Autopsy Richmond v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

I cast my mind back to Timmy G telling a story about him fiachi and someone else talking about how Jack filled them with confidence and they all came up with the " he told me I was the best "back pocket" etc that he had ever seen...

And then I think about the stories to a man from Fos's warriors about how he wouldn't ask you to do anything he wouldn't and how they would run through a wall if Fos asked them too.

And them I think about our current coaching group and I rock back and forward slowly in the corner....

I did a bit of umpiring myself and I know how hard a game it is to umpire. So I’m usually philosophical about that aspect of the game. But last night…..FMD!

For most of the night, Dixon had two hanging off of him. Then Gibcus is barely touched down the other end- free kick and goal. SPP falls to the ground with the ball and it’s interpreted as diving on it. Almost identical thing in front of our goals….ball up. We we’re on the receiving end of some very startling and costly inconsistencies. Someone with more time than me could put together a startling video that exposes how two faced the umpiring was.

We lost the game because we spent most of the game with no forward structure and when we did have one, our forward entries were poor. But a game umpired like that, that has almost every neutral noticing the favouritism shown, is a real concern for the game. Either the game is now too difficult to umpire or the the AFL has an integrity issue it needs to address quickly.

Round 6, 2013 (Alan Richardson)

But point still stands.

I have much more faith in Lauren Arnell than Ken Hinkley.
Pretty sure that was the 38-15 game against North Melbourne.

I absolutely love Robbie and he deserves a send off. But he looks completely done and sad seeing that tonight. Sadly he’s not going to play in a Port premiership and I hate Ken for that. But the fact is though he’s being paid to play football for Port Adelaide. If he’s not up for it and he can’t play against these gun defenders, then why play him?
If Robbie doesn’t get Grimes then he goes somewhere else. Marshall, probably. Reckon Marshall has the game he does if he’s got Grimes for company rather than Gibcus? Not a chance. He was the only reason we were in the game at all. You don’t just rip champion players out of the side, clearly Robbie still has the ability to turn a game. He’s done it multiple times already this season FFS. Everyone else walks taller with him out there. It’s better for the development of our younger players to have him out there as a leader, than it is to simply kick him to the curb and send another younger player out there in his place.

Finlayson was terrific last night for a role that he was dumped into.
At worst he was narrowly beaten, and at best he broke even.
The ruck situation wasnt really the issue for me in the loss (albeit not playing one is dopey). As usual it was a combination of poor form of forwards/ poor delivery to forwards/ 3-on-1s in the forward line.
Farrell flies under the radar a bit, and that's another problem in the forward line - sporadic, brilliant, cameo appearances from guys like Farrell, without continuity. Marshall can be a bit that way too.
Dropping Hayes & playing Finlayson in ruck ended up being a really good call IMO. Finlayson broke even in the ruck, getting some really good taps to advantage as well. He also played like an extra mid. The really big issue for mine, was replacing Hayes with a half-back flanker in Jones, who he then promptly played as a forward! This meant two of our talls in Finlayson & Charlie are taken out of attack & used in ruck, leaving Marshall as the lone tall forward. All of this against a side fielding TWO recognized ruckmen, one of which was then used by Hardwick to quell our only effective forward in Marshall in the second half, while the other took defensive marks all over the ground!

Honestly, I have no words!!!

Last edited:
We lost to the unps ? No we lost in the ruck because ken decided to go in without a ruckman
Finlayson was far more effective than any other ruckman on the field…. We won the clearances…… the contested ball….. Finlayson also managed more metres gained than both Richmond’s ruckman combined…… and he also managed to hit the scoreboard.
Our disposal , particularly in the first quarter and the first 10 minutes of the second was terrible and some decisions made by players on the field were bad. This is not coaching……. and yes the Umpires directly impacted the result.

I remember thinking Max Gawn was a massive spud, and then one day in a preseason match he tore us a new one and hasn't looked back since.
Preseason game at Elizabeth oval, where even though it was a trial match it could be described as Gawn's break out game, he made the rock lobster look like some unco bloke who had been pulled from the crowd to make up the numbers, and as you say he hasn't looked back since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The absence of Sinn, Bergman, Duursma, Georgiades, Mead and even Williams from our AFL team - be it from injury, form, ability, selection failings - is a big part of our current problem.
yep we need those guys banging down the door. two pretty important draft classes for our future we invested in pretty heavily.. haven't lost faith in them yet, i would like them all to hang around and get a go at it under a new regime. the failure to develop a williams so far has been a bit baffling, it falls on him also but there just seems to be no ability to get the best out of these talented kids who struggle fitness wise.

primus was absolutely shat on in his 2 years as HC, but i am certain he would be blooding these kids right now for the betterment of the club and our future. put his career on the line to get games into most of the kids back then. and we all thought he had agendas against the cornes', rodan, salopek, surjan etc..

Charlie is a lousy tap ruck and does little else.
Did You actually watch the game ??? …………… Charlie has led the league in the last 2 years in contested marks…… he is 2 games back after ankle surgery . Last night - Richmond key forwards Riewoldt had 12 possessions, 4 marks and 1 goal. Balta had 11 possessions , 2 marks and 1 goal. Dixon 10 possessions, 4 marks (all contested, and should have been 5) 9 hit outs and 1 goal. So obviously you’ve never played as a key forward (I have) and have little understanding of what is required. Our disposal into the forward line was poor too many times and that doesn’t help….. and that is on the players.

That free kick against Burton that resulted in the goal that got Richmond the lead really hurt us. Terrible decision
That was an absolute disgrace, to award a free at that time, 5 metres out…….. when after numerous replays “the expert commentators“ couldn’t find the infringement…… and it puts a team back in front and changes the direction of the game. 🤬🤬🤬

Finlayson was far more effective than any other ruckman on the field…. We won the clearances…… the contested ball….. Finlayson also managed more metres gained than both Richmond’s ruckman combined…… and he also managed to hit the scoreboard.
Our disposal , particularly in the first quarter and the first 10 minutes of the second was terrible and some decisions made by players on the field were bad. This is not coaching……. and yes the Umpires directly impacted the result.

Finlayson was excellent. Unfortunately being excellent in the ruck didn't do squat for our forward line, which is where he was really needed.

And then I think about the stories to a man from Fos's warriors about how he wouldn't ask you to do anything he wouldn't and how they would run through a wall if Fos asked them too.
Contrast with Hinkley: "Before you run through it you need to know that it's a tough brick wall and someone's got to come off second best."

An assistant coach who seems always to come out squeaky clean is Montgomery and I wonder why? As midfield coach I’m sure that he would have had some input into the Hayes decision and remember when he was the backline coach, Dougal was asked to find another club when Montgomery wanted him out of ”his” backline. Just putting it out there!

Last edited:
I remember thinking Max Gawn was a massive spud, and then one day in a preseason match he tore us a new one and hasn't looked back since.

Was it that game at Elizabeth? I remember him being huge that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back