Toast The media....*Nods Head*

Remove this Banner Ad

Off topic I know and sorry for the intrusion but how do you feel about potentially exiting the SANFL?

Would be sad but I’m now in my early 50’s and Easter Holidays trips to SA and Adelaide were full of tram trips up from Glenelg to Rowe & Jarman’s in the Mall to mull over which pair of footy boots I’d buy for the upcoming season and double headers at Footy Park usually featuring Port Magpies - I realise times change but I loved the SANFL back in those days…

I'd echo what Ford has said above. The SANFL isn't what it was.

We didn't want to stay inn 1997, we were forced to do so and ultimately it's been a really bad deal for us over the journey. The rules (and umpiring, Port and the Crows have an insane negative free kick differential) now effectively relegate us to fodder for the 8 SANFL teams to beat up on to try to make them feel better about the previous 150 years.

I won't miss it and I wouldn't care if the entire competition folded. That doesn't lessen our achievements won while part of it.

I've said this before, but I was up in the clubrooms after just about every game in the late 80s and 90s, and whenever we lost Jack would be there, along with the players, understanding what it meant to us and how losing wasn't acceptable. Jack would tell us We're not happy, you're not happy, we don't accept that and it won't happen next week. And we believed him because he meant it. We were respected by the club.

I've said this before, but I was up in the clubrooms after just about every game in the late 80s and 90s, and whenever we lost Jack would be there, along with the players, understanding what it meant to us and how losing wasn't acceptable. Jack would tell us We're not happy, you're not happy, we don't accept that and it won't happen next week. And we believed him because he meant it. We were respected by the club.
Should've just told them to remember 1900 when we won the spoon instead.

Nah, different club m8
I was at the b&f in 1992, which he won. The last thing he said in his acceptance speech was that he loved the club and as soon as we are in the AFL he promised he'll be straight back to play for us. Everyone in the room believed him - including himself. Obviously a lot of water passed under the bridge between that night and our first game in 97 - and I don't think anyone really held it against him that he succumbed to the pressure to stay at collingwood. However I think he remembered what he had said, and he probably sees himself as person with high integrity (a lot of the pressure he was getting to stay at collingwood was accusations of being a mercenary when it looked like he might come back to us - after he'd left brisbane after 1 year), so a coping mechanism he's developed for not sticking to his word is to convince himself that we're not the same club - 'Prot Powaz, est 1997 - never played for them campaigners'

Show them the respect they deserve and stop calling us Port Power when commentating then Nathan
In my experience, especially since he's finished coaching, Bucks has represented our club well. He's been a pretty straight shooter. He's given us kudos when we've deserved it and made some pretty insightful commentary. He was big in JHF's corner last year. He's spoken very highly of the Port Adelaide Football Club. He's also a big Dan Huston fan and that's pretty decent indicator.

They showed an interview with Jack at a Power game he was coaching, we were trailing by 9 goals at half time and the journo asked Did you give them a rocket at half time Jack? And Jack replies No well we were only 9 goals down and I said to work their way back into it ... of course I gave them a *ing rocket Hamish!

Classic :D
And straight away walked off from the cameras with a grin on his face :cool:

What would Ken have said and done in that situation?
"It's too tough and scary to come back from this guys - just remember someone has to lose. We can all sit down and sing Kumbaya afterwards. BTW, my dog is racing later today at Daptoe" :eek:

In my experience, especially since he's finished coaching, Bucks has represented our club well. He's been a pretty straight shooter. He's given us kudos when we've deserved it and made some pretty insightful commentary. He was big in JHF's corner last year. He's spoken very highly of the Port Adelaide Football Club. He's also a big Dan Huston fan and that's pretty decent indicator.
shouldn't be too difficult to respectfully get the name of the club right then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They showed an interview with Jack at a Power game he was coaching, we were trailing by 9 goals at half time and the journo asked Did you give them a rocket at half time Jack? And Jack replies No well we were only 9 goals down and I said to work their way back into it ... of course I gave them a *ing rocket Hamish!

Classic :D
Was brilliant. I'll upload it.

The Steve Price article in this morning's Advertiser is a brilliant read. It sums up the Jeremy Finlayson situation perfectly.

Price calls out the over reaction by the AFL and gay activists like Ian Roberts. Good stuff and five stars...

:star::star::star::star::star:

The Steve Price article in this morning's Advertiser is a brilliant read. It sums up the Jeremy Finlayson situation perfectly.

Price calls out the over reaction by the AFL and gay activists like Ian Roberts. Good stuff and five stars...

:star::star::star::star::star:

Steve Price... The advertiser... Brilliant read..

Peyton Manning What GIF by Gatorade

Steve Price... The advertiser... Brilliant read..

Peyton Manning What GIF by Gatorade
Possibly my least favourite part of this whole thing has been all of society's worst people ending up on the same side of an argument as a Port Adelaide player. Actually, maybe it's unfair to say 'the same side', because even Jeremy himself has shown remorse and contrition for his actions, all while the Steve Prices of the world are like 'tora tora tora you bloody tell those p***fs Jez society has gone bloody WOKE!'

Can we please release another change the date article or something so all these people piss off and go back to hating us?

Last edited:
I'd echo what Ford has said above. The SANFL isn't what it was.

We didn't want to stay inn 1997, we were forced to do so and ultimately it's been a really bad deal for us over the journey. The rules (and umpiring, Port and the Crows have an insane negative free kick differential) now effectively relegate us to fodder for the 8 SANFL teams to beat up on to try to make them feel better about the previous 150 years.

I won't miss it and I wouldn't care if the entire competition folded. That doesn't lessen our achievements won while part of it.
I recently had lunch with a guy I used to work with - he used to be on the board at North Adelaide, and he absolutely despises Port (feelings mutual, just quietly - I can't stand the Roosters!!!). When the topic turned to Port leaving the SANFL, his only comment was, "We won't miss them." We'll see about that - I reckon they'll miss us more than they realise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back