Golf The 2021 Open Championship

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the way Marcel Siem goes about it love the way he pumps his fists and gets the crowd going

Well, he's definitely a favourite of the broadcaster/producer as we seen him play a lot of golf yesterday - unlike Cam Smith as I'm not sure who's dog he's run over given his 4 birdie/2 bogey round of which we saw very little of..?

Actually most Aussies rarely get much coverage during the majors I've noticed over the years for some reason. I recall Matt Jones leading the PGA during round 2 this year for over an hour or so, yet we only got to see him hit 2 maybe 3 shots. Also when other Aussies are sometimes in contention during various stages of the Masters or the US Open in recent times. unless it's something remarkable, you rarely get to see them hitting golf shots...?

Last edited:
Well, he's definitely a favourite of the broadcaster/producer as we seen him play a lot of golf yesterday - unlike Cam Smith as I'm not sure who's dog he's run over given his 4 birdie/2 bogey round of which we saw very little of.

Actually most Aussies rarely get much coverage during the majors I've noticed for some reason. I recall Matt Jones lead the PGA during round 2 this year for over an hour or so, yet we only got to see him hit 2 maybe 3 shots. Also when most Aussies are sometimes in contention during various stages of the Masters or the US Open over recent years. unless it's something remarkable, you rarely get to see them hitting golf shots...?

I would suggest it is like this most weeks. I watch pretty much every tournament on the US PGA each week and most of the European Tour events. I fine unless an Aussie is in a group with a high profile US player you never see them. Regardless of how good they are playing. It is extremely frustrating.

Well, he's definitely a favourite of the broadcaster/producer as we seen him play a lot of golf yesterday - unlike Cam Smith as I'm not sure who's dog he's run over given his 4 birdie/2 bogey round of which we saw very little of.

Actually most Aussies rarely get much coverage during the majors I've noticed over the years for some reason. I recall Matt Jones leading the PGA during round 2 this year for over an hour or so, yet we only got to see him hit 2 maybe 3 shots. Also when most other Aussies are sometimes in contention during various stages of the Masters or the US Open in recent times. unless it's something remarkable, you rarely get to see them hitting golf shots...?

Foxtel did have a dedicated channel following Smith last night at least at one stage.

The Aussie’s lack of coverage might have something to do with none of them being in the top 20 in the world. Smith is our highest ranked Aussie at 28th. The American Harris English is ranked 12th and he doesn’t get much coverage.

Foxtel did have a dedicated channel following Smith last night at least at one stage.

The Aussie’s lack of coverage might have something to do with none of them being in the top 20 in the world. Smith is our highest ranked Aussie at 28th. The American Harris English is ranked 12th and he doesn’t get much coverage.

Fair points, but even when Day had his run a few years back the broadcasters struggled to give him anywhere near the coverage (that most other big-name players enjoyed) he deserved - and you'd think with Ian Baker-Finch and sometimes Wayne Riley in the com box they would be asking producers to broaden their pre-event 'list of favourites' to occasionally include some Aussies hitting golf shots...?
And it not just Aussies BTW, the coverage or lack thereof that Matsuyama got during the Masters this year, specifically given he was the first Japanese golfer to win a major, was borderline embarrassing...

Last edited:
Its the opposite in olympics. All they show are aussies.

Sure, but respectfully - an Australian broadcaster showing Australian athletes to an Australian audience is not what is being discussed here...

Last edited:
I would suggest it is like this most weeks. I watch pretty much every tournament on the US PGA each week and most of the European Tour events. I fine unless an Aussie is in a group with a high profile US player you never see them. Regardless of how good they are playing. It is extremely frustrating.

Yep don’t get much coverage of Aussie plays unfortunately

Yer you might be right mate but how is Harris English 12th in the world

Wish the US had 3-5 events a year that were links. Just so that the grip it and rip it players would have to actually discover something called course management more often.

That being said the US boys have won about 50% of the Opens over the past 20 years, so while some struggle with links play, others obviously find a way...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reverse drinking game.
Aside from his 1st tee shot, anytime the broadcaster shows Cam Smith hitting a golf shot tonight. Tip, leave your beer in the fridge or the ice for your whiskey in the freezer as I doubt you'll be needing them for most of the evening...

Wish the US had 3-5 events a year that were links. Just so that the grip it and rip it players would have to actually discover something called course management more often.

They have quite a few links courses. PGA Championship was played on one.

Bandon dunes, Chambers Bay, Shinnecock, Newport National, Whistling Straits - all regularly host big events.

The Sham Beau the early clubhouse leader! Not sure he'll hang around to see if he makes the play-off though...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back