SEASON 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it’s confirmed Berwick has applied to move.

I hope the league big wigs give themselves a pat on the back for wasting a year of footy for all the hard working valley clubs.

Hopefully others follow suit
One club leaves,but two new clubs coming in?

Well it’s confirmed Berwick has applied to move.

I hope the league big wigs give themselves a pat on the back for wasting a year of footy for all the hard working valley clubs.

Hopefully others follow suit
I don't see how this is a wasted year and clearly you don't understand the backgound and reasoning behind the merger. The South East League was defunct and those clubs needed new homes. It may take a year or 2 for clubs to find their right level within the Outer East, or in Berwick's case, maybe outside of it. Forcing a few clubs to lift to a higher level can only be a good thing. Those without the population or resources to do this can find a level that suits them.

I'd be staggered if EFL clubs voted Berwick in. An outer-suburban powerhouse, well outside the traditional boundaries, that could field a gun side of 1-point players?

Bit like turkeys voting for xmas I think. Reminds me of when Heidelberg tries to get in.

Not sure how many of you saw the below. Doesn't make much sense given the MPNFL clubs didn't want Cranbourne.... now they're going to get a whole bunch of suburban clubs in?

Skye, Frankston Dolphins, Hampton Park, Chelsea Heights, Carrum Patterson Lakes and Lyndhurst among the rumours.

This is the place for the old SEFL clubs.

Southern league could lose clubs to the proposed new third division of the MPNFL

SFNL CEO Lee Hartman said any transfers needed to be worked through as “an industry’’ rather than “leagues trying to pinch clubs from each other’’.
Moorabbin Kingston Leader

A string of Southern league clubs is weighing up the future as the neighbouring Mornington Peninsula Nepean competition rolls out plans for a new division.

The MPNFL is calling for expressions of interest from clubs willing to join a third tier, setting an August 31 deadline.

It has prompted speculation about the futures of Southern clubs including Skye, Frankston Dolphins, Hampton Park, Chelsea Heights, Carrum Patterson Lakes and Lyndhurst.

SFNL CEO Lee Hartman has spoken to AFL Victoria about the issue amid fears from his board that the league could lose a handful of clubs.

“I’ve always said that wherever clubs need to play to remain sustainable and alive, we’re happy to look at that,’’ Hartman said.

“But we need to have a discussion as an industry, AFL Victoria, MPNFL, AFL Outer East, the amateurs, us, and be transparent about it.

“I know some leagues have approached clubs directly, and that doesn’t sit too well with us. We’ve brought up this issue with AFL Victoria and they’re monitoring it.

“Clearly, AFL Victoria need to tick off any movement between leagues. I’m pretty much on record saying clubs should be playing in leagues where they’re competitive and sustainable. But let’s do it as an industry and work out the best solution rather than leagues trying to pinch clubs from each other.
Shannon Henwood takes a kick for Hampton Park, which joined the Southern league last year.

“We’re happy to work with other leagues and AFL Victoria because some clubs are struggling. We understand that, so let’s have a look at the bigger picture rather than approach it from league to league. That’s happened for far too long.’’

Hartman said he’d spoken to some of the clubs concerned and they had told him they hadn’t been approached directly, “but I’ve got it on pretty good authority some have been, which is a little bit disappointing’’.

He said no Southern club had yet to confirm its intention to apply to the MPNFL.

Hartman said Southern’s divisional structure — it has four divisions — had always been an attraction of the league, as had its “flexible’’ netball competition.

“If the MPNFL does grow to three divisions, that would be an enticing carrot, I suppose,’’ he said.

Mornington president Rob Smith, who is on the MPNFL subcommittee dealing with the proposed third division, said no Southern clubs had been approached directly.

He said there had been “a bit of interest … half-a-dozen clubs have expressed interest … and we’ll wait and see who applies’’.

Asked if a third division could be up and running in 2020, Smith said: “I would say no. That’s just my opinion. I don’t want to speak on behalf of my subcommittee. It’s going to come down to how many clubs apply and then we have to think about the best way to approach it. If there are two there might be a different way we look at it. If there are four we might look at it differently. If there are six we’d look at it differently again.

“Ideally we’d like to end up with 10-10-10 (three divisions each with 10 teams), where everyone plays each other twice.’’

Clubs that do apply will face a rigorous process. Applicants “will be screened and presented to the presidents for final assessment and decision on entry’’.
It requires a 75 per cent majority of clubs to accept new affiliates.

The subcommittee said most MPNFL clubs thought a third division was a “necessary entry point’’ to the competition and a way for clubs to “reinvigorate after extended periods of non-success’’.

Hartman said Southern would prefer to keep four divisions “because of the competitive nature of it’’.

“Competition equalisation is as important as the number of teams playing,’’ he said.

“Four divisions is our ideal position but we need to weigh up how many clubs we’ve got and how that fits. We’re starting to look at that as we go through the finals.’’

Sandown dropped out of Division 4 before the start of the season owing to a lack of numbers.

The Cobras are in the Thirds competition and have told the league they intend to stay there in 2020.

Mt Waverley, which went into recess ahead of 2019, has given no indication it will try to return.

“It will be a shock for me if they came back,’’ Hartman said.
But VAFA club St Francis Xavier, which is on top of the VAFA Division 4 ladder, is interested in a move to the Southern league.

One club leaves,but two new clubs coming in?
Any clubs joining, such as Berwick Springs, will be in the lower divisions.

If Berwick do get accepted by EFL then that will leave just 8 clubs in Premier as Healesville will also drop down and the Div 1 premier will go up...probably reluctantly.

Hopefully the league goes back to 18 rounds next year and eliminates byes with even number of teams in divisions as much as possible.

Any clubs joining, such as Berwick Springs, will be in the lower divisions.

If Berwick do get accepted by EFL then that will leave just 8 clubs in Premier as Healesville will also drop down and the Div 1 premier will go up...probably reluctantly.

Hopefully the league goes back to 18 rounds next year and eliminates byes with even number of teams in divisions as much as possible.

Think the proposal is 2 up from Div 1 if Berwick stay with Healesville going down.
A 10/10/9 structure has been raised as a possibility in 2020, but a lot needs to happen pretty quickly for that to eventuate.

Think the proposal is 2 up from Div 1 if Berwick stay with Healesville going down.
A 10/10/9 structure has been raised as a possibility in 2020, but a lot needs to happen pretty quickly for that to eventuate.
I'm sure the League would be looking at that, but they can only force the premier up as far as I understand the agreement.

As the Div 1 clubs appear to be happy I wouldn't think there'd be much chance of a team coming up voluntarily.

The EFL ruling on Berwick later this month will be interesting. Cranbourne will likely inquire with the MPNFL expansion but seems unlikely to get 75%.

Has there been any more talk of Yea, Thornton and Alexandra joining a new northern district League?

AFL Outer East club Berwick applies to join Eastern Football League

September 4, 2019 1:30pm
Toby Prime
Knox Leader

Berwick wants out of the AFL Outer East after one year and has applied to join the Eastern Football League.

The EFL has called a special general meeting for September 25 for clubs to vote on the Wickers’ application.

The league has suggested in a memo seen by Leader that Berwick be placed in Division 1 next season and making the second-tier a 12-team competition.

It’s believed Berwick could be in Premier Division within five years.

Knox would be spared relegation from Division 1 and the Division 2 premier would be promoted.

Berwick president Glenn Gambetta said in a letter to the league that the club’s life members, sponsors, coaches and players unanimously supported the move.

“A move to the EFL we believe is not only in the best interest of the Berwick Football Club but is also in the best interest of football in the local region,” Gambetta said.

“Berwick has a population of 50,000 and at some point has to realise it has outgrown country football.

“If neighbouring clubs elect to remain affiliated with AFL Vic Country, I believe our club would become the club of choice for aspiring young footballers wanting to play the best standard of football they could.”

The club also expects to have a women’s team in 2020 and the possibility of two under-19s teams.

“As you can see, the club has strategically positioned itself for the move away from country football and believe the EFL is the league that is most conducive to Berwick FC and surrounding areas,” Gambetta said.

Berwick was the dominant side in the defunct South East league, winning three premierships in four years between 2015 and 2018.

It finished on top of the AFL Outer East Premier Division ladder this year with a 14-2 record and percentage of 224.02.

The Wickers will enter the finals series as premiership favourites.

As part of its transfer reasons, the club stated: “The move to AFL Outer East was a path of least resistance decision and was made in conjunction with four other SEFNL clubs.

“Berwick FC is now making a decision based on what is right for the Berwick FC.”

One Division 1 club official feared a new side could disrupt a competitive Division 1 competition.

The EFL has recommended Berwick join the second tier.

Average travel times for Division 1 clubs to Berwick’s Edwin Flack Reserve would be about 35 minutes.

In its summary, the league stated: “The EFL board has met with the Berwick Football Club and have been suitably impressed with the planning and work done by their committee as part of the application to transfer process.

“The board is of the unanimous view that Berwick Football Club will be a positive addition to the league and will assist their quest for a long-term sustainable future.”

AFL Outer East region general manager Aaron Bailey said it was aware of Berwick’s application to join EFL.

“We will await the outcome of that process and we will respond in due course,” Bailey said.

The EFL, AFL Victoria and Berwick were contacted for comment.

The special general meeting will be held at Ringwood’s Jubilee Park at 7pm.

Few thoughts

- Berwick pres sounds very smart and logical. It’s a pity more former SEFL clubs don’t share his views on what is plainly obvious - these are not country footy clubs.

- Into Premier in 5 years? Personally I’d have thought more like 1. They’re already a very good side and seem to play with 22 points each week. If they have a bit of money for a few recruits I think they’d be very, very strong in D1.

- I reckon they face an uphill battle with the proposal to go into D1. Obviously talking in complete generalities... Premier clubs won’t want them in as they’re a potential powerhouse. D1 clubs will fear getting smashed by them. And at least the top half of D2 see themselves as D1 clubs in the near future, so probably wouldn’t be in favour.

Putting in new clubs at the top or the bottom division means it affects less clubs directly. Trying to slot them into the second tier would make a hell of a lot of clubs nervous I think.

I'm sure the League would be looking at that, but they can only force the premier up as far as I understand the agreement.

As the Div 1 clubs appear to be happy I wouldn't think there'd be much chance of a team coming up voluntarily.

The EFL ruling on Berwick later this month will be interesting. Cranbourne will likely inquire with the MPNFL expansion but seems unlikely to get 75%.

Has there been any more talk of Yea, Thornton and Alexandra joining a new northern district League?

Given the location(s) of the potential new clubs being thrown up I doubt those three would be moved onto a northern league.
Div 2 sides could be enjoying the serenity in years to come.

Given the location(s) of the potential new clubs being thrown up I doubt those three would be moved onto a northern league.
Div 2 sides could be enjoying the serenity in years to come.

Agree doon would be a better fit elsewhere other than o&k where they currently live however would’ve thought they would join the other 3 northerns and possibly Kinglake and some kdl sides in a ‘Seymour district’ league?

Perhaps

Yea
Thornton
Alex
Doon
Broadford
Lance field?
Kilmore?
Kinglake
Wallan?
Avenel
Nagas
Long wood

There’s 12 for a start...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree doon would be a better fit elsewhere other than o&k where they currently live however would’ve thought they would join the other 3 northerns and possibly Kinglake and some kdl sides in a ‘Seymour district’ league?

Perhaps

Yea
Thornton
Alex
Doon
Broadford
Lance field?
Kilmore?
Kinglake
Wallan?
Avenel
Nagas
Long wood

Broadford will be AFLOE next year.
Premier = same as this year less Healesville with top 2 coming up.
Warby down to Div 2 with Seville and Gembrook into Div 1, and looking like at least 1 new club going into Div 1 + Berwick Springs.
Then at least one new (Broadford) club going into Div 2.

Perhaps

Yea
Thornton
Alex
Doon
Broadford
Lance field?
Kilmore?
Kinglake
Wallan?
Avenel
Nagas
Long wood

Do the maths travel in any northern league will be just as great as traveling to the current division 2. Two years ago i posted several posts yhat the YVMDFL was not the right fix but time has moved on Division 2 current YVMDFL could be improved with negotiations with EFL ie Chirnside Park, Croydon North ect. Worth a try. As for Yea. Alex . TEDFC ect it is up to them like it or not melbourne metro ius moving ot to Yea Alex ect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broadford will be AFLOE next year.
Premier = same as this year less Healesville with top 2 coming up.
Warby down to Div 2 with Seville and Gembrook into Div 1, and looking like at least 1 new club going into Div 1 + Berwick Springs.
Then at least one new (Broadford) club going into Div 2.
Is the new club in division 1 Hampton Park?

Hampton Park playing Div 2 SFNL next year, Berwick Springs would not gat within 20 goals of Warburton so not sure how they go in Div 1

Think you will find there is a high likelihood of the following occurring;

- Broadford joining Division 2 - they are very keen to move across and renew rivalries with the northern clubs. I have also heard Bonnie Down have made approaches but a move is unlikely. They are struggling on field.
- Berwick Springs to play in Division One - will be competitive but certainly not finalists.
- Dont dismiss the idea of Berwick going to the MPNFL. EFL clubs are not keen on them and similar sentiment to the approach by Heidelberg a few years ago.
- Hampton Park is considering a move but unlikely at this stage.

I don't see how this is a wasted year and clearly you don't understand the backgound and reasoning behind the merger. The South East League was defunct and those clubs needed new homes. It may take a year or 2 for clubs to find their right level within the Outer East, or in Berwick's case, maybe outside of it. Forcing a few clubs to lift to a higher level can only be a good thing. Those without the population or resources to do this can find a level that suits them.

Well said. Despite the naysayers the first year was always going to be challenging. I have watched a bit of Division One footy this year and the new clubs have been a terrific addition. Some really good footy and netball and some great rivalries already developing. Have spoken to many people at some of the new clubs and they are very happy with the new arrangements. The professionalism has certainly improved amongst all clubs and the competition will continue to evolve.

Went to division 2 final - terrific contest and was disappointed that Powelltown didn't get up. The support for them was absolutely sensational. The rivalry between them and Junction is as strong as ever. Great advertisement for footy in the area.

- Broadford joining Division 2 - they are very keen to move across and renew rivalries with the northern clubs. I have also heard Bonnie Down have made approaches but a move is unlikely. They are struggling on field.
- Berwick Springs to play in Division One - will be competitive but certainly not finalists.
- Dont dismiss the idea of Berwick going to the MPNFL. EFL clubs are not keen on them and similar sentiment to the approach by Heidelberg a few years ago.
I was at the EFL Div 3 granny yesterday and I don't like Berwicks chances of gaining entry into that comp.

Berwick Springs, I will say akin to Lyndhurst, who play D4 SFNL. They would not be competitive in AFLOE div1. I will dismiss Berwick going to MPNFL, no hope of that and not much chance of EFL atm. Hampton Park will stay in SFNL.

Berwick Springs, I will say akin to Lyndhurst, who play D4 SFNL. They would not be competitive in AFLOE div1. I will dismiss Berwick going to MPNFL, no hope of that and not much chance of EFL atm. Hampton Park will stay in SFNL.
Berwick Springs are only fielding a reserves and under 18 sides next year a senior team in 2021.

Doveton guaranteed a place in Premier Division next year by qualifying for grand final in Div 1. Either Pakky or Monbulk to join them.

Heard Officer people mention today that Beaconsfield is looking at SFL, interesting if true but first I've heard of it. Maybe for 2021 when the two year agreement expires.

Perhaps

Yea
Thornton
Alex
Doon
Broadford
Lance field?
Kilmore?
Kinglake
Wallan?
Avenel
Nagas
Long wood

Wallan and no, Kilmore a no, Lancefield a no, Kinglake ???

As much as it makes for thought of a mouthwatering comp that emcompasses the local cricket/junior football boundary up this way AFL Vic need to either say it's happening get ready, or those said clubs (maybe VT too) need to actually be up for it and embrace the thought of being part of the solution to sustaining the game in the area.

Wallan and no, Kilmore a no, Lancefield a no, Kinglake ???

As much as it makes for thought of a mouthwatering comp that emcompasses the local cricket/junior football boundary up this way AFL Vic need to either say it's happening get ready, or those said clubs (maybe VT too) need to actually be up for it and embrace the thought of being part of the solution to sustaining the game in the area.
Northern bssed clubs are still better suited to the current division two format. Especially in recruiting players from the eastern suburbs of melbourne. Whilst
Having played KDFL. Travel is still a major issue and out of town players from outer metro have thours to drive home. I still maintain division two can marginally expand as for Kinglake i understand they prefer the Rural feel of the comp as some metro comps can be slightly different to Country footy and netball Credit to YVMDFL /AFLOE. On netball alignment. The bjg focus is to get the northern based junior footy clubs in the comp

I'd be staggered if EFL clubs voted Berwick in. An outer-suburban powerhouse, well outside the traditional boundaries, that could field a gun side of 1-point players?

Bit like turkeys voting for xmas I think. Reminds me of when Heidelberg tries to get in.

Not sure how many of you saw the below. Doesn't make much sense given the MPNFL clubs didn't want Cranbourne.... now they're going to get a whole bunch of suburban clubs in?

Skye, Frankston Dolphins, Hampton Park, Chelsea Heights, Carrum Patterson Lakes and Lyndhurst among the rumours.

This is the place for the old SEFL clubs.

Southern league could lose clubs to the proposed new third division of the MPNFL

SFNL CEO Lee Hartman said any transfers needed to be worked through as “an industry’’ rather than “leagues trying to pinch clubs from each other’’.
Moorabbin Kingston Leader

A string of Southern league clubs is weighing up the future as the neighbouring Mornington Peninsula Nepean competition rolls out plans for a new division.

The MPNFL is calling for expressions of interest from clubs willing to join a third tier, setting an August 31 deadline.

It has prompted speculation about the futures of Southern clubs including Skye, Frankston Dolphins, Hampton Park, Chelsea Heights, Carrum Patterson Lakes and Lyndhurst.

SFNL CEO Lee Hartman has spoken to AFL Victoria about the issue amid fears from his board that the league could lose a handful of clubs.

“I’ve always said that wherever clubs need to play to remain sustainable and alive, we’re happy to look at that,’’ Hartman said.

“But we need to have a discussion as an industry, AFL Victoria, MPNFL, AFL Outer East, the amateurs, us, and be transparent about it.

“I know some leagues have approached clubs directly, and that doesn’t sit too well with us. We’ve brought up this issue with AFL Victoria and they’re monitoring it.

“Clearly, AFL Victoria need to tick off any movement between leagues. I’m pretty much on record saying clubs should be playing in leagues where they’re competitive and sustainable. But let’s do it as an industry and work out the best solution rather than leagues trying to pinch clubs from each other.
Shannon Henwood takes a kick for Hampton Park, which joined the Southern league last year.

“We’re happy to work with other leagues and AFL Victoria because some clubs are struggling. We understand that, so let’s have a look at the bigger picture rather than approach it from league to league. That’s happened for far too long.’’

Hartman said he’d spoken to some of the clubs concerned and they had told him they hadn’t been approached directly, “but I’ve got it on pretty good authority some have been, which is a little bit disappointing’’.

He said no Southern club had yet to confirm its intention to apply to the MPNFL.

Hartman said Southern’s divisional structure — it has four divisions — had always been an attraction of the league, as had its “flexible’’ netball competition.

“If the MPNFL does grow to three divisions, that would be an enticing carrot, I suppose,’’ he said.

Mornington president Rob Smith, who is on the MPNFL subcommittee dealing with the proposed third division, said no Southern clubs had been approached directly.

He said there had been “a bit of interest … half-a-dozen clubs have expressed interest … and we’ll wait and see who applies’’.

Asked if a third division could be up and running in 2020, Smith said: “I would say no. That’s just my opinion. I don’t want to speak on behalf of my subcommittee. It’s going to come down to how many clubs apply and then we have to think about the best way to approach it. If there are two there might be a different way we look at it. If there are four we might look at it differently. If there are six we’d look at it differently again.

“Ideally we’d like to end up with 10-10-10 (three divisions each with 10 teams), where everyone plays each other twice.’’

Clubs that do apply will face a rigorous process. Applicants “will be screened and presented to the presidents for final assessment and decision on entry’’.
It requires a 75 per cent majority of clubs to accept new affiliates.

The subcommittee said most MPNFL clubs thought a third division was a “necessary entry point’’ to the competition and a way for clubs to “reinvigorate after extended periods of non-success’’.

Hartman said Southern would prefer to keep four divisions “because of the competitive nature of it’’.

“Competition equalisation is as important as the number of teams playing,’’ he said.

“Four divisions is our ideal position but we need to weigh up how many clubs we’ve got and how that fits. We’re starting to look at that as we go through the finals.’’

Sandown dropped out of Division 4 before the start of the season owing to a lack of numbers.

The Cobras are in the Thirds competition and have told the league they intend to stay there in 2020.

Mt Waverley, which went into recess ahead of 2019, has given no indication it will try to return.

“It will be a shock for me if they came back,’’ Hartman said.
But VAFA club St Francis Xavier, which is on top of the VAFA Division 4 ladder, is interested in a move to the Southern league.
I’d be absolutely shocked if Berwick didn’t end up in the EFL.

To have a town of 50,000 in a country try league is so stupid if almost defies logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back