SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm only guessing, but wouldn't anyone being paid to play, whether netball or football, go into salary cap? Disclaimer - I have not read the League salary cap rules.

Depends on the league but I know of netballers being paid.

I also know of a situation where the partner of a gun player was paid huge amounts to play netball whilst the footballer was on very low payments given his talent. The relationship broke up and she made the club continue to pay her that fee to play for the remainder of the season!!

I would love to see a blanket ban on any player payments for community sport across football, cricket, netball etc. It’s killing so many clubs and burning out volunteers galore trying to chase the sponsors, fundraisers, run the canteens, bars etc.

It will never happen, total pipe dream but if a sport can’t stand on its own two feet at community level without paying people to play what does it say about the health of the sport?

Can assure you if Alexandra FNC are being audited there is nothing to see. Well run and financial and very fiscally responsible with recruiting and remuneration. Yes they have a lot of 'imports' but they are fellows that want to be at the club for the long term, they are not 'fly by nighters'.

A good example of how to run a football/ netball club at community level and one that Outer East needs to keep as they are a well respected group and their hospitality is first class.

not true rumours are alex are dirty players and are over salary cap will be a harsh fine

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would love to see a blanket ban on any player payments for community sport across football, cricket, netball etc. It’s killing so many clubs and burning out volunteers galore trying to chase the sponsors, fundraisers, run the canteens, bars etc.

It will never happen, total pipe dream but if a sport can’t stand on its own two feet at community level without paying people to play what does it say about the health of the sport?

One of those “not a great system, but the best we have” things I reckon

We have the VAFA as an example… plenty are getting paid under the table, and it also just means the currency comes in other forms - in the VAFA case networking etc, which just means the big only get bigger.

In that sense, cash is often a great leveller, in a funny way.

For example, most Vic-based AFL players, if they leave the AFL at a reasonable age, will immediately be contacted by VAFA clubs that they have absolutely no connection with and offered jobs, cars, school fees, huge in-kind offers to come and play for the club. It’s just a network-based pissing contest.

At least local clubs can hope to compete somehow with some money. They can’t produce enormous networks out of nowhere.

Reality is it’s a very competitive pursuit so clubs will use whatever they can to better their squads. The cash system isn’t the worst, it’s just a fact of life.

You can watch the unpaid version of local footy every week, it starts at 12.30 and finishes at 2.10

So, which 2 clubs are being investigated by AFL Vic as part of the statewide crackdown on player payments???

Hope there’s a few people sweating it out over this. No time for cheats and what’s worse the people that cry cheat only to then defend their club doing the same. Only hope the penalty is enough to act as a deterrent going forward. Also feel sorry if any clubs have recruited players involved in salary cap breaches. The only comfort these clubs have is that if players self report or come clean during the AFL investigation they can be granted immunity.

Hope the two clubs are happy. 🖕

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have the VAFA as an example… plenty are getting paid under the table, and it also just means the currency comes in other forms - in the VAFA case networking etc, which just means the big only get bigger.

For example, most Vic-based AFL players, if they leave the AFL at a reasonable age, will immediately be contacted by VAFA clubs that they have absolutely no connection with and offered jobs, cars, school fees, huge in-kind offers to come and play for the club. It’s just a network-based pissing contest.

At least local clubs can hope to compete somehow with some money. They can’t produce enormous networks out of nowhere.

Reality is it’s a very competitive pursuit so clubs will use whatever they can to better their squads. The cash system isn’t the worst, it’s just a fact of life.

Yeah fair post and well thought out.

I think it’s a little bit more problematic in local cricket where most clubs don’t have anywhere near the turnover of footy clubs and there’s no VAFA equivalent, just subbies and prem.

If you go to the league webpage and scroll down the homepage, you will still see Berwick, Beaconsfield, Broadford, Cranbourne and Thornton listed as member clubs!

Juniors, netball and women’s?

Berwick and Cranbourne netball are in a new south-east netball comp.

Broadford are in recess but want to move to the Kyabram league (but that won't happen unless there is some sort of restructure in the Goulburn Murray region). Technically they are still an OEFNL club.

Not sure if Thornton-Eildon have any active teams.

Berwick and Cranbourne netball are in a new south-east netball comp.

Broadford are in recess but want to move to the Kyabram league (but that won't happen unless there is some sort of restructure in the Goulburn Murray region). Technically they are still an OEFNL club.

Not sure if Thornton-Eildon have any active teams.
T/E have women’s football in the comp still (barely)

Good overview and agree with lots that you’ve referenced. In Premier Div Outer East is the salary cap 120k? Still would be very surprised if any/many have the ability to pay to this. Incredibly hard to run your club at a profit and then chase 120k in sponsorship to pay players and then do this year on year. Largely sponsorship goes towards keeping clubs in the black (supporting facility maintenance, improvement) versus in one hand out the other to players. Yes some may pay overs but how are they really performing as a club over say a 3-5 year period?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can assure you if Alexandra FNC are being audited there is nothing to see. Well run and financial and very fiscally responsible with recruiting and remuneration. Yes they have a lot of 'imports' but they are fellows that want to be at the club for the long term, they are not 'fly by nighters'.

A good example of how to run a football/ netball club at community level and one that Outer East needs to keep as they are a well respected group and their hospitality is first class.
They've just copped a fine and 4 point deduction...

4 points seems light

Remove this Banner Ad

Back