Oppo Camp The Non North AFLW Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL backing controversial AFLW conference system but Bulldogs boss says split was wrong from start
FEBRUARY 15, 2019

The AFL failed to factor in significant player movement when it allocated teams into its controversial women’s league conferences, according to Western Bulldogs football boss Debbie Lee.

The league is backing its conference system despite the likelihood of lesser performed teams playing finals ahead of better credentialed rivals.

AFLW chief Nicole Livingstone said the league had no plans to revert to a conventional single ladder for its 10-team competition, despite a public outcry.

A clear divide has emerged with conference A teams registering 12 wins and conference B sides, just three. There have been nine conference crossover games with A teams winning every one and on average doubling the score of their conference B rivals.

The top two teams from each conference will qualify for the preliminary finals.

Livingstone linked the unbalanced conferences to the “unpredictable” nature of AFLW.

Lee said more weight should have been given to club lists rather than simply looking at 2018 ladder position to determine the conferences.

“There was a risk doing the conference system and the risk is obviously what’s happening now,” Lee said.

“I would have rethought how the teams were put into conferences. There wasn’t enough consideration around the lists, the player movement.

“If you finished first, if you finished second and you split them, that wasn’t even going to work because of the player movement.

“You can see teams that have lost players aren’t performing as well as they did last year and it’s clear, that’s as clear as day.

“If we had a conference system and Melbourne was in conference B and North Melbourne was in conference B (both are in conference A), I don’t think we’d be having this conversation.”

Western Bulldogs have won two of three games but sit last in Conference A behind unbeaten North Melbourne and Fremantle, and Melbourne and Adelaide.
The Dogs would be a game clear on top if they were in conference B, where Carlton, Geelong and Brisbane sit on one win ahead of winless GWS and Collingwood.

Lee said the Bulldogs were focused purely on winning games.

“You still need to come first or second in your conference so if you’re good enough, you’ll win it anyway,” Lee said.
Livingstone said the league was “happy with where we are” and rejected the suggestion the league had gone too early with splitting its competition, which grows to 14 teams next year.

“We’re sticking by the conference system … it’s an education and journey process for people that are following AFLW that we’re focusing on two ladders and two conferences, not one. (We’re) not merging them together,” she said.

“The races within the conference are exciting and we wanted exciting conference races.

“We have a set decision that two teams from each conference will come through into the prelim finals, one ladder would lead itself to having the top four teams off one ladder (playing in preliminary finals), which is not what the rules say.

“Everybody knew that two teams would go through from each conference … if you can’t be in the top two of your conference, are you the best team?

“People need to get their heads around the conferences.”

Absolutely laughable...

“If we had a conference system and Melbourne was in conference B and North Melbourne was in conference B (both are in conference A), I don’t think we’d be having this conversation.”

The Dogs would only be happy if the received an automatic GF spot as reigning premiers!

They lost one very good player in Kearney and a promising player in Bruton who has flourished under a better system.

They should look at how the perennial underachievement has affected the psyche of the club so that they are happy to sit back following a bit of success rather than back up and defend their title.

Meant to post this in here sooner, a classy finish on the weekend by Danielle Orr aka SOSH (Sister of Shaun Higgins).

Just watched most of Geelong vs Carlton. One or both of those teams will be making the finals and neither are better than all 5 teams in our conference.

Cousin debuted tonight playing for the Doggies, I'm not an AFLW guy but I watched it anyway. Dogs got flogged for not going hard enough, need to stop whining as a club and harden up. North wins because North plays hard, and so does Brisbane, winning the contest is footy 101.

Least she played alright, dno if that means I'm a doggies supporter now or not.

So maybe the reason the Dogs got flogged last week wasn't just because North had unfairly assembled a super team.

There is a really good article on the Roar about the trend in women's football, it is a pretty good read. In a nutshell, "But now in 2019, something else is emerging — teams with gameplans that are far more open, relying on the higher skills of players to win individual contests without needing another five teammates as backup, in turn freeing up players to spread forward and wide to facilitate high-speed ball movement from one end to the other. "

And in relation to the Dogs...

"And better yet, the teams that are not playing this style are starting to get flogged."

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/02/...top-of-the-food-chain-and-whos-going-extinct/

Cousin debuted tonight playing for the Doggies, I'm not an AFLW guy but I watched it anyway. Dogs got flogged for not going hard enough, need to stop whining as a club and harden up. North wins because North plays hard, and so does Brisbane, winning the contest is footy 101.

Least she played alright, dno if that means I'm a doggies supporter now or not.

The rolling maul is just not going to work as well as it did last year.

I have heard everyone is a free agent every year, are there more good ones melb uni girls we could take next year that we were restricted from last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have heard everyone is a free agent every year, are there more good ones melb uni girls we could take next year that we were restricted from last year?
Where'd you hear that? Rules haven't been announced yet, but if they are applied in the same way in the next off-season, only the new expansion teams (StK, Rich, WCE, GC) will be able to sign free agents.

However, yes, plenty of top players with Melbourne Uni ties going around for non-North teams right now.

i think it was on the radio when they were talking about North, saying how well they had recruited... Dockers looking like they are going down here.. that mean we can afford to drop a game and still finish on top

There are only 1 year contracts, so we have to make offers to our players. We can't sign anyone we want to, that will be for the new teams.

Under the current collective bargaining agreement we can have 2 tier 1 players on $24,600. 6 tier 2 players on $19,000, 6 tier 3 players on $16,200 and 16 tier 4 players on $13,400.

I think our two Tier 1 players are Kearney and Garner
Our 6 tier 2 players are likely Duffin, Ashmore, Bruton, King, Stanton and probably one of Gibson or Hope.

This is were it will become a challenge for us to keep some of our better players like Riddell, Munn, Bateman, Randall, Gillespie-Jones, etc because we will have some fantastic players that currently will be in or around the 3rd tier, maybe even some top-tier talent that slide into 4th tier.

I think the women who have ties with us, ie through MU or Tasmania would be relatively safe bets, I'd imagine one of the new clubs will offer Munn a high tier offer if she plays like she did against the Dogs when she comes back in.

I'm not to phased though, we will lose players and likely players we are attached to, however, that MU/Tasmania roots gives us a great foundation and we did a great job in the draft last year getting Bateman in the second round and Munn in the 3rd round. We have 10 years of developing women footballers, which other clubs don't have. I back us in to do well in the draft.

In relation to the stealing of players, the argument is absurd.

If we'd been a foundation side (like we should have been), we would still have the strongest side because we've been into women's footy for a long time.

We merely leveraged our history and established relationships to create a situation where high quality players want to play for us.

I'd also pretty much guarantee our player retention is better than practically every other club.

There is a really good article on the Roar about the trend in women's football, it is a pretty good read. In a nutshell, "But now in 2019, something else is emerging — teams with gameplans that are far more open, relying on the higher skills of players to win individual contests without needing another five teammates as backup, in turn freeing up players to spread forward and wide to facilitate high-speed ball movement from one end to the other. "

And in relation to the Dogs...

"And better yet, the teams that are not playing this style are starting to get flogged."

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/02/...top-of-the-food-chain-and-whos-going-extinct/
Worth reading the whole thing, or at least up to the part where he lays the boots into Collingwood.

jesus collingwood are bad
NMFC:
giphy.gif

It’s funny but of course Collingwood was poor even when it had them all - coaching is the bigger problem.

It gets lost in the noise that Collingwood weren't great despite Molloy winning their B&F (out injured this year) last year and trading to GWS Bernardi who was All-Australian and Collingwood's leading goal kicker.

Collingwood last year lost Nicola Stevens, their 2017 B&F and All-Australian to Carlton, she requested the trade. They also traded their runner up, Alicia Eva (MUGAR) and All Australian to GWS for picks, they paid a high price to get Lambert from the Dogs giving them pick 1, 4 and 12 in exchange for Lambert and 3. In the 2017 draft they picked up Molloy #3, Guttridge #9, Ross #13, Dargan #20, Stratton #21. So they ended up with 5 within the top 21 in 2017 plus they got Lambert.

In 2018 they picked up Allen #5, Lynch #11, Cann #13, Butler #18 and Shevlin #19 so added another 5 of the top 19 players.

They have a boat load of talent that they never had made the most out of, they really need to be put under the spotlight in terms of why players want to leave the club and why they can't get them to play better. They seem to be attempting to rebuild after 2 years and aren't really trying to maximise their ability to win games in the present.

It gets lost in the noise that Collingwood weren't great despite Molloy winning their B&F (out injured this year) last year and trading to GWS Bernardi who was All-Australian and Collingwood's leading goal kicker.

Collingwood last year lost Nicola Stevens, their 2017 B&F and All-Australian to Carlton, she requested the trade. They also traded their runner up, Alicia Eva (MUGAR) and All Australian to GWS for picks, they paid a high price to get Lambert from the Dogs giving them pick 1, 4 and 12 in exchange for Lambert and 3. In the 2017 draft they picked up Molloy #3, Guttridge #9, Ross #13, Dargan #20, Stratton #21. So they ended up with 5 within the top 21 in 2017 plus they got Lambert.

In 2018 they picked up Allen #5, Lynch #11, Cann #13, Butler #18 and Shevlin #19 so added another 5 of the top 19 players.

They have a boat load of talent that they never had made the most out of, they really need to be put under the spotlight in terms of why players want to leave the club and why they can't get them to play better. They seem to be attempting to rebuild after 2 years and aren't really trying to maximise their ability to win games in the present.
The second paragraph made my head hurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back