Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

whew, just wanted to get that out of my system ... mostly, i don't give a sh1t if the media don't rate us, and this was a bit of a topic in our first three weeks (when we on this board generally agreed it was nice to read a lot of positive commentary about us) ... but it's starting to grate again having all these brilliant footy minds either dismiss us or, worse, ignore us
Your thoughts echo mine. Like you, I don't place much stock in how the media rates us (except to the extent it influences the amount of coverage we get in the Vic-centric media). So I was amused by this week's assessment rather than annoyed by it. But amused I was.

A week ago the big criticism of the Swans was their ability to defend, and particularly to defend from turnover. That was valid, particularly based on the Richmond and Essendon games. So this week we come out with a resolve to get the defensive attitudes right and hold the Suns to their lowest score of the season, while also showing that we can do that while still keeping the offensive ball movement working. The Suns were one of the harder teams to score against in the early rounds, but we cut through with ease.

So yes, it was just a week, but the Pies - who were dreadful for the first three weeks, so so for the next two but who then pulled out a good three quarters against Port - are suddenly back on track based on that one game.

The "right answer" in my eyes is that all these ratings and seeds and "PF integrity" are just meaningless until the back third of the season, when we've all had a chance to see how teams fair against a variety of opposition and in various conditions (including player availability). At the moment it's just journalists spouting hot air.

Your thoughts echo mine. Like you, I don't place much stock in how the media rates us (except to the extent it influences the amount of coverage we get in the Vic-centric media). So I was amused by this week's assessment rather than annoyed by it. But amused I was.

A week ago the big criticism of the Swans was their ability to defend, and particularly to defend from turnover. That was valid, particularly based on the Richmond and Essendon games. So this week we come out with a resolve to get the defensive attitudes right and hold the Suns to their lowest score of the season, while also showing that we can do that while still keeping the offensive ball movement working. The Suns were one of the harder teams to score against in the early rounds, but we cut through with ease.

So yes, it was just a week, but the Pies - who were dreadful for the first three weeks, so so for the next two but who then pulled out a good three quarters against Port - are suddenly back on track based on that one game.

The "right answer" in my eyes is that all these ratings and seeds and "PF integrity" are just meaningless until the back third of the season, when we've all had a chance to see how teams fair against a variety of opposition and in various conditions (including player availability). At the moment it's just journalists spouting hot air.

very much so on both those points
while i'm encouraged and excited by what we've done to this point, and very content sitting at 5-1, i know we've still got work to do and a lot of improvement to come ... even if you just take grundy and adams as examples, new but important players getting fitter and getting used to their new teammates and team structure
"journalists" is being generous to several of them, particularly some of the former players ... inane and inaccurate

+1

AFL pundit world is a hot take machine on a seven-day news cycle. Personally I'm happy we're not being talked about much. We're terrible frontrunners, much better as underdogs.

We've all known for a long time that Mark Robinson is a complete bafoon but he outdid himself last night on 360.
He constantly referred to the fact that the swans had a bye last week hence had a 13 day break whereas the suns only had 7. This is completely unfair he said on numerous occasions.
Interesting to note that he had the Collingwood coach sitting next to him who had the same bye that the swans did yet said absolutely nothing about their so called advantage.
Has this dill completely forgotten that we have 4 bye rounds every year where this so called advantage happens in all of those weeks. Funnily enough, more sides coming off their bye (with this huge advantage) have lost the following week over the past few years.
Honestly, this guy is an absolute imbicile.
I was lucky that I was watching it on replay and was able to fast forward through most of his crap.

Just noticed this story about KJ and his missus moving to Swanbourne (nice part of Perth).
Interestingly the article mentions he’s taking up the Head of Strategy and Innovation role at the Weagles… you could’ve argued a year ago that it was the worst gig in town, but now he’s got the best gig going around as he just needs to put a young kid called Harley at the forefront of both parts of his role.
Good luck KJ 👍

Would love the club to make this a weekly thing

This is what we need to be seeing when we wonder why player X gets picked when they seem to do "nothing" in a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The specific point was only taking a few quick steps back and then playing on to the side of the player "standing" the mark.

They showed Chad doing this which looked spectacular only because they used the "freeze everyone else" effect.

I expect lots of teams are doing this and some teams try to counter by staying "outside 5"

I think it was the tigers who did it well against us

24APR24: Swans Daily Media New

Remove this Banner Ad

Back