Stuart Graham - Head of High Performance

Remove this Banner Ad

You can be jacked and quick , trick is to do it without roids. 110m Olympic champ David Oliver

View attachment 1569352

These are AFL players who were the best athletes in their little pissant Melbourne private school not Olympians who are the best athletes in the world.

Stick to the basics.

These are AFL players who were the best athletes in their little pissant Melbourne private school not Olympians who are the best athletes in the world.

Stick to the basics.

500k a year, my fulltime job, nothing else to do in my job but train , ah well , this is what basic gets ya.
b84e1e93677cb91c6dd51810d76e7c46

500k a year, my fulltime job, nothing else to do in my job but train , ah well , this is what basic gets ya.
b84e1e93677cb91c6dd51810d76e7c46

My point is that most AFL players are not elite athletic types, they're drawn from a very small pool of participants and trained to play a silly game. They're not comparable in athletic profile to African American Olympic sprinters.

Stick to the basics.
More than that, sprinters are built for one 100%, 10 second effort. No repeat efforts, no change of direction, no body contact.

Over the course of a game, most of the senior players on our list would run him into the ground. He wouldn’t make it to quarter time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More than that, sprinters are built for one 100%, 10 second effort. No repeat efforts, no change of direction, no body contact.

Over the course of a game, most of the senior players on our list would run him into the ground. He wouldn’t make it to quarter time.
You dont have to a string bean to run all day , AFL is generally balance between power and endurance, horses for courses, some needing greater power others needing more aerobic run, positional needs dictate the balance.

The sprinter is an extreme analogy and was in response to the simple statement that Dursma couldn't run because he bulked up. There were more factors at play then that I suggest. Maybe more to do with the type of weight he carried or injury earlier in the season. Agree thou that he had no power or run , not sure why.

Interestingly Geelong seem to produce physically bigger players with run, out of their program. :think:

Do we really think Bergs will develop an inside game. I must have missed that memo. It would be massive if he could but I haven’t seen signs. I hold out more hope of J.Burgoyne, Jones, Sinn and even Fantasia- who looked great in the guts in the 5 minutes he played SANFL last year- being able to roll through the guts.

This could be our most talented squad ever if there is further development in Bergman, Marshall, Georgiades, Hayes, Duursma, Butters, Sinn, JHF, Rozee, Farrell, Burgoyne, Jones in particular.
You heard it here first.

Burgoyne too light
Jones not clean enough.
Sinn will be a weapon on the wing
Fantasia lol

Last edited:
The distance run by AFL players would be closer to 100m than the 42km of a marathon.

Tom Scully's record distance in a game is 18.9km.
Well done, you managed to completely miss the point. Do you think marathon runners only ever run full marathons?

Well done, you managed to completely miss the point. Do you think marathon runners only ever run full marathons?
marathon runners cop how many knocks each week? Lay how many tackles? Who has been the leanest Brownlow Medalist?

There was a game this year or last where Brody Mihochek covered 22km at an average speed of 20km/hr, which is not far off marathon pace. But I think there was a glitch in his GPS tracker so I'm not sure that counts.

Same as Eric McKenzie and his 2nd fastest recorded speed for an AFL player, lol.

The same number as 100m sprint champions. :rolleyes:

I never said he had to built like a 6’6 African American Roided up sprinter.

But comparing an AFL Athlete to a Marathon runner, weight lifters, Swimmers, Chess players is foolish.

1670834520457.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back