Review Round 4 = Brisbane Lions 116-83 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Football and sporting grounds have the most dreadful names now, and change so frequently that most of the time I have difficulty knowing the ground from its name. You can't get much worse than ' Brighton Homes Arena', with the feeling that each time you mention the name or that of any other ground, you're assisting the sponsor company with publicity and sales. I hate it.
I heard that
The Shining Lol GIF by Animation Domination High-Def

Knowing what the AFL is like they’ll probably put the matches on at some suburban ground in Brisbane in front of about 6000 people rather than at the MCG.The AFL doesn’t seem to like us playing the Lions at the MCG for some reason.Even on the rare occasions that the Lions come down to Melbourne to play us,the games are usually at Marvel stadium,so no big home ground advantage for us.
Every Victorian club wants a home game against the Pies to maximise revenue from the gate, hence the oft-bemoaned lack of travel. Since Pies are only going interstate 4 or 5 times a year, the league wants to use those trips as much as possible to serve the weak interstate teams and their babies such as Sydney and Brisbane. It’s the same situation like us not playing the Swans in Melbourne for a decade or whatever it was. It’s not so much about us not wanting to play in Melbourne but rather really wanting us to play away to those teams as much as possible.

Football and sporting grounds have the most dreadful names now, and change so frequently that most of the time I have difficulty knowing the ground from its name. You can't get much worse than ' Brighton Homes Arena', with the feeling that each time you mention the name or that of any other ground, you're assisting the sponsor company with publicity and sales. I hate it.
That's why I refer to the second Melbourne stadium as "Docklands", rather than whatever its current name happens to be.

Agree. I make it a policy to use the real names of ovals / stadiums and to avoid using the sponsor sames.

Eg. Carrara not Metricon or whatever the F they are naming it now.

Agree. I make it a policy to use the real names of ovals / stadiums and to avoid using the sponsor sames.

Eg. Carrara not Metricon or whatever the F they are naming it now.
Would that make the AIA Centre the Glasshouse? I think it was that originally. 🤔

Don't think this was too bad. Brisbane always tough to beat there and we did still have 28 shots for goal.

Got our defensive balance wrong and gave up easy goals. As last year, this will be a key to our success. Let even poor teams in at times by allowing ball over the top of our defense. Showed up against the Cats also.

Last edited:
How so? We had Cameron and Cox rucking in the 2nd half of last year, neither of whom we had on Thursday night.

We where 2nd Worst in Clearnces with Cox and Cameron last season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

....swimming pool part of the building...
This was originally the swimming pool used for the 1956 Olympics - the large glass structure was on the site for years - can't remember the various developments leading up to today -

This was originally the swimming pool used for the 1956 Olympics - the large glass structure was on the site for years - can't remember the various developments leading up to today -

The swimming pool and glass structure are all the same thing, and were built as a covered swimming pool for the 1956 Olympics. Famous for its architecture, and one of the original architects was Peter McIntyre. By coincidence, McIntyre’s father designed the 1950s Social Club building at Vic Park, with both McIntyres designing the Rush Stand. So the McIntyre connection is there, however I know Peter’s daughter and can confirm the love was not passed down.☹️

The building got butchered in the 1980s when it was turned into a basketball venue. I think that’s when it got the name ‘Glasshouse’.

When Collingwood took over in the 2000s, we did further work to the building to convert it into our training/admin facility, but with heritage controls in place we had to bring back some of the transparency which had been lost in the 1980s.

There’s a well known story in heritage circles of Eddie going to Heritage Victoria to badger my old boss into letting the club introduce a huge magpie emblem to the gable at the west end. But Eddie met his match, lost that fight, and (sadly) we have no magpie.

The swimming pool and glass structure are all the same thing, and were built as a covered swimming pool for the 1956 Olympics. Famous for its architecture, and one of the original architects was Peter McIntyre. By coincidence, McIntyre’s father designed the 1950s Social Club building at Vic Park, with both McIntyres designing the Rush Stand. So the McIntyre connection is there, however I know Peter’s daughter and can confirm the love was not passed down.☹️

The building got butchered in the 1980s when it was turned into a basketball venue. I think that’s when it got the name ‘Glasshouse’.

When Collingwood took over in the 2000s, we did further work to the building to convert it into our training/admin facility, but with heritage controls in place we had to bring back some of the transparency which had been lost in the 1980s.

There’s a well known story in heritage circles of Eddie going to Heritage Victoria to badger my old boss into letting the club introduce a huge magpie emblem to the gable at the west end. But Eddie met his match, lost that fight, and (sadly) we have no magpie.

Tks VP - I suffered a clarity lapse when not being specific about the swimming pool being housed in the glass structure - I remember it well as we used to have our intra and inter school swimming sports there - I did well to avoid making an aquatic fool of myself by not participating.

Tks VP - I suffered a clarity lapse when not being specific about the swimming pool being housed in the glass structure - I remember it well as we used to have our intra and inter school swimming sports there - I did well to avoid making an aquatic fool of myself by not participating.

Better to be an aquatic fool than a watery tart or moistened bint!

Things to be positive about -
28 scoring shots
We missed some sitters
We had a big list of key outs
No recognised ruckman
We had good players have a poor game
They beat us predominantly from forcing us to make mistakes on our handball chains which I think the coaching staff can fix
They were also 40 points up on Melbourne two weeks prior so their home form was red hot.
We have the best coach in the comp and he will have us regroup quickly

It was used as a concert venue at one stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back