Official Match Thread Season 37 - Round 5 - Gumbies FFC v Ophidian Old Boys at The House of Gumby

Remove this Banner Ad

I like my temperatures on the mild to cold side.🥶

Iceland is the country with the climate most appropriate for me i think.🤣

The Faroe Islands would do fine as well it's nice and damp around there i think.☔

Iceland is my bucket list destination & has been for as long as I can remember

Late last year I was getting into planning options for going to Iceland this year, plus other countries in the region including Greenland and just anywhere cold - and though it would also give me a good excuse to wear this

1709114958012.jpeg

It got to NYD and instead of progressing with those plans, I booked an impromptu week in Queenstown NZ, I'm heading to Adelaide next month & then Brisbane in April. And now decided I might go to Singapore in July - so all is pretty much the opposite of Iceland

Guess I've still got time to do something in the second half of the year 😂

Anyone watching the Matildas? Kicking some serious Uzbekistan arse 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

It's ******* loud in the stadium - and this is with the roof open, if the roof was closed it would be totally nuts & even more deafening

And not just when kicking goals, but was for the players & coach introductions on the big screen & even coming to take a corner kick

I've muted the decibel warning on my watch as it kept going off before the match even started

This is fun

We have a better football team 😎

Geelong Cats Flirt GIF by NAB
Not AFLW. Brisbane dominate that (and Crows).

Not if you're Uzbek!

The crowd has been really respectful towards the Uzbek team - they got a loud cheer when heading back to the rooms after the warm-up, and then when those starting on the bench emerged from the rooms

This is a massive crowd they're playing in front of, and no doubt that played a role early in the match, but it's good to see positive acknowledgement for our opposition... Other then that blatant foul which surely was with a yellow card

Not AFLW. Brisbane dominate that (and Crows).

I'm pretty sure I mentioned Gold Coast, not Brissy

Besides, with better quality officiating in last year's prelim...

I don’t mind Sydney. Lived down at Coogee for 6 years and managed the Coogee Bay for a bit. Ya need to sell both kidneys to own down there though 😕
You need to sell a kidney to buy a schooner at the Coogee Bay, let alone a property there.

I know that being a security guard at sporting events tends to be one of the most boring jobs as you're meant to watch the spectators & not the action, but I'm pretty sure this guy has spent more time watching the big screen behind the goals & what's happening on the pitch, rather than what's happening in the crowd

IMG_4688.jpeg

You need to sell a kidney to buy a schooner at the Coogee Bay, let alone a property there.
You can only sell one of your own kidneys so if you want to buy a house in Australia you really need to be selling other people's kidneys. Unless you're on the death row prisoners in China gravy train you'll never reach middle class here

I know that being a security guard at sporting events tends to be one of the most boring jobs as you're meant to watch the spectators & not the action, but I'm pretty sure this guy has spent more time watching the big screen behind the goals & what's happening on the pitch, rather than what's happening in the crowd

View attachment 1915643
I am in the wrong business

I am in the wrong business

There was a couple of times there was a stoppage due to a player going down - he got up from his seat to go stand by the medical team so he could get a better view of the pitch 😂

Even now he's standing beside the Uzbek bench watching the team in their huddle - if you want to be a pitch invader, pick a game he's working at and enter from his section of the crowd

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iceland is my bucket list destination & has been for as long as I can remember

Late last year I was getting into planning options for going to Iceland this year, plus other countries in the region including Greenland and just anywhere cold - and though it would also give me a good excuse to wear this

View attachment 1915603

It got to NYD and instead of progressing with those plans, I booked an impromptu week in Queenstown NZ, I'm heading to Adelaide next month & then Brisbane in April. And now decided I might go to Singapore in July - so all is pretty much the opposite of Iceland

Guess I've still got time to do something in the second half of the year 😂
I just spent 4 days on the Gold Coast and It was lovely... 🌞
No cold or Iceland-ish (sounding cold) places for me thanks...

How do you manage to have so much time off cats_09 ?

Seems like a lot of fuss for a spoon season but good on youse.
We OOB's celebrate everything big... be it CUP or SPOON winnings
Cup and wooden spooon OOB colours.png

You could get an invite to Mrs T's Tavern (if you play your cards right) when we achieve our #cup2spoon2cup rollout

I just spent 4 days on the Gold Coast and It was lovely... 🌞
No cold or Iceland-ish (sounding cold) places for me thanks...

How do you manage to have so much time off cats_09 ?

I'm currently working as a casual in a retail environment - so technically they can't stop me taking time off, but I know things can get messy if they want. I get along great with my manager though & give her a heads up if I'm planning time off. She's always said that she won't stop us taking time off, and if it ends up a situation of being short staffed it's on her & not us

It also helps that she organises regular 1-on-1 catch ups with each of us in the team, and I'm pretty honest in those things - I've let her know that after putting other things first over recent years, I want to start taking time for myself this year, while also looking at the next step in my working life...

I previously spent the best part of 10yrs working in fundraising & marketing, and walked when that started taking a toll on my health; plus I could see that I was essentially being set up to fail with where the role was going

After leaving that I went to Tafe as a mature aged student, studied tourism & was applying for jobs in that field (dream area for me) when this small thing called C-19 hit...

I've been in my current job for over 2-years now with the only real time off being for a couple of family weddings & a death - so this year is about being a bit selfish; whether it's enjoying a holiday or stepping into a new job

For NZ, that was totally impromptu; I had worked a lot over the Xmas & NY period and coincidentally wasn't rostered on for 6 days with a balance of a weekend off & then the next one on. So a total fluke that I took advantage of - the upcoming breaks are a bit more planned though

I'm currently working as a casual in a retail environment - so technically they can't stop me taking time off, but I know things can get messy if they want. I get along great with my manager though & give her a heads up if I'm planning time off. She's always said that she won't stop us taking time off, and if it ends up a situation of being short staffed it's on her & not us

It also helps that she organises regular 1-on-1 catch ups with each of us in the team, and I'm pretty honest in those things - I've let her know that after putting other things first over recent years, I want to start taking time for myself this year, while also looking at the next step in my working life...

I previously spent the best part of 10yrs working in fundraising & marketing, and walked when that started taking a toll on my health; plus I could see that I was essentially being set up to fail with where the role was going

After leaving that I went to Tafe as a mature aged student, studied tourism & was applying for jobs in that field (dream area for me) when this small thing called C-19 hit...

I've been in my current job for over 2-years now with the only real time off being for a couple of family weddings & a death - so this year is about being a bit selfish; whether it's enjoying a holiday or stepping into a new job

For NZ, that was totally impromptu; I had worked a lot over the Xmas & NY period and coincidentally wasn't rostered on for 6 days with a balance of a weekend off & then the next one on. So a total fluke that I took advantage of - the upcoming breaks are a bit more planned though
That sounds really awesome Cats, being able to work and take some time off too (including for those impromptu opportunities).
Its no doubt you have created that by good honest communication with your mgr - NOICE!

...and I love hearing of people being a bit selfish for the right reasons. :purpleheart: :greenheart: :purpleheart:
Good on you.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back