it. Karnezis_13 approached me about potentially spearheading the OFG Warriors bid as they had a few eager new posters keen to get involved. I loved the colours and the logo so I was all in.

We had a large and enthusiastic group of rookies make up the roster for the bid which was looked at as spammy by most of the league, but it did mean we were the most active of the 3 bids. If my memory serves me well a couple of posters took advantage of the enthusiasm and naivety of some of the young Warriors and trolled them a bit, which actually ended up helping us more than anything in the end.

Ultimately we couldn’t get enough other established posters to come onboard which I think was what hurt us the most. The staying power of said eager rookies was probably questioned too with the Royals and Rats boasting several SFA regulars in their bids. Unfortunately we came up short but it wasn’t for lack of trying, the Royals and Rats just had our measure.​

So season 16 started with two new Citizens but left a jilted Warriors bid stranded at the altar. The seed was sown however, and a new Messiah approached on the horizon in the form of a fat-arsed wombat...​

View attachment 1955634

It was towards the end of season 15, and expansion was in the air of Sweet as eight teams were looking to become ten. The only issue was there were three prospective suitors but only two roses. A pair of Hawks in Karnezis_13 & MG MG took a look at the Other Footy Games board and convinced a bunch of posters to get involved in a new team, some of whom have remained involved in the SFA, names such as Smartys Power eth-dog & Footypie32. They augmented this with some SFA talent including inaugural captain Frothies Mcveigh and commissioned lmach to put together a logo and a kit, and from there the name was created and the bid was launched. The OFG Warriors were born!

View attachment 1955705
View attachment 1955706
View attachment 1955707

I'll let Frothies Mcveigh take up the story at this point:

So season 16 started with two new Citizens but left a jilted Warriors bid stranded at the altar. The seed was sown however, and a new Messiah approached on the horizon in the form of a fat-arsed wombat...​

The real Warriors died that day my friends.

Sad Team Green GIF by Game of Thrones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not gonna lie, saw you tag me in a thread with this title and it was the equivalent of SFA pr0n (even if it was effectively teasing in the end).
Clean my pool.

Moment Two - Admission To The SFA New
1713313731221.png

After the disappointment of the OFG Warriors bid not getting up, many of the protagonists went their separate ways. But the Warriors brand still resonated with the punters and the concept of basing an expansion side on another BigFooty board was sound, so when the next call for expansion came up towards the end of season 17 there was a blueprint for success ready to be picked up.

Enter Frankston Rover.

After 116 games across four different clubs and a stint as league Administrator, the cube-sh*tting marsupial from the base of the Mornington Peninsula spent a five-season-long hiatus at a place wilder than his native Frankston - the Bay 13 board. The pull of the SFA however became too strong and, after a red herring call for clubs to recruit him, Frankie announced that he would come out of retirement and be the spokeswombat for an expansion bid that Jenga'd on top of the OFG Warriors bid ("rejuvenated, refreshed & improved"), and he would be bringing some of his fellow Bayside residents with him. As he put it:
Our playing list is developing and already has fantastic talent and personality. Some of these players will be known to you but a majority are new to the Sweet FA.

This was a strong philosophy of this bid – not merely to pillage the opposition but to inject new players, new ideas and a new vision for the Sweet FA.

A club where players can enjoy their footy. Where players have a say in the decisions being made and where the journey to greatness is shared by everyone.​

The playing kit was also adapted from the OFG one, and lmach tweaked it for the new bid.

1713356276051.png
1713356309062.png
1713356337200.png

As Frankie described the kit:
The emblem is the exact embodiment of the clubs philosophy – powerful and strong, vibrant and distinctive.

The orange, black and white colours are unique. They are bold and, if I do say so myself, the best looking jumper in the competition.​

With the support of inaugural vice captain Sydney Bloods OFG bid leader Karnezis_13 & OrdinaryJoel, Frankie went about recruiting a team that had little SFA experience but plenty of chutzpah. Some like zackah Mofra Smoooothy & Lord_Flashheart are still around, while others went on to be club captains (BigJoeD_), life members (zackah, Smoooothy, Frankie, Flash, Joe & candiehappy) & win Fred Medals (Stronzo).

After a couple of exhibition games, the two expansion bids were put to a vote - a reborn Las Vegas franchise and a replumbed Warriors team. League Admin at the time okeydoke7 takes up the story:
During my reign as admin, the most divisive issue in the league was expansion. I was staunchly pro-expansion, some were firmly anti-expansion and others were happy to consider it only of the right bids came along.

With expansion on the agenda, the bids brewed behind the scenes. The Warriors bid was formed along with the Las Vegas Bears bid. The Bears probably had some higher profile posters and a few more new posters in the works, so they certainly won the PR war. And all of a sudden, the Warriors bid started to gain a bit of negativity and was perceived by some as the weaker bid. Frankston Rover was in regular contact with me in the months and weeks leading up to the vote, working with me on what could be done to get it over the line. He was fantastic.

I initiated the committee vote, with a majority required for a license to be granted. The Warriors failed to get the majority, but did manage to get a TIED vote (the Bears got through with their majority). The tied vote allowed me as league administrator to cast the deciding vote and break the tie.

And the rest is history.​

And the history?
Both teams were accepted by ours was considered the weaker bid. The vote was 5-5 but Admin gave us the nod.

But WGAF now - we're in baby!

alright Boy's, Girls and Toaster Ovens!

It's Officially official! the warriors are IN!

Be on the look out for a New season 18 team thread coming soon and remember Active posters are healthy posters, but more importantly get better spots.

To any posters are yet to commit themselves to a team season 18 recruiting is still open here at the Warrior's FC

Well done guys. Top effort.

And thus the Coney Island Warriors was born!

EPILOGUE:

Just for you TheInjuryFactory - the first use of David Patrick Kelly's often-imitated bottle action (fun fact: the actor has two black belts)
Everyone involved is looking forward to the chance to pull the guernsey on and show that the Warriors are a force. Should you wish to join us or even if you are curious, please PM me. Confidentiality is guaranteed.​

From all the players and management of the Coney Island Warriors, we thank you and we look forward to seeing you on the field next season.

Warriors - Come out to plaaaay…

Moment Three - The First Match New
1714023462356.png

It was official - the Coney Island Warriors were officially admitted to the SFA. The bid was signed off, the team was assembled, and the initial team thread was posted. It was time to get into some actual qooty and to officially don the famous persimmon orange guernsey for the very first time as we entered season 18 of the SFA.

In devising the fixture for season 18, league supremo okeydoke7 decided to pit the Warriors up against the re-included Las Vegas Bears at home for their first match for premiership points. He then went one step further, and on the 16th of June 2014 he posted our first match thread. And the first 47 pages of banter began, led by Frankston Rover for us and pantskyle for the Las Vegans. In fact there were a few future Warriors in the Bears squad, even though at the time the sounded like a bunch of whiny bitches:
Las Vegas Bears in da house!!!

What the hell is Van Cortlandt Park? Perhaps Frankston Rover can explain that one for us.

We all know that the Bears are the better expansion team. We've got the better posters and better players. This should be all too easy.
Well I think both teams are finally happy to be at this point. I have endless amounts of respect for those that kept the Warriors viable.

That's where the respect ends. Nothing is more important than seeing the Bears win this match. Warriors you have been warned.
Well now Bears we have arrived safely at our destination, Coney Island. Enjoy the week and go on the ferris wheel.
******* hell, only took me about 3 days to get out here, who the * plays games at Van Cortlandt Park? For that matter, where the * is Van Cortlandt Park?

Bears by 35.
I trust he made the right choice.

You on the other hand. What the * is a Coney Island hot dog? I've eaten seven of them already.
Despite this, the Warriors were up and about:​

Biggest game of the round in my opinion.

Really need both sides to come out and support each other.

Good luck to the Bears but I'm confident we can get the job done.
potential game of the year for mine

i can feel a dynasty coming..
Dynasty Warriors. #nerdpun
Pretty stoked to be making my long awaited and much talked about debut :thumbsu:
Go Warriors. Can't wait to smash the Bears by 10 goals.
Good to see the warriors up and about for round 1.

Not all of our opponents will sook this much, surely?
And then the sh*t stirring began. Frankie Sydney Bloods Smoooothy Stronzo thetradesman zackah & invinciBlues vs Juggs pants Halfy,Magruder brahj Matera92 & Quivorir. It got heated for a bit, and by a bit I mean the whole week. Makes the SFA of today look tame as heck.

On the 18th of June Frankston Rover submitted our first team sheet:​

Based on our form in the Practice Matches, I haven't thrown the side completely around.

Official Team Sheet for Round 1 - The inaugural Coney Island Warriors side - is:

1714031303982.png

B: amos, Sydney Bloods, oogac
HB: Mofra, Frankston Rover, Plugger35
C: Lord_Flashheart, Smoooothy, thetradesman
HF: BigJoeD_, alex_is_on_fire, Stronzo
F: Brucie Buffer, invinciBLUES, deathevocation
FOLL: Haduken, candiehappy, zackah
I/C: DeeWong6996, Aussie Rocker​

Good luck to everyone and Go the Warriors!

Included in the lineup were many SFA debutants including zackah Mofra Lord_Flashheart BigJoeD_ candiehappy & Stronzo.

And then the first game day came and on the 22nd of June 2014 some bloke named Logger posted our first match in warm conditions. Haduken kicked our first goal 2.19 in, but in a see-sawing first quarter the Bears finished 5 points ahead. We kicked the first three goals of the second quarter only for the visitors to respond in kind to take a 6 point lead to the half. A three goal to two third quarter cut the Bears lead to a single point at the final change, but then the Warriors found an extra gear and goals to alex_is_on_fire candiehappy thetradesman & deathevocation saw them lead by 16 points with 7 minutes remaining. Things got nervy from there with two late Vegan goals, however it wasn't enough by the final siren, with the Warriors winning their first game by three points!​

Rich (BB code):
CIW SENIORS Vs LVB SENIORS
CIW               4    2        7    4        10   6        14   7    91     
LVB               5    1        8    4        10   7        13   10   88     
CIW        HO  K  M  H  T  FF FA G  B   Dt  LVB         HO  K  M  H  T  FF FA G  B   Dt
Aussie Roc  0  1  1  3  0  0  1  0  0    9  Big Cox 88   0  7  3  11 3  0  1  1  0   67
Sydney Blo  0  4  2  6  1  0  1  0  0   31  FiveString   0  5  6  2  0  0  0  0  0   37
Mr_Smooth   0  9  2  6  0  0  0  1  0   51  GreatBradS   0  5  0  4  0  0  1  0  0   20
Mofra       0  3  2  3  3  1  1  0  0   31  brahj        0  10 10 9  1  1  1  0  0   80
Frankston   0  7  2  5  0  3  2  0  0   34  getgaff      0  10 5  4  0  0  1  0  0   50
Plugger35   0  7  3  8  0  0  1  0  0   43  Magruder     0  8  4  4  1  1  2  0  0   43
Lord_Flash  0  16 4  7  1  0  0  0  0   78  Brown Bott   0  9  4  15 3  1  0  0  0   82
DeeWong699  0  4  3  5  3  1  0  0  0   44  The Half B   0  9  5  14 2  0  0  0  0   78
thetradesm  0  10 3  12 2  0  1  2  1   81  Quivorir     0  10 4  16 2  0  1  0  0   79
oogac       0  6  2  4  0  0  1  0  0   29  kane249      0  4  5  8  0  0  1  1  0   46
alex_is_on  0  14 8  13 1  0  2  2  1  103  Matera92     0  10 6  7  1  1  3  0  4   62
Stronzo     0  6  7  13 1  0  2  2  0   75  hilly        0  2  3  3  0  0  1  1  0   24
Brucie Buf  0  2  0  0  0  0  0  1  1   13  Greater Ga   0  2  0  0  0  0  1  2  0   15
invinciBLU  0  3  0  1  0  0  0  2  1   24  Juggalo Ba   0  9  1  0  2  1  1  7  2   80
deathevoca  0  2  0  1  1  0  0  1  1   19  Bryce_Jers   0  1  0  0  0  0  0  0  1    4
Haduken     8  10 0  12 4  1  0  1  0   85  pantskyle    14 10 0  12 2  3  1  0  0   76
candiehapp  0  9  0  13 7  5  2  1  1   87  Dingster     0  1  0  4  1  0  0  0  0   15
Zackah      0  9  0  7  5  4  1  1  0   68  saintkilda   0  19 0  9  6  4  0  1  3  112
BigJoeD     0  3  1  1  0  0  0  0  1   15  DemonJim     0  6  0  9  3  3  0  0  0   51
amos        0  1  1  3  0  0  0  0  0   12  ioppolo      0  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0    2

There were big games from alex_is_on_fire candiehappy Haduken thetradesman Lord_Flashheart Stronzo & zackah, and the team were celebrating a first up victory.
YYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
Woooohooooo!!!1!,,111!!!
Yes * YES, VICTORY Over The Scum!

1714032690657.png

Inaugural match, * being kind you arrogant campaigners!
You ******* beauty!

Great game, great win!
You little ripper

Beat the Scumbags!
And as for zackah's reaction, well...

1714032911960.png

And just like that, the Coney Island Warriors were off and running!​

Remove this Banner Ad

Back