Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Offence is fine IMO.

Averaging over 103 points per game. The lack of reliance on one or two to score our goals makes us far more dangerous
Yes! We’ve had 9 or more different goal kickers in every game bar the loss against the Tigers… and even there we had 7.
We had 12 against the Hawks last weekend, and 10 against the Giants yesterday.

This makes us a very hard team to defend against! 🔥

Swans vs GWS talk starts 3:30mins into the video

Was mostly about gws and also, why didn't gws tag gulden?

Even the single thing about a swan that they mentioned, was turned into a gws thing.

The way the whole piece was delivered and framed around gws was pretty poor.

But you know what? That's fine by me lol. Prefer the media ignore the swans as the darkest horse on the top of the table as it is less pressure on the "smug" swans.

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from round 8​

MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES.
The best way to advertise your impending free agency is to kick goals. Sydney’s Will Hayward kicked four of them in the wet against the Giants on Saturday, which in this crazy world of player payments probably meant his worth grew. The price tag on Hayward is the vicinity of $800,000. Yep, 800 large for a player who has kicked 174 goals in 145 games. But he is in demand. Colleague Jon Ralph told us last week Adelaide is in the hunt with Port Adelaide, plus a couple of Victorian teams. The Swans can match any offer, but you suspect they won’t be flush with too much spare cash, which is both good news and bad news for Hayward. It’s bad news if he wants to stay, it’s terrific news if he wants the big payday and is happy to leave. He was the highest ranked player on the ground on Saturday which his manager no doubt will use as a bargaining chip.

DISLIKES

ANYONE ELSE BUT TOM.

Giant Callum Brown was suspended for three weeks. It should’ve been longer. He ran at speed and instead of tackling Tom McCartin, he chose to bump. It was the flinch reaction from Brown which the AFL wanted out of the game. But Brown is only part of the story. How long McCartin will miss is anyone’s guess. He’s had concussions before so this new one could put his career at risk. That’s jumping the gun, but no one ever thought Angus Brayshaw or Nathan Murphy would retire, either. The footy world wishes McCartin well. A week ago, St Kilda’s Jack Higgins received a three-week suspension for a tackle dump that many thought was more awkward than menacing. Brown’s act was much more brutal than the Higgins one. It needed to go to the tribunal and be assessed with the same voracity as Jimmy Webster’s pre-season hit on Jy Simpkin was. Webster received six weeks. The three weeks for Brown is terribly inadequate.

Swans & Heeny

Some analysis on First Crack tonight talking about who King called the 3 Roosters. Chad/Errol & Isaac. How they're not necessarily the top of the list at a lot of midfield stats.

But at Score Involvements its something startling. Heeney #1 Errol #3 and Chad #4. Plus they all hit the scoreboard themselves. It's going to be interesting to see how other teams try and clamp down on this, because you can't tag all 3 of them because it only allows the others to get off the chain.

Last edited:
Swans & Heeny

Some analysis on First Crack tonight talking about who King called the 3 Roosters. Chad/Errol & Isaac. How they're not necessarily the top of the list at a lot of midfield stats.

But at Score Involvements its something startling. Heeney #1 Errol #3 and Chad #4. Plus they all hit the scoreboard themselves. It's going to be interesting to see how other teams try and clamp down on this, because you can't tag all 3 of them because it only allows the others to get off the chain.

Our spread of attacking options is what has us so well placed. It's not just the three talls, it's Papley, Hayward, Wicks, and if it's not them it's Errol, Chad or Heeney. Ridiculous.

Our spread of attacking options is what has us so well placed. It's not just the three talls, it's Papley, Hayward, Wicks, and if it's not them it's Errol, Chad or Heeney. Ridiculous.
I swear I can hear Horse in my head telling the Talls to bring it to ground and let our mids & smalls do their work.

Some analysis on First Crack tonight........
Saw the first 30 seconds of First Crack where Leigh Montagna declared "....Hawks were the big winners of the weekend". :confusedv1:

Yep the way they jumped from 17th to 16th with a win over the disintegrating Bulldogs is truly noteworthy.
Meanwhile in Sydney........

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from round 8​

MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES.
The best way to advertise your impending free agency is to kick goals. Sydney’s Will Hayward kicked four of them in the wet against the Giants on Saturday, which in this crazy world of player payments probably meant his worth grew. The price tag on Hayward is the vicinity of $800,000. Yep, 800 large for a player who has kicked 174 goals in 145 games. But he is in demand. Colleague Jon Ralph told us last week Adelaide is in the hunt with Port Adelaide, plus a couple of Victorian teams. The Swans can match any offer, but you suspect they won’t be flush with too much spare cash, which is both good news and bad news for Hayward. It’s bad news if he wants to stay, it’s terrific news if he wants the big payday and is happy to leave. He was the highest ranked player on the ground on Saturday which his manager no doubt will use as a bargaining chip.

DISLIKES

ANYONE ELSE BUT TOM.

Giant Callum Brown was suspended for three weeks. It should’ve been longer. He ran at speed and instead of tackling Tom McCartin, he chose to bump. It was the flinch reaction from Brown which the AFL wanted out of the game. But Brown is only part of the story. How long McCartin will miss is anyone’s guess. He’s had concussions before so this new one could put his career at risk. That’s jumping the gun, but no one ever thought Angus Brayshaw or Nathan Murphy would retire, either. The footy world wishes McCartin well. A week ago, St Kilda’s Jack Higgins received a three-week suspension for a tackle dump that many thought was more awkward than menacing. Brown’s act was much more brutal than the Higgins one. It needed to go to the tribunal and be assessed with the same voracity as Jimmy Webster’s pre-season hit on Jy Simpkin was. Webster received six weeks. The three weeks for Brown is terribly inadequate.

I didn't need to buy the paper !

I swear I can hear Horse in my head telling the Talls to bring it to ground and let our mids & smalls do their work.
Telling them... I reckon he's yelling it at the top of his lungs!!!

It's so good to see the number crunchers confounded... just like the Hawks and Tigers before us, we come up with a new game plan right out of the box!!

Kudos to the coaching staff and players... I'm loving it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

06MAY24: Swans Daily Media New
First up Bucks talks about the Swans with Kane

A+ for the Swans

Really interesting article in the Hun today about how the Swans had their eyes on Newcombe & Sam Durham for the 2019 Draft. And got scooped on both of them.

Sydney’s intelligence was that Richmond, with a selection two picks before them at No.10, was their only other contender for Durham’s services.

Essendon’s Adrian Dodoro came from the clouds at pick 9 to get his man, having watched a lightly framed kid in the Coates League add grit and athleticism in those handful of Richmond VFL clashes.

Dalrymple, now at St Kilda, missed both his targets but was thrilled Durham found a way to the AFL as Sydney ended up taking project ruckman Lachlan McAndrew.

Less than three years on Newcombe is a midfield bull with two runner-up finishes in the Peter Crimmins Medal.

But which of Durham or Newcombe would you take for the next five years after Durham, fresh from his own move into the midfield, just signed a four-year extension believed to be worth $2.5 million?

And consider how stacked Sydney’s midfield would be if Durham had found his way to the Swans.

Last edited:
I’m unsure if you were at the game but the conditions were not as bad as you would think. It pissed down in the second but was pretty dry after that.

Regardless, losing Tom McCartin was covered more easily against GWS than and their forwards than other teams as Rampe, Melican, Blakey, and Fox still match up ok against Brown, Hogan, and Riccardi. GWS losing Tom Green is possibly a bigger loss but doesn’t account for the dominance we had.
Yes the ground was in pretty good condition considering the rain thru the week. The downpour during the game was fairly brief and not that heavy, so didn’t really impact the surface too much I thought.

A lot of the time our plan also seems to be to just get the talls up the ground, out of the 50 and have the smalls run into empty space on the turnover. Whatever it is, it's working.

Yes the ground was in pretty good condition considering the rain thru the week. The downpour during the game was fairly brief and not that heavy, so didn’t really impact the surface too much I thought.
Not that heavy? It was bucketing down more than enough.

This is why we need the talls. They hamstring opposition defences. None of them are superstars but if you're Sam Taylor or Harry Himmelberg or Jack Buckley, you're not gonna just leave them unattended.

GWS' back six looked so preoccupied trying to contain our forward six (and mostly succeeding, to be fair), that they just lost our mids in the forward 50 time and again. Feels like we are OK with using our talls as decoys almost if we have to.

Are you joking? It was torrential! Might have only been for ten minutes or so but it certainly was heavy.

This is why we need the talls. They hamstring opposition defences. None of them are superstars but if you're Sam Taylor or Harry Himmelberg or Jack Buckley, you're not gonna just leave them unattended.

GWS' back six looked so preoccupied trying to contain our forward six (and mostly succeeding, to be fair), that they just lost our mids in the forward 50 time and again. Feels like we are OK with using our talls as decoys almost if we have to.
As long as the goals are being kicked, I don't care who it is.

First up Bucks talks about the Swans with Kane

A+ for the Swans

Really interesting article in the Hun today about how the Swans had their eyes on Newcombe & Sam Durham for the 2019 Draft. And got scooped on both of them.

Sydney’s intelligence was that Richmond, with a selection two picks before them at No.10, was their only other contender for Durham’s services.

Essendon’s Adrian Dodoro came from the clouds at pick 9 to get his man, having watched a lightly framed kid in the Coates League add grit and athleticism in those handful of Richmond VFL clashes.

Dalrymple, now at St Kilda, missed both his targets but was thrilled Durham found a way to the AFL as Sydney ended up taking project ruckman Lachlan McAndrew.

Less than three years on Newcombe is a midfield bull with two runner-up finishes in the Peter Crimmins Medal.

But which of Durham or Newcombe would you take for the next five years after Durham, fresh from his own move into the midfield, just signed a four-year extension believed to be worth $2.5 million?

And consider how stacked Sydney’s midfield would be if Durham had found his way to the Swans.

First link is giving me an error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1BC_0197-Edit_1__51748.1714953148.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back