Toast Round 10 = Collingwood 78-74 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

A few great things, IQ’s smoother & Fin yelling at Crisp to make sure he knows he’s been chased.

Love it.

Would really love to see end to end vision of that. Would have loved to see how hard the Collingwood players were running behind crisp compared to Adelaide.

But from the side on vision it was Collingwood doing all the running.

That’s no longer the rule (unsure if/when it was). The rulebook allows for players to dispose of it “incorrectly” if they have no prior & are genuinely attempting to dispose of it.

However, I would still argue that they missed heaps of textbook HTB calls yesterday.

Edit: sideswipe beat me to it
I say, along with plenty of others, including our very own Scott Pendlebury..that if you have dropped the ball to your feet to kick it (& miss) or throw the ball out with one hand (not a handball) then you have had prior opportunity. The umpires have recently said they have been encouraged to call 'play on' in those instances. It seems to me that lots of players are now not even trying to dispose of the ball correctly..they're just dropping it or throwing it, knowing it will be called 'play on'.

They wouldn’t have had even 15 seconds. The clock stopped when the whistle blew at 16 and the players continued to play not knowing. Think it would have been not much more than 5.
And a point wouldn’t have helped. It had to be a goal. It looked certain to be a ballup with 15 seconds on the clock at the absolute maximum

No. You don't get footy. Stuff stats. They are a laughable representation of a player's worth and out put so often. The eye test is the one that counts. The fact that Cox gets selected week in and week out under the legendary Fly's insightful eye says it all. The Bronx cheer says a lot about the Collingwood crowd, not Cox.

Cox was the second best contested mark in the comp in 2018. He equaled the record for most contested marks in a preliminary final. He has played around 120 games which places him in the top 15 % of players who have ever played the game. Those are stats which count. Contested marks are gold in our game. Games played is another stat which tells us about a player's value. Not bad for a gangly yank who had never heard of the game a few years ago. The worst mark in the comp? What an embarrassingly silly comment.

He is a premiership player who featured in one of the most iconic moments in our illustrious club's history. That centre bounce after Cameron put the Lions in front with five minutes remaining in the grand final saw Coxy get the vital tap which set the Degoey goal up. He won all of the final seven ruck contests with the Big O in the last ten minutes of that Grannie. Maybe Freddie would have done better.. How quickly we forget and how bitter we become even after another miraculous win by an undermanned team.
Hear Hear!!!

Just watched the mini replay. Harrison and Sullivan have added a lot to our team with their super fast handballs in heavy traffic and vision to hit targets. They are almost in Nick D territory.
Harvey’s handball in the chain leading to DeGoey’s winning goal was elite - his hands were lightening fast.
And he does that constantly, which when combined with his Footy IQ, will make him a very very good player.

Harvey’s handball in the chain leading to DeGoey’s winning goal was elite - his hands were lightening fast.
And he does that constantly, which when combined with his Footy IQ, will make him a very very good player.
He has the right attributes - quick thinking, quick hands, quick on his feet.
He reads the play beautifully.
It looks like we've got a good 'un.

So lightning quick I didn’t notice until the third viewing

I love how we have another umpiring decision paid nowhere near goal that supposedly “cost the game”

Except this time we actually know no goal would have been kicked because the players all kept playing long after the free was paid and we had caused another ball up lol

Add to that, Rankine did his hammy so wouldn’t have attended said throw up means the most likely outcome is still a Collingwood win even if too far wasn’t paid

Kane Cornes, and credit where credit is due because he sprouts a lot of crap, rightfully pointed out that the Crows didn't actually win possession and they would've needed to kick a goal from a stoppage with under 10 secs on the clock. They weren't even close to being robbed.

Might be less infuriated if you read the rules. If a player does not have prior opportunity it’s not incorrect disposal if they make a genuine attempt and the ball is dislodged in the tackle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Plenty think the 'incorrect disposal' interpretation has been relaxed this year, specifically in the last month, including Leigh Matthews, Scott Pendlebury and many others. That's what I'm infuriated by.

What I, and others are referring to, are players simply dropping the ball or throwing the ball whilst being tackled. They are not making a genuine attempt to dispose of it 'correctly'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty think the 'incorrect disposal' interpretation has been relaxed this year, specifically in the last month, including Leigh Matthews, Scott Pendlebury and many others. That's what I'm infuriated by.

What I, and others are referring to, are players simply dropping the ball or throwing the ball whilst being tackled. They are not making a genuine attempt to dispose of it 'correctly'.

I can’t help what others think. The only interpretation in play is whether an umpire thinks there was a genuine attempt. Your and other posts about rewarding tackles is a concept that doesn’t exist in the rules.

Reckon plenty of commentators could benefit from a re-read, or even a first read of the actual rules.

I can’t help what others think. The only interpretation in play is whether an umpire thinks there was a genuine attempt. Your and other posts about rewarding tackles is a concept that doesn’t exist in the rules.

Reckon plenty of commentators could benefit from a re-read, or even a first read of the actual rules.

It must just be purely coincidental that since Steve McBurney has been appointed as the new umpire's boss a month ago, the htb/incorrect disposal interpetration has been relaxed and people like Matthews & Pendlebury are confused/noticed the change.

It must just be purely coincidental that since Steve McBurney has been appointed as the new umpire's boss a month ago, the htb/incorrect disposal interpetration has been relaxed and people like Matthews & Pendlebury are confused/noticed the change.

Ok I watched the first four minutes of that clip - Lethal just spoke in generalities, didn’t bring up an actual example and not once mentioned the two key elements- prior opportunity and genuine attempt to dispose of the pill.

Lethal needs to work on his substantive comment.

The aim of the AFL is to make the game faster.

The rules haven't changed but interpretation is different and inconsistent.

They seem to want continuous play, packs forming. Even the players at times seem to look for the whistle to be blown.

From "season over" according to some clowns after 3 games, to back in the top 4 in less than 2 months. :D
I have to admit that I am one of those clowns. After 3, the desire and pressure just didn't seem to be there. I have no idea how they switched it back on, but am mightily grateful that they have.
The way that the "possibles" have stepped up to become the "how can we leave them outs" is astounding.
The way that Jack Crisp has regained the fire is the most significant factor to my eye.

The aim of the AFL is to make the game faster.

The rules haven't changed but interpretation is different and inconsistent.

They seem to want continuous play, packs forming. Even the players at times seem to look for the whistle to be blown.
The biggest change, as I see it, is that it is now alright for a player to get the ball and just hold it in, while he searches for a good option, almost indefinitely. If no option presents, he just hangs on, and is almost never penalized. Most of these are cases of holding the ball, as it is very deliberate. There is rarely even a pretend handball attempt, because the moving of one arm might let the ball out, and this is not the player's purpose.

This is not a fault of the umpires, but the result of an AFL direction, instituted without telling anyone, like so many of the changes we suffer. Umpires are extraordinarily good. They make few mistakes in judging who had hands on marks, and rarely get it wrong when judging who is doing the holding. Most of the "mistakes" , such as unpenalized blocks are like the holding the ball problem: the result of AFL directions.

That’s right.When a player is running at full pelt like Rankine was,their stride would be a lot more than a metre,probably more like 1.5 metres at a minimum.
Look at a slow motion replay of a 100 m sprint and you will see that the top sprinters cove the 100 in about 30 paces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back