Rumour The North Ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

Tis
What I don't get is the wish of some on here to see the death of another club, it's abhorrent imo

Its a weird position to actively want to see another club disappear., Ive never understood it myself. I mean I hate Collingwood and Essendon and Richmond but I woouldnt want to advocate for their removal from the comp.

Tis

Its a weird position to actively want to see another club disappear., Ive never understood it myself. I mean I hate Collingwood and Essendon and Richmond but I woouldnt want to advocate for their removal from the comp.

I don’t want to see any club die. However, in my opinion the talent pool is not large enough for an 18 team competition, let alone 20 teams.

There are 10 teams in one state, as footy mad as Melbourne is I think the crowd numbers show that it isn’t sustainable.

North Melbourne have a great opportunity now to re-emerge as a new brand.

Moving to the ACT and replacing the GIANTS sounds easy ... until you see the work the GIANTS have done in Canberra and will continue to do. They actually have a strong base there and it's arguably very important given their situation in Sydney. Losing access to the Riverina won't help, either.

What North should be doing is targeting both multicultural communities and country Victoria. Go out to the regions, be a presence and people start to take note. Immigrants to Australia have learnt and loved the game before - it's not impossible and a huge myth they only like soccer. Heaps of people follow both soccer and footy.

If they're really stuck, they could find an international area like America to compliment other zones. USAFL is emerging and Cox can't be the only American capable of playing in the 2020s.

Tassie is now out of the conversation - they have the Devils brand and they're sticking with it. They don't need more road kill anyway.

Ive always thought they should be looking at Bendigo (pop 124,000). Get some upgrades for Queen Elizabeth Oval and effectively replicate what the Bulldogs are doing in Ballarat (130,000) - its only an extra 20 minutes drive (over ballarat), and be able to draw crowds from Melbourne and down from the riverina.

I don’t want to see any club die. However, in my opinion the talent pool is not large enough for an 18 team competition, let alone 20 teams.

There are 10 teams in one state, as footy mad as Melbourne is I think the crowd numbers show that it isn’t sustainable.

The crowd numbers dont show any such thing. Not every club is going to be big and as long as the AFL insists on an uneven fixture, these clubs are going to be shoe horned into unpopular timeslots on less popular attendance days featuring non victorian clubs at less popular venues.

Yep I know, like I said it's in the charter, a proposal has to be forward to all the clubs in the competition and then a majority vote would have to get up for it to get up. Would never happen, not sure why you think my post is a load of sh*t.
Why would the other clubs vote to continue bankrolling them when they are a drain on the comp and with no foreseeable growth opportunity. If an alternate team was presented as an option it would be voted in.

Why would the other clubs vote to continue bankrolling them when they are a drain on the comp and with no foreseeable growth opportunity. If an alternate team was presented as an option it would be voted in.
Other clubs don't 'bankroll' North, all clubs contribute to the product and all draw from the coffers.

Your question could also be directed at clubs like GC and GWS, why bother if there's little if any public interest? The reasons they exist are obvious.

What is your 'alternate' club that has 45k members? And what makes you think they're draining the competition? And what makes you think they have no foreseeable growth opportunity?

Tis

Yes but Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond are big clubs that generate big emotions from those that love and hate them… North on the other hand besides a few passionate fans no one really cares about them..

Other clubs don't 'bankroll' North, all clubs contribute to the product and all draw from the coffers.

Your question could also be directed at clubs like GC and GWS, why bother if there's little if any public interest? The reasons they exist are obvious.

What is your 'alternate' club that has 45k members? And what makes you think they're draining the competition? And what makes you think they have no foreseeable growth opportunity?
The revenue goes into one pot but you honestly don’t think Collingwood, West Cost Carlton etc wouldn’t be looking at the tv figures of their own games and feel that they are generating the lions share of the revenue.. GWS & GC have been seen as a strategic decision to expand growth, North have no possibility of growth in the current market.. Essendon dominate the supporter base from Acot Vale to Sunbury, Dogs have Footscray to Lara, Pies & Blues share the inner and outer norther suburbs.. The Kangaroos just don’t fit anywhere,

The revenue goes into one pot but you honestly don’t think Collingwood, West Cost Carlton etc wouldn’t be looking at the tv figures of their own games and feel that they are generating the lions share of the revenue.. GWS & GC have been seen as a strategic decision to expand growth, North have no possibility of growth in the current market.. Essendon dominate the supporter base from Acot Vale to Sunbury, Dogs have Footscray to Lara, Pies & Blues share the inner and outer norther suburbs.. The Kangaroos just don’t fit anywhere,

You dont think the smaller clubs dont look at the timeslots and tv times and favourable stadium deals these larger clubs are getting and figure out that they are being kept in a cycle where they lack the exposure and opportiunity to move much, and then if they drop out of form, the floor just drops beneath them.

What I don't get is the wish of some on here to see the death of another club, it's abhorrent imv.

Agree, the death of another club means losing supporters to the game, and taking away something they hold dear.

However, some options seem to get discussed way more than others.
Folding - death of a club
Merging - likelihood of losing some supporters
Relocation - likelihood of losing some supports - but the club lives on
Dropping back to the VFL - this one seems to never get discussed, and keeps a club alive. A club saying you know what, we've exhausted our avenues for success in the AFL, if we went back down one, we could be a powerhouse in the VFL.
I can't see it happening though, too much ego involved.

The crowd numbers dont show any such thing. Not every club is going to be big and as long as the AFL insists on an uneven fixture, these clubs are going to be shoe horned into unpopular timeslots on less popular attendance days featuring non victorian clubs at less popular venues.

I feel if you can’t consistently draw 30k+ against non-Vic sides regardless of time slot in a state as footy mad as Victoria it suggests that there might be too many clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive always thought they should be looking at Bendigo (pop 124,000). Get some upgrades for Queen Elizabeth Oval and effectively replicate what the Bulldogs are doing in Ballarat (130,000) - its only an extra 20 minutes drive (over ballarat), and be able to draw crowds from Melbourne and down from the riverina.
Bendigo is reminiscent of Hawthorn's Launceston. Could be a great area to build community connections. Launceston is in a football state where nearly everyone has a team but has a higher-than-average amount of Hawthorn fans simply due to the work Hawthorn has done. Bendigo has a slightly higher population. Has access to NSW. Why are GWS the only team involved with the Riverina or in the OMFL. Albury another mine with talent.

Last edited:
You dont think the smaller clubs dont look at the timeslots and tv times and favourable stadium deals these larger clubs are getting and figure out that they are being kept in a cycle where they lack the exposure and opportiunity to move much, and then if they drop out of form, the floor just drops beneath them.
Carlton have had 5 Saturday twilight games in a row not on fta..

I feel if you can’t consistently draw 30k+ against non-Vic sides regardless of time slot in a state as footy mad as Victoria it suggests that there might be too many clubs.
Or the team playing is trash and with cost of living, there's no point watching a known result.

It has, Tasmania.

In order of importance to the AFL, North ranks 19th and has for some time.

North has never had a good supporter base even in its halcyon era. It's incapable of growing it in a crowded Melbourne marketplace anyway.

Should have taken the money and draft concessions offered to become the Gold Coast Kangaroos.

Last edited:
The revenue goes into one pot but you honestly don’t think Collingwood, West Cost Carlton etc wouldn’t be looking at the tv figures of their own games and feel that they are generating the lions share of the revenue.
Who cares?

There'll ALWAYS be bottom feeder clubs, name ANY competition that doesn't have lesser clubs / teams.

Going by your logic, if you're a club that doesn't generate the same revenue as the Blues / Pies / WC then you don't deserve to be in the competition.

Yeah nah, that ain't gonna fly mate.

Agree, the death of another club means losing supporters to the game, and taking away something they hold dear.

However, some options seem to get discussed way more than others.
Folding - death of a club, lose all of their supporters
Merging - likelihood of losing some most of their supporters
Relocation - likelihood of losing some most of their supports - but the club lives on
Dropping back to the VFL - this one seems to never get discussed, and keeps a club alive. A club saying you know what, we've exhausted our avenues for success in the AFL, if we went back down one, we could be a powerhouse in the VFL.
I can't see it happening though, too much ego involved.
This option apart from staying in the AFL would keep the most supporters

I don't see 'ego' as being a deciding factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back