Stuart Graham - Head of High Performance

Remove this Banner Ad

And good work cutting out the actual question, to fit your narrative. You work at the Crowvertiser?
lol, if you can't tell the difference between a burst all over in 10 seconds athlete and an endurance athlete I can't help you.

Who was the last AFL player to poll three Brownlow votes in a game for getting the first centre clearance and then spending the rest of the game on the bench?

lol, if you can't tell the difference between a burst all over in 10 seconds athlete and an endurance athlete I can't help you.

Who was the last AFL player to poll three Brownlow votes in a game for getting the first centre clearance and then spending the rest of the game on the bench?
Shane Woewodin, Adam Cooney?

He would prefere to be at Port from what i've heard, Crows is just a job.

I know of another fitness guy at the Crows too who's made mention he'd rather be back at Port.

I would bring him back, but Koch's ego won't allow it.

Yeah I think that would be a real thing - didn't Burgess burn a few people?

Yeah but that's what he does. gets itchy feet.

Still a couple of years just to get us on track. He has developed his strategies after his early days with us.

I heard he wanted to come back to us last time but Koch wouldn't have it so he went to the crows.

Yeah but that's what he does. gets itchy feet.

Still a couple of years just to get us on track. He has developed his strategies after his early days with us.

I heard he wanted to come back to us last time but Koch wouldn't have it so he went to the crows.

He'd come back to us then Ange would call....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard he wanted to come back to us last time but Koch wouldn't have it so he went to the crcrows.
When he got the arse from Arsenal at end of 2018-19 EPL season , he approached Port if they were interested in re- employing him again. Macca had the job, players were happy with him, he had been here almost 5 years before Burgo pissed off, and the club gave Burgo the big thanks but no thanks. I dont know if that was Koch's ego but KT delivered the message.

I talked to KT about it at the launch of Andrew Hunter's book - Port Adelaide to Shanghai at the Pear Cafe at Christmas time 2020 a few months after KT had left.

Burgo's wife said she wanted to live in Adelaide when they returned to Oz after Arsenal. She liked Adelaide and had a few very good friends here established over the 2 stints Burgo worked for us. I dont know if that was the main reason why they broke up, but her living in Adelaide with the kids is the main reason why he left Melbourne at end of 2021 after 2 successful years there.

Dr Peter Brukner worked with the Socceroos in the lead up 2010 WC and met Burgo there and when Liverpool appointed Brukner as their club doctor, he brought Burgo, physio Phil Coles and one other person from that Soceeroos set up straight after the 2010 WC. Brukner was replaced by Liverpool as club doctor when the new coach was appointed, after 2 years, but they were happy to keep Burgo. It was Burgo's wife in 2012 who rang Matt Primus, then KT and told them to keep talking to Burgo as he (and she) wanted to return. It was KT who got Burgo back and told me it was his first major appointment in the footy department as CEO, before he stitched up Alan Richardson and Ken.

Brukner had been the long time Melbourne FC doctor from mid 1980s until he took the Socceroos job, and eventhough he wasnt the MFC's official doctor in 2019, he was the one who highly recommended Burgo to Gary Pert and co at Melbourne.

I have no idea how serious he approached Port at end of 2021 season, but he was desperate to move back to Adelaide to be near his kids. Adelaide's fitness levels were poor in 2020 and 2021, so it was a no-brainer they would go after him when it was known he wanted to move back here.

Would Koch's ego get in the way to giving him a 3rd tenure at Port? Maybe, but you would think he would love to get one over the crows and pinch a key staff member.

I dont think the key people at the club trust Burgo, especially given the soft cap is still over $2m less than 2019, Burgo was paid as much as Hinkley when he was here last time, and Burgo is likely to get another big offer from a EPL / Euro soccer team.

When he got the arse from Arsenal at end of 2018-19 EPL season , he approached Port if they were interested in re- employing him again. Macca had the job, players were happy with him, he had been here almost 5 years before Burgo pissed off, and the club gave Burgo the big thanks but no thanks. I dont know if that was Koch's ego but KT delivered the message.

I talked to KT about it at the launch of Andrew Hunter's book - Port Adelaide to Shanghai at the Pear Cafe at Christmas time 2020 a few months after KT had left.

Burgo's wife said she wanted to live in Adelaide when they returned to Oz after Arsenal. She liked Adelaide and had a few very good friends here established over the 2 stints Burgo worked for us. I dont know if that was the main reason why they broke up, but her living in Adelaide with the kids is the main reason why he left Melbourne at end of 2021 after 2 successful years there.

Dr Peter Brukner worked with the Socceroos in the lead up 2010 WC and met Burgo there and when Liverpool appointed Brukner as their club doctor, he brought Burgo, physio Phil Coles and one other person from that Soceeroos set up straight after the 2010 WC. Brukner was replaced by Liverpool as club doctor when the new coach was appointed, after 2 years, but they were happy to keep Burgo. It was Burgo's wife in 2012 who rang Matt Primus, then KT and told them to keep talking to Burgo as he (and she) wanted to return. It was KT who got Burgo back and told me it was his first major appointment in the footy department as CEO, before he stitched up Alan Richardson and Ken.

Brukner had been the long time Melbourne FC doctor from mid 1980s until he took the Socceroos job, and eventhough he wasnt the MFC's official doctor in 2019, he was the one who highly recommended Burgo to Gary Pert and co at Melbourne.

I have no idea how serious he approached Port at end of 2021 season, but he was desperate to move back to Adelaide to be near his kids. Adelaide's fitness levels were poor in 2020 and 2021, so it was a no-brainer they would go after him when it was known he wanted to move back here.

Would Koch's ego get in the way to giving him a 3rd tenure at Port? Maybe, but you would think he would love to get one over the crows and pinch a key staff member.

I dont think the key people at the club trust Burgo, especially given the soft cap is still over $2m less than 2019, Burgo was paid as much as Hinkley when he was here last time, and Burgo is likely to get another big offer from a EPL / Euro soccer team.

I see him a fair bit around Goodwood / Unley Park, lives close by I’d say.

Close to Tony McGuinness.

Severe levels of doubt about that last bit. I have no question about his ego though. That can be seen from space.

Just a couple of hours after I made that post, I watched Adelaide play Sturt and despite playing the first half like they had come from Mad Monday celebrations and being 5 goals down, Adelaide ran over the top of Sturt in the second half.

Now I don't know the age or experience profile of Adelaide's team compared to ours, but we were run over twice by Centrals who are at best middle of the road.

We always look overpowered by sanfl sides and our wins seem to come more from individual talent than anything.

Surely the fitness staff see the same things I do?

Just a couple of hours after I made that post, I watched Adelaide play Sturt and despite playing the first half like they had come from Mad Monday celebrations and being 5 goals down, Adelaide ran over the top of Sturt in the second half.

Now I don't know the age or experience profile of Adelaide's team compared to ours, but we were run over twice by Centrals who are at best middle of the road.

We always look overpowered by sanfl sides and our wins seem to come more from individual talent than anything.

Richo, Koch and Hinkley are totally obtuse to anything counter to what they deem a successful football programme. "It talks for itself." Matthew Richardson Sept 1, 2023.

Who would've thought "success" is such a subjective term :think:

Last edited:

I feel like for the Magpies it isn't just about the age of the players but the type of players.

We have injected some much needed height into the bottom half of our list and those players take time.

The Crows definitely have more mature players in their SANFL team like Hately and Crouch (not yesterday).

We also have young/inexperienced tall timber like Scully, Visintini, Marshall, Marshall, Pasini, Teakle.

Compare that to Magden, Keane, Strachan. It's a big difference.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We had 8 top up players in our EF side yesterday. I don't know if Burgo or anyone else can really drive them harder given they have limited time training with the club being part timers and get paid bugger all.

We also had 4 teenagers, K Marshall, McCullum, Scully and Barkla who have done 1 preseason, and 2 x 20 year olds in Burgoyne and Jackson who have done 2. I'd say Jackson of those 6, was the only one that had a 4 quarter impact.

I have no real idea about the crows list, except I noticed reading the budget, they have a lot of top up older players, Wright is the captain at 33 is like Sutcliffe, but I saw a 30 year old and 2 or 3 26 year old top up players, when I had a quick look at half time.

Our afl side averages around 270km’s per game compared to the crows who run close to 290km per game.

I’m not surprised the crows sanfl side ran over Sturt while ours fell away.

I’d be doing everything I could to get him back.

Hard to get a real read on our fitness.

Start of the year it looked terrible but we seem to be finishing games out ok now. What has fallen away is the fitness of Jonas, McKenzie, Lycett, Clurey, Wines and Dixon - so all the senior brigade. Could Burgo have reduced that?

We still get pushed around and out marked - could Burgo have helped with that?

Raz, Williams, Lord, Duursma, Pasini have all struggled for fitness for varying reasons - does Burgo help that?

Legitimate questions, really don’t know but does seem like he has learned from his past stints with us and he was excellent at Melbourne and has been good at the crows.

I wonder if he could be enticed with promise of ‘high performance’ academy type set up with students, research, get teams to visit him kind of thing. Get him to run mens, womens, SANFL, juniors kind of set up.

Stu did his apprenticeship under Burgo the last time he was here and has developed himself and took over after Macca.

I see no reason to pay a bloke 3-4 times as much because of his name over a dude who can do at least 90% of his job.

Burgos clout comes from his innovations in GPS tracking. Very old hat now days, I'd rather spend some of that extra cash on Schulzy as a kicking coach thanks.

And Burgo is a good manager and sees the deficiencies in a program, makes changes, hires better people and then he's not necessary after the culture change. He seems to have priced himself into this type of short term role

It's hard to imagine why Burgess would be light years in front of anyone else. If you wanted to spend big money, I'm sure there are plenty of candidates to choose from.

The Crows AFL side ran out of legs as frequently as they ran over teams in last quarters this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back