Autopsy The not even The Bont, Libbas and Jones' heroics can drag us over the line against the cats thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching problem uno.

Doesn’t help that tonight we have 2 million dollars in salary cap either sitting in the 2s (Lobb) or getting subbed in/out of games (Daniel/Macrae).

The blowtorch applied to Macrae in recent weeks should absolutely be applied to Caleb Daniel right now. He belongs at VFL currently.

Felt like we played about as well as we could have hoped for, but still couldn't get the win.

Too many misses at crucial times and passengers.

We've improved on last year which is a positive, but I think we're still in the 6-10 team at the moment.

We played close to our best. I don’t think we can whinge too much to whinge about. Treloar, Bont and Libba absolutely brilliant. Jones and Buku were terrific. Darcy and Jamarra had their moments. Gag’s and Westy on the up.

We are a far better team than the end of last year.

Disappointing it took until the last quarter for our forward pressure to actually show up. Yes the effort to fight back multiple times was valiant but the caveat is the Cats were coming off a 5 day break which they played in the wet and had a delay to boot.

We kicked 14.7 you can hardly blame goal-kicking....

Vandermeer's howler was probably the only one that should have been a certainty. And if course they took it down and kicked one straight away.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

We going to ignore the 7 shots that didn’t register a score?

Lost by 4 points. I reckon it might have contributed.

Can’t question the effort. Everyone had a crack tonight.

We have the cattle to be top 6 but the way our coaches have this team playing is deplorable and so so predictable. Our forward structure and quality of entries is just shambolic.

Do you think we will ever see Naughton move back during Bevo’s tenure? What does he offer over Darcy and Jamarra? We can’t have all 3 down there and Darcy has already gone past him.

Our list is miles better than theirs. We are wasting it and it’s infuriating.

Yes, the players have to execute but Geelong is executing with an inferior list because they are trained and coached to execute, week in and week out. They pick a balanced team across the ground, have leadership and a winning culture, which starts with the head coach.

We have a bunch of inconsistent individual stars and near zero game plan, especially up forward.

Bont and Libba will be completely shot by round 10 then we will plummet, miss the 8 and Bevo will be sacked. It’s so obvious. Book mark it.

Our mids: Bont, Libba and Treloar gave us everything they had. Jones was brilliant. Some of our flankers were pretty impotent: Dale, JJ, Gallagher, Williams. Vandermeer is not AFL standard. Daniel was very poor. Naughton should study the way Cameron plays; try to work up the ground more. English made a better effort in the last quarter but he needs to be a lot better in the energy department.
In the end we just couldn't get it done which is no surprise against this mob.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sick of losing to Geelong year on year.

We either have a lot of dumb footballers or a game plan they don’t understand.

We don’t defend opposition transition in any decent way at all.

Our forward line is not cohesive and seem to lack understanding of where to move and don’t connect with our midfield. This has to come back to the forward coach at this point. They have been together long enough and he’s had a couple years now.

Wasted chances yet again so many missed chances that didn’t even score.

Also our coaches hatred for the sub continues to mean we pick our 23rd player week to week rather than a sub who can be impactful such as inject speed and break the game open.

I thought we would go one way or the other this year, either into the top 6 or down to the bottom 6. 4 rounds in I think we will be 7-12 again and having no meaningful impact

If people can’t see the difference from last year they have to be a serious pessimist.

So much better in every way, from last year just feel short in some of the more simple facets of the games. Stupid turnovers, bad misses and bad execution in the I50.

It’s ******* so good to watch Bont and Libba go at it. I really back this team to do good things this season.
Your delusional.

The good
  • The effort is there. This team is giving everything to try and win.
  • Buku is really showing something.
  • Darcy will be a potential superstar forward/ruck.
  • Libbas game was literally insane.

The bad
  • VDM Missing one 15m out directly in front
  • Jamarra missing one 35m out straight in front.
  • Several regulation snaps missing everything.
This team literally trained ******* goal kicking this week with blindfolds on and the coach was having a giggle about it. heck me dead.
  • That goal line review that OVERRULED a decision with two frames of slow motion vision that was not conclusive considering one frame went their way and one frame went our way. Another gifted Geelong goal. We lost by under a goal. Absolute clown car of a slow motion review system.
  • We are losing games in the coaches box now. It's clear as crystal.

So many two goal turn arounds. No run from out of the backline. Liber, Bont, Treloar awesome. West good. Jones smashed Hawkins. Can’t wait for Tom Stewart to retire, I can’t remember a player who just kills us every time like he does.

You're right, we shouldn't be judging our performances relative to the quality we have on our list, we should be judging it relative to last year's failure. What matters is incremental improvement on a terrible year.

Beveridge deserves credit. Last year we lost to Geelong by 22 points. This time we only lost by 4 points. There is clearly a difference, and clearly it has nothing to do with Geelong coming off a 5 day break.
Duryea was good in patches but a couple of his kicks were absolutely barry crockers. I feel like if we're relying on him to hold the backline together we're not a finals side.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back