Rumour The North Ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, the death of another club means losing supporters to the game, and taking away something they hold dear.

However, some options seem to get discussed way more than others.
Folding - death of a club
Merging - likelihood of losing some supporters
Relocation - likelihood of losing some supports - but the club lives on
Dropping back to the VFL - this one seems to never get discussed, and keeps a club alive. A club saying you know what, we've exhausted our avenues for success in the AFL, if we went back down one, we could be a powerhouse in the VFL.
I can't see it happening though, too much ego involved.
The VFL is no longer a legitimate league in its own right given so many of the clubs use it as a praccy ground for their listed but not selected players.

The VFL is no longer a legitimate league in its own right given so many of the clubs use it as a praccy ground for their listed but not selected players.

And is also on its last legs with port Adelaide wanting to join a standalone afl reserves competition too.

Im subscribed to the OPs theory.

I do believe the AFL are manufacturing or at least assisting North to an untenable position where a relocation will not be hindered by a demoralised and broken supporter base as it was in 2007.

Im subscribed to the OPs theory.

I do believe the AFL are manufacturing or at least assisting North to an untenable position where a relocation will not be hindered by a demoralised and broken supporter base as it was in 2007.
There's shades of the what happened to the Seattle Sonics.

That said, would they really be dumb enough and upset that many fans? Although North is small and the fans are embattled, they're still a very old club and ripping it out of that community is a risky move, even if they are terrible. Also the element of women's football which has actually been quite good bar the worst name in world sports. North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos just doesn't work. I don't know a single Tasmanian who claims the Roos as the Tassie Roos like they did with the Hawks.

There's shades of the what happened to the Seattle Sonics.

That said, would they really be dumb enough and upset that many fans? Although North is small and the fans are embattled, they're still a very old club and ripping it out of that community is a risky move, even if they are terrible. Also the element of women's football which has actually been quite good bar the worst name in world sports. North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos just doesn't work. I don't know a single Tasmanian who claims the Roos as the Tassie Roos like they did with the Hawks.
As dog s**t as we have been over the past 5 years we still registered 51k members in 2023. If we were up and about I would be confident North wouldnt have the lowest Victorian membership so the AFL cant play the poor membership spiralling debt card.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evidence?
It’s sort of something I feel every club is guilty of these days.

I definitely know people who have bought three or four memberships themselves to donate to the club and are still counted in the tally separately. I also know many members who have a Kayo deal and a whatever else but still get counted as two even though it’s the same person.

It’s sort of something I feel every club is guilty of these days.

I definitely know people who have bought three or four memberships themselves to donate to the club and are still counted in the tally separately. I also know many members who have a Kayo deal and a whatever else but still get counted as two even though it’s the same person.
Here's my evidence, I have a Kayo membership for two reasons

• It's a $100 cheaper a year than a standard Kayo subscription.
  • Can't for the life of me get an interstate membership, which I'd prefer.

Your analogy is still two memberships.

Either or, I don't see evidence of North members buying Kayo memberships purely for the purpose of increasing the member numbers.

Here's my evidence, I have a Kayo membership for two reasons

• It's a $100 cheaper a year than a standard Kayo subscription.
  • Can't for the life of me get an interstate membership, which I'd prefer.

Your analogy is still two memberships.

Either or, I don't see evidence of North members buying Kayo memberships purely for the purpose of increasing the member numbers.
There’s nothing wrong with a Kayo membership - I’ve done it interstate as well.

However, North members buying a Kayo and a match attendance one would boost numbers as they don’t differentiate. Happens at every club so not isolated but worth stating.

There’s nothing wrong with a Kayo membership - I’ve done it interstate as well.

However, North members buying a Kayo and a match attendance one would boost numbers as they don’t differentiate. Happens at every club so not isolated but worth stating.
Like I said, I've yet to see evidence that North members buying Kayo memberships is wholly and solely for the purpose of boosting the numbers.

However that seems to be the allusion, but no evidence of this conspiracy.

Like I said, I've yet to see evidence that North members buying Kayo memberships is wholly and solely for the purpose of boosting the numbers.

However that seems to be the allusion, but no evidence of this conspiracy.
It’s not for the purpose of boosting numbers but it does make their 50,000 member tally inaccurate as it’s not individual members.

It’s not for the purpose of boosting numbers but it does make their 50,000 member tally inaccurate as it’s not individual members.
So what's the point then? Someone buys a membership and then buys a Kayo membership coz it's cheaper and therefore two memberships for one person. Who phuqin cares?

That doesn't justify the narrative of the 'Ultimatum'

Many on here want to see the death of North coz they're held up by HQ and by extension the other clubs, 'there a nothing club let's get rid of em'

HQ aren't gonna give up 45k members and hazard a guess a couple hunge K paying non members.

I don't get the hate, as much as I hate Carlton, Richmond and Essendon, I'd NEVER wish them to fold.

But some w***kers on here want North to die off, yeah well they can phuq off!

Yes like Carlton
Exactly, but I am not sitting here quoting ‘membership’ numbers as relevant to this discussion, crowd numbers even though I am certain they get fudged and tv ratings are a far more accurate figure on how engaged a fan base is.

Exactly, but I am not sitting here quoting ‘membership’ numbers as relevant to this discussion, crowd numbers even though I am certain they get fudged and tv ratings are a far more accurate figure on how engaged a fan base is.
So your theory is then that North members only buy memberships to fudge the numbers up, so why bother doing that? If they're not 'engaged' with the club?

So your theory is then that North members only buy memberships to fudge the numbers up, so why bother doing that? If they're not 'engaged' with the club?
No, I think the AfL encourage all clubs to fudge the numbers to give the perception that the popularity of the game is growing at a greater level than is actually true. This isn’t specific to North, but memberships as a measuring stick are useless.

No, I think the AfL encourage all clubs to fudge the numbers to give the perception that the popularity of the game is growing at a greater level than is actually true. This isn’t specific to North, but memberships as a measuring stick are useless.
So what does that have to do with the 'ultimatum'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back