Toast Round 10 = Collingwood 78-74 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get the hate for Gary Lyon? I’m watching Q4 and they’re not barracking for either team and even admitting CWood will likely win

Listen to the voice, any chance he gets when something is against us it gets high pitched.

In the immediate aftermath, I was frustrated with our second half despite holding on to win the match. However, giving myself time to reflect further and digest what happened, I couldn't be prouder of the adversity we overcame to win this one.

Our forward line was already depleted without Elliott, Mihocek and McCreery, and then adding today's injuries to Hoskin-Elliott and McInnes, you can see why we were struggling and it took a massive effort to regain the lead and hold on.

The Crows did well to spread and switch across the ground, giving them avenues to goal. We looked tired in the last but extracted everything in the last five minutes to get the match back on our terms.

Absolutely loved the passage of play leading to De Goey's goal. Quaynor's smother at centre half back, N Daicos with the pinpoint pass to JDG who then calmly goes back and converts his set shot goal. A massive clutch moment that we've become all too familiar with since Fly started coaching us.

Outstanding effort by John Noble in his 100th game. 29 disposals today and been one of our biggest improvers of the season. It could have been easy for him to throw in the towel after missing out on the premiership last year, but the way he's fought back and become a better version of himself is something to be admired.

Currently in the top 4 for the time being, and Carlton are out of the 8. It doesn't get better than that :)

I love how we have another umpiring decision paid nowhere near goal that supposedly “cost the game”

Except this time we actually know no goal would have been kicked because the players all kept playing long after the free was paid and we had caused another ball up lol

Add to that, Rankine did his hammy so wouldn’t have attended said throw up means the most likely outcome is still a Collingwood win even if too far wasn’t paid

Good to know this isn’t taking your prior opportunity, nor is it high contact with the fend off. Thanks for the clarification umps.

60bb0371c70750ddc16385a0564003df.jpg

You'd think with the carry on Rankine kicked a goal after his run, or a Crows player marked the ball. If the free kick wasn't paid, the Crows had 15 seconds to kick a goal, and I'm backing us to defend that. It didn't cost them the game. People are are unable to deal with a loss emotionally and just need something to blame.

Billy Frampton was great today, defence is his home now.
Turning Walker inside out in the last was a great play

from my Delorean

Fly's presser

In your time as coach, it's been 16 wins out of 20 in games decided by 6 points or less. It's become a repetitive theme, but are we seeing the experience of this come to the fore?
"Potentially. Everyone presents something different but there's definitely a comfort in this space. There's a comfort in the close margins that we've been here before and we know what to do and then there's a comfort in that".
Further to that, your forward line was different especially with additional injuries in Will Hoskin-Elliott and Reef McInnes, but you find a way to win.
"It's a challenging period for us, it really is. We come in with a plan and you know the plans already gonna be stressed and then the plan gets even more stressed and then you go 'ah, what are we gonna do now?'. Credit to Scott Selwood, he's doing an incredible job. We found a way to kick 12 goals today and that shouldn't be undersold. 9 different goal kickers again, but it is a stress. Yeah, there's a stress".
How is Will Hoskin-Elliott and Reef McInnes?
"Reef's got a concussion, so he's obviously gonna be out for a period of time. Will's got a low grade hamstring, which we'll know more tomorrow how bad that is. Reported as a low grade hamstring at the minute".
Are you comfortable with the way the Reef McInnes situation played out in, with it taking a few minutes to review and assess him?
"I must admit, I wasn't caught up in that. I'll have to watch that to have an opinion I must say".
Will Jordan De Goey be possibly monitored for any delayed concussion symptoms?
"It was a heavy fall wasn't it? Yeah potentially. Anytime there's something like that, you got to look out for that, but he was important wasn't he? At the end too, so sliding door moments really isn't it? Can I just give credit to Adelaide, I know they don't like hearing this but we have some incredible games against them, and some of their players I admire from afar. [Jordan] Dawson. What a player. I wish he was playing for us. Just when they need to win a game, he just goes and just puts himself wherever the game needs. He took three marks in a row going 'oh god, can we just Crispy, can you just go play on him quick?' and then Izak Rankine, you can do everything you want. There's a plan, but that young lad has got exceptional talent so they'll have to pick themselves up, but jeez they're a tough team to play against".
How far do you think Izak Rankine was running in the last 20 seconds?
"Well, he ran in front of me and I'm going I didn't realise and most of the crowd didn't realise how far he'd ran but that's not a reflection on how he played. He's an exceptional player".
Isaac Quaynor didn't have a great game, but that smother in the end was significant?
"We spoke about that inside. That's a good pick up. We want to have our moments. Mason [Cox] had a big moment at the end, you know, little moments. Manage those well. Do those enough, and then hopefully the scoreboard is a reflection of that. We've got a good reputation of managing moments well".
How do you configure your forward line for next week's match against Fremantle?
"I'm hoping there's a few come back. Beau [McCreery] will be available. Checkers has raced to the line, but he's looking better every day. Don't know yet. We'll stay here and lick our wounds later".
On Scott Pendlebury, he's 36 and playing his 393rd game and arguably played one of his best games. How long can he keep playing for?
"Well, I won't touch the future other than the present and the present is he's playing as good as he can. His first quarter [he] kicked two, and set up the other two, just unbelievable. He's an incredible professional. Coming to 400 games. He's clearly proven that he is one of those, but every week his training high standards and PBs [personal bests] here and there. The future is the future, but right now we're rapt with how he's going".
You've played alongside and coached some of the most impressive professional footballers. Have you seen anyone more professional than Scott Pendlebury in terms of his preparation, training standards and knowing what he needs to get the best out of himself?
"It's hard to argue against that. I can only speak for the last couple of years and then maybe a bit more when I was a development coach. Longevity is a great success story. You don't have that longevity without the professionalism and then managing your body. Harvey Harrison did his ankle [last week] and looked unlikely to play. This is last week, I said 'ring Pendles' because Pendles gets up for those games. He had an incredible history of getting young guys up and tell them what you did so all those experiences are enormous for us".
How proud are you of John Noble? The first mid-season draftee to reach 100 games and how he's responded after missing out on the premiership last year?
"He's a bit of a heartbeat for certain parts of our game. He can have a milestone and play well on a milestone. That's a nice attraction to it, isn't it? He kicked a beautiful goal. The story's been told but he's still living it, and he's going through it. He's a hungry guy and we need hungry players. He's really important to us when he's fighting and scrapping and playing the best version of him. We celebrated that yesterday and again just before the game about the significance of it and we got our players to tell us 'what you love about Johnny'. There was some really glowing affirmation for what he does for our team".
Nick Daicos stamped his reputation again as a hard ball player. 14 clearances and 22 contested possessions.
"It's a high bar isn't it. It's a high bar when you're comparing what he's doing in a short period of the game. Incredible start to the game. Unbelievable. 15 touches or something like that. His pressure. It's a high bar".
Getting back to De Goey with regard to his fall, are you concerned about his availability for next week?
"No, not in regards to that. I'm clearly not a doctor, so I'll leave that to the experts but that stuff will be taken care of. Can I just give a shout out to Uncle Trevor Davis. He designed the jumper. Magnificent Trev. He got in and told some stories during the week and just had him in the rooms there. It's a special day for Indigenous people, and we wanted to show respect and hopefully we made that jumper proud for you and your family".
On Isaac Quaynor's smother and the subsequent passage of play that led to Jordan De Goey's goal, how much of that play is trained compared to it being a bit of luck?
"We train system, method, situations and moments. That's what we can train, but then the game gives you all the other parts. Bounce the ball here, and free kicks there and like we can't control those things. We work hard on those things. Of course you need a little bit of luck here and there. Maybe if you didn't call 'run too far' the ball is down there and who knows what can happen. You need some luck along the way, but we can only manage what we can control. The fighting elements of those moments we train that every week".
You celebrate those desperate acts?
"Yep, consistently. It will be shown on Monday and then probably highlighted before the next game and go 'hey, remember this, this is who we are'. Most teams will do that. This just becomes part of your DNA".
Is there an award?
"We do have 'Tackler of the Week'. They get a free car park. They get the best car park in the place".
Will Isaac Quaynor get the best car park for the smother?
"Not for the smother, but he might park in there as well this week".
On Jamie Elliott, do you have a clear timeline on his return?
"No, that's a week to week at the minute. No, I'll let Jarrod Wade update that during the week, but at this stage I don't know. I can't comment".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If our 61 games under McRae, 25 of them (41%) have been decided by a single digit margin. We have won 20 of those, drawn 1 and lost 4.

The moral is, don’t start celebrating and shushing the crowd when you’re a few points up against us with 5 minutes to go.
It's a ridiculous record. I don't even panic anymore when it's close because I have great confidence in our players and coaches to handle it.

[1]. Round 5 2022 (Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood) = -7
[2]. Round 11 2022 (Collingwood vs Carlton) = +4
[3]. Round 12 2022 (Hawthorn vs Collingwood) = +4
[4]. Round 16 2022 (Gold Coast vs Collingwood) = +5
[5]. Round 17 2022 (Collingwood vs North Melbourne) = +7
[6]. Round 18 2022 (Adelaide vs Collingwood) = +5
[7]. Round 19 2022 (Collingwood vs Essendon) = +4
[8]. Round 20 2022 (Collingwood vs Port Adelaide) = +6
[9]. Round 21 2022 (Melbourne vs Collingwood) = +7
[10]. Round 23 2022 (Carlton vs Collingwood) = +1
[11]. Qualifying Final 2022 (Geelong vs Collingwood) = -6
[12]. Preliminary Final 2022 (Sydney vs Collingwood) = -1

[13]. Round 5 2023 (Collingwood vs St Kilda) = +6
[14]. Round 7 2023 (Adelaide vs Collingwood) = +1
[15]. Round 13 2023 (Melbourne vs Collingwood) = -4
[16]. Round 15 2023 (Collingwood vs Adelaide) = +2
[17]. Round 19 2023 (Port Adelaide vs Collingwood) = +2
[18]. Round 22 2023 (Collingwood vs Geelong) = +8
[19]. Qualifying Final 2023 (Collingwood vs Melbourne) = +7
[20]. Preliminary Final 2023 (Collingwood vs GWS) = +1
[21]. Grand Final 2023 🏆 (Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions) = +4

[22]. Round 4 2024 (Collingwood vs Hawthorn) = +5
[23]. Round 7 2024 (Essendon vs Collingwood) = 0
[24]. Round 8 2024 (Carlton vs Collingwood) = +6
[25]. Round 10 2024 (Collingwood vs Adelaide) = +4

The umps have said that's what they've been told to do. But it's wrong. It's incorrect disposal. It's been the rule for over 100 years, hasn't it? So infuriating. There's no reward for the tackler.

Might be less infuriated if you read the rules. If a player does not have prior opportunity it’s not incorrect disposal if they make a genuine attempt and the ball is dislodged in the tackle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rankines run , to the letter of the law was illegal but to the eye it looked legit.i reckon the rules committee should change that rule. It's a great part of our game watching a speedster burn grass Would've been cursing if it happened to us.
Is the ruling metres run or steps taken? From a practical point of view it'd have to be metres.

The umps have said that's what they've been told to do. But it's wrong. It's incorrect disposal. It's been the rule for over 100 years, hasn't it? So infuriating. There's no reward for the tackler.
That’s no longer the rule (unsure if/when it was). The rulebook allows for players to dispose of it “incorrectly” if they have no prior & are genuinely attempting to dispose of it.

However, I would still argue that they missed heaps of textbook HTB calls yesterday.

Edit: sideswipe beat me to it

That he ran too far.

Did i think they'd pay it? No, because they normally swallow the whistle in the last few mins and they'd only paid 19 free kicks for the game.

Was it the right call? Absolutely.
That is the real issue isn't it. Consistency. The right decision was made. However can anybody remember when such a decision was last made? How many blatant HTB/ incorrect disposal decisions were not called when we should have been the recipient but were called against us. Maybe they need to agree on 3 Mississippi's and then blow the whistle. However the 4 umpire's positioning on the same side of the ground is ludicrous

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No. You don't get footy. Stuff stats. They are a laughable representation of a player's worth and out put so often. The eye test is the one that counts. The fact that Cox gets selected week in and week out under the legendary Fly's insightful eye says it all. The Bronx cheer says a lot about the Collingwood crowd, not Cox.

Cox was the second best contested mark in the comp in 2018. He equaled the record for most contested marks in a preliminary final. He has played around 120 games which places him in the top 15 % of players who have ever played the game. Those are stats which count. Contested marks are gold in our game. Games played is another stat which tells us about a player's value. Not bad for a gangly yank who had never heard of the game a few years ago. The worst mark in the comp? What an embarrassingly silly comment.

He is a premiership player who featured in one of the most iconic moments in our illustrious club's history. That centre bounce after Cameron put the Lions in front with five minutes remaining in the grand final saw Coxy get the vital tap which set the Degoey goal up. He won all of the final seven ruck contests with the Big O in the last ten minutes of that Grannie. Maybe Freddie would have done better.. How quickly we forget and how bitter we become even after another miraculous win by an undermanned team.
Dom. I love your defence of Cox. However the poster highlighted an issue in yesterdays game, yet you used an example from 2018 and last years GF to defend him. Hardly relevant

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% agree.
Don’t think the club was happy to accept him back after he just walked out.

Despite the fact I think he’s become very good and serviceable. I understand the clubs view.
Yeah, he "retired" just after the cutoff date for the PSP, so we ended up one short on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back