Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the NEW old Yarra Valley Mountain Districts Football League that i will simply call the Yarra Ranges District Football and Netball League (YRDFNL).

yvmdfnl.jpg

And the NEW MELBA League.

715px-Map_of_the_Goulburn_River.svg.png

I have tried to limit taking to many clubs from one league so other leagues so they don't suffer. ie. like taking Wallan from Riddell as it would reduce them to much even though travel would be better for them in this league.
Most of the Clubs are the old Central Goulburn or Benalla Leagues clubs and it makes sense to put them back into their own league.

Seymour, Mansfield, Benalla and Euroa are all probably to good for these other sides.

Congratulations to the following Premiers for 2021.

Beaconsfield Div 1 best team in it all year.

Monbulk been building a great list with the influx of local youth.

Kinglake well drilled built up steady over a couple of years. No shortcuts.

We’re cooked time to let clubs prepare for next season. For those that over spent and are left in debt have a think about your spending.

Congratulations to the following Premiers for 2021.

Beaconsfield Div 1 best team in it all year.

Monbulk been building a great list with the influx of local youth.

Kinglake well drilled built up steady over a couple of years. No shortcuts.

We’re cooked time to let clubs prepare for next season. For those that over spent and are left in debt have a think about your spending.
Fairly sure that the League will announce that soon as well. They have conceded the H&A season but are still holding out until the last moment to get a GF in by Oct 9 but it seems extremely unlikely and less probable by the day.

Assuming this is announced then all teams on top of their respective ladders will be named Premiers. This rule was last used around 1920 in the MDFA and hadn't been seen in the YVFA since before WW1, after which finals series were introduced.

If this occurs then Beaconsfield end a 7 year drought since 2014, Monbulk 15 years since 2006 and Kinglake last won 27 years ago in 1994.

In Netball Warby collect their first A Grade flag, ROC clean up all grades in Div 1 and Olinda add another A Grade to their collection.

It'll be a big off season seeing what the 4 SE clubs do and whether they get their wish. If they do leave what the OE structure will be for the remaining 14 clubs in Premier and Div 1.

Hopefully there will be enough vaccines to get to everyone that wants one by Christmas and these restrictions can end. So far, from government statistics as at Aug 20, there have been 971 deaths from 41,522 Covid cases in Australia...ie about 1 in 42 die from it, compared to 7 deaths from 16,504,574 vaccinations...ie about 1 in 2,000,000 chance. When you are 39,000 times more likely to die from Covid than from the vaccine I'm not sure I understand anti-vaxxers but we are a democracy and everyone can choose for themselves. Once everyone has chosen just open everything up and live with the results. In 2017 there were 1,181 deaths from the flu in Australia and in 2019 there were 902...that's life, it happens - nobody talked about it, nobody cared and we didn't waste our lives in lockdown.

If these lockdowns continue then I have too much time to post on forums because there is not much else to do.

Fairly sure that the League will announce that soon as well. They have conceded the H&A season but are still holding out until the last moment to get a GF in by Oct 9 but it seems extremely unlikely and less probable by the day.

Assuming this is announced then all teams on top of their respective ladders will be named Premiers. This rule was last used around 1920 in the MDFA and hadn't been seen in the YVFA since before WW1, after which finals series were introduced.

If this occurs then Beaconsfield end a 7 year drought since 2014, Monbulk 15 years since 2006 and Kinglake last won 27 years ago in 1994.

In Netball Warby collect their first A Grade flag, ROC clean up all grades in Div 1 and Olinda add another A Grade to their collection.

It'll be a big off season seeing what the 4 SE clubs do and whether they get their wish. If they do leave what the OE structure will be for the remaining 14 clubs in Premier and Div 1.

Hopefully there will be enough vaccines to get to everyone that wants one by Christmas and these restrictions can end. So far, from government statistics as at Aug 20, there have been 971 deaths from 41,522 Covid cases in Australia...ie about 1 in 42 die from it, compared to 7 deaths from 16,504,574 vaccinations...ie about 1 in 2,000,000 chance. When you are 39,000 times more likely to die from Covid than from the vaccine I'm not sure I understand anti-vaxxers but we are a democracy and everyone can choose for themselves. Once everyone has chosen just open everything up and live with the results. In 2017 there were 1,181 deaths from the flu in Australia and in 2019 there were 902...that's life, it happens - nobody talked about it, nobody cared and we didn't waste our lives in lockdown.

If these lockdowns continue then I have too much time to post on forums because there is not much else to do.

It’s going to be interesting for the clubs carrying debts into 2022. A lot over spending chasing flags will see a couple of clubs chasing arse for years.

This is my take on the Peninsula side of the YVMDFL.

View attachment 1211061

I have one for the YVMDFL and a new AFL Melba or AFL Maroondah Valley league which i'll post soon.

Added some extra info.

Nice work with these.

For mine

- Every club south of Frankston goes into the MPNFL

- Every club north of Frankston goes into the SFNL. And that extends eastward out to Beaconsfield.

- So Frankston is the border. The clubs in Frankston can decide whether they want to go in MPNFL or SFNL.

- Officer and Pakenham can decide if they want to play SFNL, OEFL or WGFL

Nice work with these.

For mine

- Every club north of Frankston goes into the SFNL. And that extends eastward out to Beaconsfield.

- So Frankston is the border. The clubs in Frankston can decide whether they want to go in MPNFL or SFNL.

I was tossing up whether to keep the roos and lions in the new YRDFNL or not, basically if they couldn't get the EFNL clubs in then try to keep them.

I can't see why they couldn't have a competition that's the whole South of the Yarra all the way to Sorrento and have a Super League above it, as in the MPNFL and SFNL merge to have one league but they have a Super League (whole league) Permier League North, Premier League South and so on.
The Southern Super League could rival the EFNL and maybe even the VFL?

I have a map of that i'll upload later.

Nice work with these.

For mine

No chance of Officer and Pakenham joining WGFL. The clubs there don't want large suburban clubs and have rejected them previously.

I was tossing up whether to keep the roos and lions in the new YRDFNL or not, basically if they couldn't get the EFNL clubs in then try to keep them.

I can't see why they couldn't have a competition that's the whole South of the Yarra all the way to Sorrento and have a Super League above it, as in the MPNFL and SFNL merge to have one league but they have a Super League (whole league) Permier League North, Premier League South and so on.
The Southern Super League could rival the EFNL and maybe even the VFL?

I have a map of that i'll upload later.

There just isn’t any desire on the Peninsula to play north of Frankston from what I’ve been told by those in the MPNFL. Those clubs don’t even like the current situation of divisions, they just want to play among themselves (there may be an exception or two).

Even without them however a major Southern league would be strong. All the current SFNL clubs, YCW. Bonbeach. Edi Asp. Pines. Chelsea, Devon Meadows, Seaford, Langwarrin, Karingal. Cranbourne, Berwick Springs, Doveton, Narre, Beaconsfield.

Possibly Pakenham, Officer and Bombers… up to them.

It’d be five divisions and very competitive at the top end. Really Berwick and Noble Park should be in it too but they’ve flown the coop.

This is the NEW old Yarra Valley Mountain Districts Football League that i will simply call the Yarra Ranges District Football and Netball League (YRDFNL).

View attachment 1211067

And the NEW MELBA League.

View attachment 1211068

I have tried to limit taking to many clubs from one league so other leagues so they don't suffer. ie. like taking Wallan from Riddell as it would reduce them to much even though travel would be better for them in this league.
Most of the Clubs are the old Central Goulburn or Benalla Leagues clubs and it makes sense to put them back into their own league.

Seymour, Mansfield, Benalla and Euroa are all probably to good for these other sides.

The melba league is interesting. Anyone here got insight on Thornton’s chances of firing up again?
The swanpool/tatong story from 2014 is pretty sad and should serve as a warning to smaller clubs about how commissions and leagues can act. I’m not from the area so don’t know the exact details but sounds like a total mess. I believe the Samaria suns masters team formed out of those clubs?

Trying to think left field here and including Marysville in this- I wonder if these smaller towns might be better suited to a less serious competition, somewhere between veterans and an ammos clubbies comp. one football team with participants aged 16 plus. Encourage older blokes to play as long as possible. Maybe only 12 games a season.
1-2 netball teams.
The Omeo district league is a lot more isolated but those clubs seem to be great little hubs for the area

The melba league is interesting. Anyone here got insight on Thornton’s chances of firing up again?
The swanpool/tatong story from 2014 is pretty sad and should serve as a warning to smaller clubs about how commissions and leagues can act. I’m not from the area so don’t know the exact details but sounds like a total mess. I believe the Samaria suns masters team formed out of those clubs?

Trying to think left field here and including Marysville in this- I wonder if these smaller towns might be better suited to a less serious competition, somewhere between veterans and an ammos clubbies comp. one football team with participants aged 16 plus. Encourage older blokes to play as long as possible. Maybe only 12 games a season.
1-2 netball teams.
The Omeo district league is a lot more isolated but those clubs seem to be great little hubs for the area

I did think about the one team idea but clubs like Kilmore, Yea etc. would be to strong.
Could even have Div 1 with 2 teams and Div 2 with one team.
Div 1
Yea, Kilmore, Broadford, Avenel, Longwood, Alexandra, Bonnie Doon + 1 other?
Div 2
Marysville, Thornton Eildon, Puckapunyal?, Tatong?, Swanpool?, Wandong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roadmap out options run up to a lockdown finishing around Sept 6 so no call will be made till then I wouldn't think. Most people will give it every chance.

League sat down with the clubs to work the roadmap out so if they had issues with the dates I'm sure they would have brought it up. Don't underestimate the volume of people trying to find a way to make it happen vs those trying to find a way not to make it happen!

I did think about the one team idea but clubs like Kilmore, Yea etc. would be to strong.
Could even have Div 1 with 2 teams and Div 2 with one team.
Div 1
Yea, Kilmore, Broadford, Avenel, Longwood, Alexandra, Bonnie Doon + 1 other?
Div 2
Marysville, Thornton Eildon, Puckapunyal?, Tatong?, Swanpool?, Wandong?

Can't see Kilmore leaving NFNL, there juniors play in that comp as well.

With RDFL who knows how they will be structured, could you add Wallan, Lancefield, Romsey

Or Div 1 Yea, Broadford, Avenel, Longwood, Alexandra, Kinglake, Bonnie Doon, Wallan, Lancefield, Romsey (10 team competition. Yarra Glen, Warby and Powelly move back into AFL Outer east division 1 competition. Football and netball would still be run on a Saturday.

Or Currently Div 2 is 8 teams, maybe add 2 of Avenel, Longwood or Bonnie Doon and make it a 10 team competition. Distance is becoming great though to travel

Currently Broadford to Powelltown is 124 km

Avenel to Powelly is 159km
Bonnie Doon to Powelly is 169km
Longford to Powelly is 179km

Can't see Kilmore leaving NFNL, there juniors play in that comp as well.

With RDFL who knows how they will be structured, could you add Wallan, Lancefield, Romsey

Or Div 1 Yea, Broadford, Avenel, Longwood, Alexandra, Kinglake, Bonnie Doon, Wallan, Lancefield, Romsey (10 team competition. Yarra Glen, Warby and Powelly move back into AFL Outer east division 1 competition. Football and netball would still be run on a Saturday.

Or Currently Div 2 is 8 teams, maybe add 2 of Avenel, Longwood or Bonnie Doon and make it a 10 team competition. Distance is becoming great though to travel

Currently Broadford to Powelltown is 124 km

Avenel to Powelly is 159km
Bonnie Doon to Powelly is 169km
Longford to Powelly is 179km
The RDFL clubs would be zero chance of going into the Melba set up as would kilmore,waste of time talking about it

League sat down with the clubs to work the roadmap out so if they had issues with the dates I'm sure they would have brought it up. Don't underestimate the volume of people trying to find a way to make it happen vs those trying to find a way not to make it happen!

Then there is reality.

RDFL will expand there league in the next few years,they won't lose any clubs.

Where too?
Eyensbury will never get a senior side until they have a bigger population.
I do realise they have put in some great efforts to turn things around since leaving the Highlands setup but they won't ever get back to what they had.

Rockbank even with a name change should be in the WRFL.
Melton only stays in the league due to the league starting them.
Diggers Rest's population is booming and they'll soon miss their neighbours and join the EDFL
Romsey, WH, Riddell and Wallan are travelling fine.
Lancefield loves it as theyare pretty central.

I can see some of these sides ending up elsewhere sooner than later.

Where too?
Eyensbury will never get a senior side until they have a bigger population.
I do realise they have put in some great efforts to turn things around since leaving the Highlands setup but they won't ever get back to what they had.

Rockbank even with a name change should be in the WRFL.
Melton only stays in the league due to the league starting them.
Diggers Rest's population is booming and they'll soon miss their neighbours and join the EDFL
Romsey, WH, Riddell and Wallan are travelling fine.
Lancefield loves it as theyare pretty central.

I can see some of these sides ending up elsewhere sooner than later.

Rockbank/Western Rams will end up going to WRFL

Diggers will go join Rupo and Sunbury Kangaroos in EDFL

Wallan definitely being spoken to by NFNL to re-join

If that happens RDFL down to 6 teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back