Autopsy The not even The Bont, Libbas and Jones' heroics can drag us over the line against the cats thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is replacing Hawkins and Cameron?
Shannon Neale will be well developed to take over from Hawkins after spending a few years in the VFL.

Cameron will have a few years left. Remember they have always had a strong ability to attract opposition talent to fill gaps.

Sweet will play in the seconds all year for port.

I have (and never will) see a teams starting ruckman replaced with a magical strong physical type when they play the dogs.

English was good.Not the reason we lost.

Beveridge just likes playing the best ruckman on our list.
Ok bro.

Stanley was one of Geelong's most influential players last night for a reason. If you can't see it, you can't see it.

Shannon Neale will be well developed to take over from Hawkins after spending a few years in the VFL.

Cameron will have a few years left. Remember they have always had a strong ability to attract opposition talent to fill gaps.
Now that is a big yikes. Can guarantee you right now he won't even be 1/4 the player Hawkins is.

Geelong have a good recruiting record but they are not magic. We clearly had the better team last night, but were held back by the usual problems.

This is what annoys me.
Are we supposed to be happy just with incremental improvement?
Bontempelli turns 29 this year. Libba 32. Are you expecting them to just keep producing A-Grade football while we make our incremental improvements every year, yet never taking a big step?
We should've been perennial contenders starting at 2020. Now we are celebrating just not being total garbage like we were in 2023? Celebrating getting within 4 points of an aging side that missed finals last year and has beaten us 18 of the last 21 encounters?(who were coming off a 5 day break and missing their best midfielder & captain).
Not buying it.
Mm

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

see a teams starting ruckman replaced with a magical strong physical type when they play the dogs.
What's the business about a "magical strong" type? What has magic got to do with it?
Geelong brought in Stanley for this game. He proceeded to have more hitouts than English despite being 8cm shorter. You can't put that down to English being a "promising young player" anymore, he turns 27 this year.
This is a clear-cut case of a team bringing in a strong, physical ruckman in to play the Bulldogs and have a significant impact. Nothing "magic" about it, it's simply part of the blueprint to beating Luke Beveridge.
This can be traced to his first year at the club, where he dropped Will Minson to give Ayce Cordy a run of games. There is no way you can tell me in good faith Cordy was ever better than Minson. The coach simply favoured mobility over strength and power, and still does to this day.

Now that is a big yikes. Can guarantee you right now he won't even be 1/4 the player Hawkins is.

Geelong have a good recruiting record but they are not magic. We clearly had the better team last night, but were held back by the usual problems.
I don’t think we clearly had the better team at all. Geelong matched or bettered us in the area that will decide games for us.

100 disposals between Bont Libba and Treloar didn't amount to what it should at face value and those 3 were troubled by the robust bursts of their younger less vaunted opponents.

What they replace Hawkins and Cameron with is irrelevant this year whilst they bed in their next crop of midfielders.

Enough about them. We lack speed and composure amongst our ranks is not widespread.

A few could take a leaf out Miers' book when it comes to going I50. Kick to the space for the fwd to run into and onto. Doesn't really matter how tall your fwds are if you have a few who can do that.

We have targeted Naughton just 10 times in 4 matches, the same as West. Clearly, the directive is to get it to Jamarra who we have targeted 34 times but he has kicked just 6 goals for the season.

It's pretty simple either we need to stark-kicking it to Naughton or he doesn't belong in the F50.

View attachment 1952775

I can't wait to watch a replay.

From what I recall JUH was misjudging the ball, running under it a lot and generally being frustrating for most of the game.
His last 10 minutes very nearly made yo for it all.

How do the targets line up with the heat maps Oliver G ?

Are we targeting Astro less because he is pushing further up the ground?

That Williams push and mark had to be one of the most egregious missed calls I can remember. Bailey did the textbook definition of taking his opponent out of the contest illegally.

That Williams push and mark had to be one of the most egregious missed calls I can remember. Bailey did the textbook definition of taking his opponent out of the contest illegally.
We are the only team that doesn't do this and every other team gets away with it, commentators always remark if it's a half contested free for us

Treloar was very panicy early the last quarter he was composed needs to be more patient I'd rather he get tackled holding the ball once in a while than bad rushed

Daniel should play off the bench as a plug and play player McRae off the bench and Bont plays forward a little more

Gallagher slightly less midfield minutes in big games

What's the business about a "magical strong" type? What has magic got to do with it?
Geelong brought in Stanley for this game. He proceeded to have more hitouts than English despite being 8cm shorter. You can't put that down to English being a "promising young player" anymore, he turns 27 this year.
This is a clear-cut case of a team bringing in a strong, physical ruckman in to play the Bulldogs and have a significant impact. Nothing "magic" about it, it's simply part of the blueprint to beating Luke Beveridge.
This can be traced to his first year at the club, where he dropped Will Minson to give Ayce Cordy a run of games. There is no way you can tell me in good faith Cordy was ever better than Minson. The coach simply favoured mobility over strength and power, and still does to this day.

Stanley was brought in because he was fit, not because English was playing.

Stanley has never been considered a strong physical type.He is a very similar player if you ask me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't believe that Smith was/is the answer. The answer plays for Port but unfortunately that ship has sailed.

He's the answer when it comes to the only metric that matters. He's currently on the list.

We absolutely miss his run and carry. Even if it can be somewhat flawed.
I'm a little disappointed that we let that ruck go last year (can't remember his name). We could really have dragged a few down to our level with his size and strength and willingness to hurt people.

Im not. He's a state league player who the team he went to saw the fit to recruit another ruckman at the same time.

Anyways. AFAIK it was his choice to leave. I guess that he knew were he sat on the list and if his future was as a back up to others. He might as well do that in the city of his birth near to family and friends.
I agree that Melbourne has us covered. They uncannily have a list that is uniquely shaped to fully exploit our every weakness and Geelong and GWS not too far behind.

There has to be an answer or the hope of an answer somewhere though otherwise we are treading water till the next draft/trade period.
Indeed they do.

My posts in this thread may read like Im down on our performance last night. Im not, I think we can and probably will be there abouts for the finals. What Im on about are the structural issues that are hampering our side from being able to beat on other mid range or lower ranked sides, but not being anything more than competitive cannon fodder for the better teams in the competition.

Issues that for all our thrashing about, were in stark relief last night. The cats were able to keep us at arms length for much of the night and it ultimately cost us a getable win when the Cats began to run out of legs in the last.
I believe the answer lies within the madness of Bevo. It's left of left field.
Ive been a critic of Bevo over the pre-season, but it's clear to see what he's trying to do when it comes to reshaping the side and how it plays. The problem is that many of the issues that have plagued this side haven't really been addressed by the changes that he has introduced.

Now this probably has a lot to do with the fall off in form of a number of our mid range senior players who should be helping to shoulder the load that the likes of The Bont and Libba carry. But unfortunately they haven't been able to rise to the occasion. Instead we're seeing that load be transferred to rookies and cast offs from other sides. As Ive said elsewhere in this thread. Its a big ask.

Last edited:
This is what annoys me.
Are we supposed to be happy just with incremental improvement?
Bontempelli turns 29 this year. Libba 32. Are you expecting them to just keep producing A-Grade football while we make our incremental improvements every year, yet never taking a big step?
We should've been perennial contenders starting at 2020. Now we are celebrating just not being total garbage like we were in 2023? Celebrating getting within 4 points of an aging side that missed finals last year and has beaten us 18 of the last 21 encounters?(who were coming off a 5 day break and missing their best midfielder & captain).
Not buying it.
Its enough to make you cry. We are watching Beverage burn through the final years of some amazing players. Our executive is too gutless to put a very obvious trigger. I’ve gone through rage and reached both despair and misery. We have absolutely improved but our core coaching issue remains.

Champ - I was questioning your statement that clubs bring in other ruckman when they play the dogs.doesn’t happen.
No clue.
Stanley was brought in because he was fit, not because English was playing.

Stanley has never been considered a strong physical type.He is a very similar player if you ask me.
Ok, you don't know what type of player Stanley is. Also every Geelong fan will tell you Conway is their future, and that he should be replacing Stanley in the near future.

Stanley is absolutely a "strong, physical" ruckman. This isn't subject to debate. If you don't know what type of player he is, just say so.

This isn't subject to debate.

Look, I don't care either way in your Stanley discussion.

But in an online forum like this, everything is subject to debate, and everyone has a right to an opinion. If you disagree, that's fine, but that sort of tone doesn't help.

Look, I don't care either way in your Stanley discussion.

But in an online forum like this, everything is subject to debate, and everyone has a right to an opinion. If you disagree, that's fine, but that sort of tone doesn't help.
Why should I afford goodwill to a poster who begins his post addressing me as "champ"?

Everything is subject to debate? Would that include the suggestion that Vandermeer is a better player than the Bont?
Different strokes for different folks. For me, anyone who suggests Rhys Stanley is "a very similar type of player" to Tim English is clearly wrong. Simple as that.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 182729.png

I mean, I guess you could say they are similar. They both jump for the ball in ruck contests. That is definitely a similarity in the way Tim and Rhys go about their game.

Why should I afford goodwill to a poster who begins his post addressing me as "champ"?

Everything is subject to debate? Would that include the suggestion that Vandermeer is a better player than the Bont?
Different strokes for different folks. For me, anyone who suggests Rhys Stanley is "a very similar type of player" to Tim English is clearly wrong. Simple as that.

To quote your prior post to him, ok bro. Goodwill right there? Good luck on BF. Cheerio.

No more combative and disrespectful posting will be tolerated.

Surely not coincidence it’s another member that only joined today that is straight into arguing with people?

Not good enough but a fair bit to like.

Felt Cameron running up and down the ground was the real difference. We just didn't have anyone who could go with him.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's why I would like to see JOD back in to release Buku to be able to have a more roaming role to match up on a Cameron or be more intercept focused

Remove this Banner Ad

Back