Stuart Graham - Head of High Performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh crosses the train line… fair call. I know where McGuiness lives and have seen Burgess close to there and also Unley Park. They’d love to be at Port now with the trio.

Don't tell Leo! 😬

Head of High Performance? Is that to do with fitness? We got all the fancy titles and other clubs are winning flags ... joke.

Something like that, the corporate world likes to tag people with these titles. Old timers like me still remember when Teddy McMahon looked after the players' aches and pains while Foster looked after their fitness. The world has moved on since then and a CHOP like me is still running like * to catch up to all the SNAGs.

Looking back over the posts I think some of us might not be to upset if Stuart left Alberton. :rolleyes:

Head of Puny Performance. Kane is gunning for you, Chad must have heard something.

If we are going after Corneses and their physical prowess, I thought Lloyd got it right with his Closing Cook segment last night.

1695091992795.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, basically any excuse except that we are badly coached and motivated. Yeah, right.

Bottom line is, as Warren also said, we're stuck with the coach. I think there is a genuine issue with our physical conditioning, it is true we looked like men against boys in both of our finals.

We can't just throw our skirts over our heads and cry because Hinkley is still here, blame everything on him and do nothing, but we can change other areas that need improvement.

Yesterday, saw the tweet he was referring to, it's funny because it's true. Kane was not pleased :D
Didn't see the tweet. I assume Kane responded.

We are the most team for conceding points late in a quarter. We don’t seem fit enough.

We looked visibly gassed half way through a quarter.

Last night we look sore and tired, like we needed the bye, after just seven rounds!

Narkle has developed a load based injury despite being older and having not had such issues before.

Rozee hasn’t had any prior hamstring issues and is only 24.

Our young guys Sinn, Jackson, Marshall and McCallum can barely get on the park.

Are we getting the best fitness program?

We are the most team for conceding points late in a quarter. We don’t seem fit enough.

Last night we look sore and tired, like we needed the bye, after just seven rounds!

Narkle has developed a load based injury despite being older and having not had such issues before.

I'd be looking at the whole program. Conditioning, dietician, development.

We have mental pygmys on a production line. Something seriously wrong with what we are teaching them.

We waste so much energy trying to lock the ball in our forward line, not really caring how we get it in there, are piss poor at ground level, and poor at conversion, that we are hitting high fatigue levels and start to drop our heads late in the quarter, and so the oppo can slice thru our high press and have plenty of space in their forward line and score easy goals from right in front and usually from the goal square.

I told Ford at Alberton at one of the trials this year, I have to keep some stats on goal square conversion because our oppo seems to kick a lot more goals than us from the goal square over a season. I have been too lazy to keep these stats, but my eyes tell me nothing has really changed.

Have a look at the 1st quarter against the Saints. Those piss poor missed shots we had, meant we wasted energy and we lost the enthusiastic energy generated that comes from kicking goals.

Kick a goal from a set shot and you get about a minutes rest by the time the ball is bounced after the goal is signalled. Kick a goal and everyone is buzzing and up and about. During the 30 seconds our player is taking to kick a set shot the oppo can set up to get the ball out of our forward 50 from a miss by us and their kick in.

Kick a 5th or 6th point for the quarter, or more, late into the quarter, and say a 3rd or 4th consecutive one, from a straight forward shot, you don't get that extra rest, you have to run to a defensive position, the goal shooter drops his head, others drop their head, bloody hell we missed an easy shot again goes thru most players head, and if the oppo are on the ball, they know they can move the ball thru our high press as the oxygen has just been sucked out of us.

My mate who I played footy with, is Port supporter, was over from Sydney so we caught up for a meal and talked a lot of footy before, during and after the match.

After the game we came to the conclusion we are a frustrating team to watch because we work too bloody hard to kick goals and don't kick enough, given how much of the ball we get into our forward line. We waste energy early in the quarter, early in games, don't put the score on the board, and when you have less petrol in the tank, we leave ourselves exposed to be scored against late in quarters and games.

When we were 29 pts up against Collingwood in the 2nd quarter we proceeded to kick 3 shots on goal and all went out on the full, whilst Collingwood kicked a goal in that time frame. If those had been goals, and yes everything else had to stay equal, we would have been 41 pts up and a completely different equation as we had the momentum and it was past the half way point of the quarter.

You can only train players so much to have a peak energy / fitness level. You can't push them past that point. If we are close to that point and then came game day we waste so much of that energy we have, because of an inefficient and average effectiveness game plan, that wont change, then we can't really improve our fitness levels that much.

Last edited:

It’s Hinkley’s game plan

We have mental pygmys on a production line. Something seriously wrong with what we are teaching them.

Management are a bunch of fools who think that we can contend without the necessary input from within all of the areas that you have outlined above. Constantly appointing from within, assuming to save money, will not cut it. We need to start picking the eyes out of the best systems in the AFL ala Geelong, Sydney etc. You will not get a yes answer to every overture, however if you don’t ask you will never know. For a start, our player development particularly of talks is particularly questionable. Premierships,are generally not won through sheer luck moreover by getting most things within the program right. Unfortunately we are run by a bunch of amateurs who do not work to the highest standards including our coaching staff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back