SEASON 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been said, the critical factor is how much push and shove AFL Vic can (and will use) when it comes to outcomes. The whole EFL vote might be academic and display nothing more than popular vote at that point in time with no weight behind it. Would be interesting to see if clubs were rather informal in their voting assuming nothing would actually happen.
I also wonder how many people fully understand the process and whether many believe that if EFL clubs vote to have them in, how many assume it is a done deal and will happen automatically?

Article today in the Hun Local Footy about how Knox are dealing with so much uncertainty and it’s affecting their planning for next year because it may not be known for quite some time.

(Knox will remain in a 12 team D1 if Berwick come in, otherwise they’ll be relegated to D2.)

D2 is already an 8 team comp, if Berwick come in it’ll be 7 because there’ll be no relegation from D1. This would make the EFL 10/12/7/8/9.

Guaranteed that’d be adjusted very soon to 10/10/10/8/8, causing more upheaval.

Other suggestion is to drop them into D2 and just make it 9 teams... a lot cleaner but I can see Berwick making a mess of EFL D2.

As for the process you’re right, it could be drawn out, believe EFL clubs have to vote them in, then OEFL have to approve the move (which they might just do if Berwick really want out), then AFL Vic have to tick off on it... which would be a departure for them based on the geography.

Shades of Heidelberg a bit... EFL clubs initially ticked that off but AFL Vic blocked it. Though the Diamond Valley League did oppose the move.

Few thoughts

- Berwick pres sounds very smart and logical. It’s a pity more former SEFL clubs don’t share his views on what is plainly obvious - these are not country footy clubs.

- Into Premier in 5 years? Personally I’d have thought more like 1. They’re already a very good side and seem to play with 22 points each week. If they have a bit of money for a few recruits I think they’d be very, very strong in D1.

- I reckon they face an uphill battle with the proposal to go into D1. Obviously talking in complete generalities... Premier clubs won’t want them in as they’re a potential powerhouse. D1 clubs will fear getting smashed by them. And at least the top half of D2 see themselves as D1 clubs in the near future, so probably wouldn’t be in favour.

Putting in new clubs at the top or the bottom division means it affects less clubs directly. Trying to slot them into the second tier would make a hell of a lot of clubs nervous I think.

I agree. He is very well spoken.

Premier would be the right place but it would be a pipedream for the reasons mentioned above. Berwick would be out of Div 1 in twelve months and Div 2 would be an insult and would be a wasted year for all of Div 2 as every match would be a massacre.

I don't see how this is a wasted year and clearly you don't understand the backgound and reasoning behind the merger. The South East League was defunct and those clubs needed new homes. It may take a year or 2 for clubs to find their right level within the Outer East, or in Berwick's case, maybe outside of it. Forcing a few clubs to lift to a higher level can only be a good thing. Those without the population or resources to do this can find a level that suits them.
The reason for accepting the South-East clubs is well recognised as their comp fell over due to the dominance of the Big 4 and the clubs had to go somewhere.

I do agree with '10571z' in seeing it as a wasted year. There was no way the Valley clubs were going to be able to compete consistently against suburban clubs with ten times the population and multiple junior feeder clubs.

Woori were game all year and Wandin played OK at home but there was still an overall gulf between the best that the former Yarra Ranges clubs could muster and the strength of the South East suburban clubs. Olinda, Upwey and Healesville were copping numerous shellackings - in country football that is not unusual for it to happen to weak clubs but those three clubs are not weak, it is just that they are out of their depth. Only Healesville will get a reprieve next year but Doveton and either Pakenham or Monbulk will waste a year in 2020.

Cranbourne had a mini exodus pre-season and were missing 6-7 of their best players on the weekend (Leader newspapers quote of Cranbourne coach on weekend) and still comfortably beat Woori. Narre Warren, according to one post in the SNFL thread, are apparently deep in debt due to building new clubrooms but with that many local juniors don't need to recruit or pay players and are still a powerhouse.

Saying that "Forcing a few clubs to lift to a higher level can only be a good thing." ignores the fact that Valley clubs can't lift much higher than what Woori and Wandin managed this year. All former Yarra Ranges clubs relied on recruiting to become competitive as the population simply doesn't exist in the area. I am guessing that Woori and Wandin would have been close to their allotted salary caps as it is (I have no link to any Premier Div clubs so am only guessing but players the calibre of Van Unen, Gorringe etc do command some recompense). With the players they have brought in, they are still 5-8 goals short of being competitive with the big four consistently.

"Those without the population or resources to do this can find a level that suits them." They can't all find the level that suits them as 6 clubs will be forced to be in Premier Division next year which will be a level above where they are suited to. Those 6 clubs will try but won't win the flag. Only one club will drop down while the other 5 have to continue, unless the League decide to move 2 clubs every year. Therefore all the efforts that they will put in will be wasted as they just tread water. It's a bit like the EPL where you have a fair understanding of what the final ladder will look like before the season starts.

Interesting to see the interview on Gameface (link below) where the League indicate that they will hold Berwick to their two year agreement. For the good of the competition it would be best to let them go. I would be interested to know what the other Premier clubs thought of Berwick potentially leaving and whether they would stand in their way.

Talked to a former Broadford person who indicated that Broadford would be in Outer East next year. Couldn't find any official announcements anywhere so will wait and see on that. Possible clash jumpers required if it happens with three Kangaroos teams - Broadford, Thornton and Officer. They would go into Div 2 you would think if it did eventuate based purely on locality and the fact that they were near the bottom of the Riddell League. Interesting to see who the suburban team that will go into Div 1 are (as mentioned in the GameFace interview above). Unlikely to be Hampton Park as all indications are that they will stay where they are or possibly join MPNFL. Would be quite happy if Coldstream, Ferntree Gully, Silvan or South Belgrave were the clubs considering crossing (purely as they are more suited to the Yarra Valley Mountain District catchment area but can't see any of those happening.

Healesville and Warburton have requested to drop down a division and, as the bottom teams, will be granted that. Gembrook and Seville into Div 1 next year have been mentioned. Gembrook requested a promotion despite finishing 5th due to travel + U18s and would be much more centrally located in Div 1. Does that mean if Junction wins a second consecutive flag they will still remain in Div 2?

Premier Division almost certain to have 10 teams next year unless Berwick leave. That would then potentially leave 9 teams in each division and the league will want to avoid that. If Berwick leave do they lift 3 into Premier to keep 10 clubs? What Div will the new Berwick Springs Reserves side join, would probably be best suited to Premier Div Reserves on locality.

Div 1 in 2020 might have 9 teams at this stage
Pakenham or Monbulk (to be decided Sunday)
Healesville
Officer
Mt Evelyn
Emerald
Belgrave
Seville
Gembrook
+ 1 new suburban club

Div 2 in 2020 could also be 9 teams
Warburton
Yarra Junction
Powelltown
Kinglake
Yarra Glen
Thornton
Yea
Alexandra
Broadford (possibly)

Last edited:
Contemplating Broadford joining the comp is bordering on the absurd to the point you wonder if someones just trying to be funny. There must be 3 other leagues closer to them than us. No wonder Gembrook would want to get out of D2. I hope Broadford don't mind supplying club umpires as with the current shortage, you'll struggle getting umpires travelling that far each home game. This year has been a real battle to get Thornton and Yea games covered.
Any more laughable than what has already transpired under the direction of these muppets? As it stands the league will stretch from Broadford to Cranbourne. Think about that for a minute.

Can't see Hampton Park joining the same league as Berwick, Beaconsfield, Cranbourne and Narre Warren any time soon. They have had enough torture inflicted upon them by those clubs to last a lifetime in the past decade or so to risk going through it all again.

Broadford is a real stretch for Div 2 - as has been mentioned the league catchment would stretch from Broadford to Cranbourne (the best part of two hours each way for that trip should it ever eventuate!) as a result. The only options they have are Riddell and Northern. They are struggling in Riddell and would be uncompetitive in the Northern (OE and Kyabram both involve a lot of travel to matches).

I reckon that Berwick should be let go to the Eastern as it will benefit both leagues.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on Ronison - Berwick were totally outclassed. It was a practice game and clubs aim for different outcomes but there still was a significant difference between both teams.

From memory, Noble kicked over 100pts, Berwick 1 goal.

Berwick beat Noble that year in the praccie, it was Balwyn that gave them the touch up.

Can't see Hampton Park joining the same league as Berwick, Beaconsfield, Cranbourne and Narre Warren any time soon. They have had enough torture inflicted upon them by those clubs to last a lifetime in the past decade or so to risk going through it all again.

Broadford is a real stretch for Div 2 - as has been mentioned the league catchment would stretch from Broadford to Cranbourne (the best part of two hours each way for that trip should it ever eventuate!) as a result. The only options they have are Riddell and Northern. They are struggling in Riddell and would be uncompetitive in the Northern (OE and Kyabram both involve a lot of travel to matches).

I reckon that Berwick should be let go to the Eastern as it will benefit both leagues.
Good move for Yea TEDFC Aexandra.and kinglake. Perhaps you should examine the Distanse between clubs in thre KDFL basically lancaster is not far from Echuca. The outer east clubs will fare better in recruiting as foyr umpires perhaps the league should Reintroduce a Northern chapter in umpires bear in mind they do get paid.

Still better pay than the SUA umpires, they get the same payments for all finals as home and away games!

Pretty funny stuff... the MPNFL have sent Cranbourne an invitiation to apply for 2020!

Sensibly, Cranbourne seem to have politely said "get stuffed" and they won't be applying unless they're basically assured of being accepted.

The OE has done the right thing by them and they'll be staying, at least for 2020.

Seriously AFL Vic... fix it.

The MPNFL is a mini empire trying to grab clubs from everywhere, even though the Peninsula clubs only want to play among themselves

The SFNL has multiple issues, including a 6 team division

The YVMDFL has been rooted

Create a new Southern league... draw a triangle between St Kilda, Pakenham and Frankston. Everything in there is in. 5 divisions, same as what works so well in the EFL. All problems solved.

Why as an average punter who would watch a handful of Valley games a year did I know what a disaster this merger would be but the brains at the league headquarters didn’t?

Case study’s, surveys, meetings and the morons didn’t realise this would happen!?

The main problem was the Valley was amazing before this. Now it’s just ruined.

Not to mention now most of the finals are taken from Valley.

Why as an average punter who would watch a handful of Valley games a year did I know what a disaster this merger would be but the brains at the league headquarters didn’t?

Case study’s, surveys, meetings and the morons didn’t realise this would happen!?

The main problem was the Valley was amazing before this. Now it’s just ruined.

Not to mention now most of the finals are taken from Valley.
The real problem was to many big fishes in a small pond... if anyone watched the recruit you woulda known van unen can’t swim!!

Pretty funny stuff... the MPNFL have sent Cranbourne an invitiation to apply for 2020!

Sensibly, Cranbourne seem to have politely said "get stuffed" and they won't be applying unless they're basically assured of being accepted.

The OE has done the right thing by them and they'll be staying, at least for 2020.

Seriously AFL Vic... fix it.

The MPNFL is a mini empire trying to grab clubs from everywhere, even though the Peninsula clubs only want to play among themselves

The SFNL has multiple issues, including a 6 team division

The YVMDFL has been rooted

Create a new Southern league... draw a triangle between St Kilda, Pakenham and Frankston. Everything in there is in. 5 divisions, same as what works so well in the EFL. All problems solved.

If I was a Cranbourne Supporter, My opinion would be the same except I would be saying "Go Forth and Multiply" and I am putting that lightly.

AFL Vic need to look at the Metro Comp and the Southern Football League should have expanded beyond Dandenong Doveton and Hallam 15 years ago. It is just those poeple in mansion in Inner Suburb thinking it is too far to go to Berwick and Pakenham

AFL Vic does not relisase if you close down a league(Ie SEFNL), It has repercussion north of the great divide as well.

Ventured out to Pakky, Narre blew there chances in the first half. Berwick came out in 2nd half and out gut-ran Narre. Created more numbers around the contests and game was over going into time on of the 3rd.
Enjoyed the standard of footy too. Better than the MPNFL Div 2 Grand Final last week.
Pakky & Monbulk today at Beacy. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Monbulk get up by less than a kick.
Two best teams during the home and away season, a shame for one to end their season in a Prelim.

Ventured out to Pakky, Narre blew there chances in the first half. Berwick came out in 2nd half and out gut-ran Narre. Created more numbers around the contests and game was over going into time on of the 3rd.
Enjoyed the standard of footy too. Better than the MPNFL Div 2 Grand Final last week.
Pakky & Monbulk today at Beacy. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Monbulk get up by less than a kick.
Two best teams during the home and away season, a shame for one to end their season in a Prelim.

I’d suggest Monbulk will have trouble on the big deck !!

The real problem was to many big fishes in a small pond... if anyone watched the recruit you woulda known van unen can’t swim!!
Didn’t he lick bags against narre as well as winning the league goal kicking?

Wandin struggled this year but I’m not sure JV “ not swimming” was exactly true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back