RDFNL 2021 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Why logistically does it make sense for Sunbury, given the rest of the Sunbury based clubs are based in the EDFL?
or for Bacchus Marsh given a decent % of their juniors go to school in Ballarat?
The conversation seems to come from a position of wishing to reinforce the RDFNL which is admirable but it does need to be a workable solution which the proposed isn't as many of the clubs noted won't entertain the notion.
Rather than a solution that is effectively robbing Peter to pay Paul, a larger overall restructuring may be in order involving clubs from the RDFL, BallFNL, BenFNL, MCDNL & CHFL which could maintain the viability of all clubs.

Sunbury and Gisborne have always had a great rivalry, all of the teams became to big, to continue in the Riddell, my opinion is their Is a greater traditional rivalry between all the former Riddell teams. Wouldn't it be better for all Sunbury teams to be in the same league. At the moment all the teams that left are outsiders within their respective league's now, all decisions are based on Bendigo, Ballarat interests, in the Riddell Sunbury, Gisborne, Melton's, Bacchus Marsh become the powerbrokers in a league.

Btw I don't think it will happen, but if you were restructuring it would make sense, but it would significantly weaken the Bendigo and Ballarat league's, which would only have their town teams.

Sunbury and Gisborne have always had a great rivalry, all of the teams became to big, to continue in the Riddell, my opinion is their Is a greater traditional rivalry between all the former Riddell teams. Wouldn't it be better for all Sunbury teams to be in the same league. At the moment all the teams that left are outsiders within their respective league's now, all decisions are based on Bendigo, Ballarat interests, in the Riddell Sunbury, Gisborne, Melton's, Bacchus Marsh become the powerbrokers in a league.

Btw I don't think it will happen, but if you were restructuring it would make sense, but it would significantly weaken the Bendigo and Ballarat league's, which would only have their town teams.
Which as I've highlighted, would mean joining the EDFL.
The status quo has shifted a little within Ballarat at least which is why Melton Sth and Sunbury, in particular, are no longer entertaining the idea of a move.
Again, the argument being made is purely seeking to bolster the RDFNL which doesn't take into account that:
1) the clubs you've noted aren't interested
2) it would decimate other comps with no real explanation as to why, beyond the overall notion that it'd be good for the RDFNL.

Last edited:
I’d can 100% confirm my boys would have absolutely no intentions of joining the RDFL, the standard is getting poorer each year and a selling point for us when it comes to recruitment especially for top end talent from Melbourne is that you will be playing a high standard of football.

Also speaking to a few mates at Kyneton, they wouldn’t even look at the option either. 95% of their local list want to improve their footy. And going to the RDFL would be a massive step back.

I think the best option is a couple of these RDFL clubs merge and look to move to a Ballarat or Bendigo league, none currently would get within 250 points of any of the top 5 sides in either of those leagues.

Others can go to Maryborough Castlemaine league whilst Wallen will join the NFL and certainly hold their own
Which as I've highlighted, would mean joining the EDFL.
The status quo has shifted a little within Ballarat at least which is why Melton Sth and Sunbury, in particular, are no longer entertaining the idea of a move.
Again, the argument being made is purely seeking to bolster the RDFNL which doesn't take into account that:
1) the clubs you've noted aren't interested
2) it would decimate other comps with no real explanation as to why, beyond the overall notion that it'd be good for the RDFNL.

I’d can 100% confirm my boys would have absolutely no intentions of joining the RDFL, the standard is getting poorer each year and a selling point for us when it comes to recruitment especially for top end talent from Melbourne is that you will be playing a high standard of football.

Also speaking to a few mates at Kyneton, they wouldn’t even look at the option either. 95% of their local list want to improve their footy. And going to the RDFL would be a massive step back.

I think the best option is a couple of these RDFL clubs merge and look to move to a Ballarat or Bendigo league, none currently would get within 250 points of any of the top 5 sides in either of those leagues.

Others can go to Maryborough Castlemaine league whilst Wallen will join the NFL and certainly hold their own

well good for you….way to s**t can so many good clubs and people. Footy is a game for everyone and if your blokes think they are too good then fine go off somewhere and prove it but it doesn’t mean that great leagues like the Riddel league have to die.

s**t attitude

Can I ask who's club you refer to when your talk on behalf of their behalf?

I'll use kyneton as your example, becuase you bought them up.

If you were an emerging player at Kyneton wanting to grow your game, playing in the BFL is a great opportunity.
Playing against all those top BFL clubs week in week out, will make you become a good player.

So I'm just asking, if this same player, played for kyneton in the proposed RDFNL, with the clubs I mentioned (all hypertetical of course) how would he not improve, playing against, Sunbury, baccus, Darley, Wallan, Diggers, Gisborne, Craigieburn etc.

On SM-T500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why logistically does it make sense for Sunbury, given the rest of the Sunbury based clubs are based in the EDFL?
or for Bacchus Marsh given a decent % of their juniors go to school in Ballarat?
The conversation seems to come from a position of wishing to reinforce the RDFNL which is admirable but it does need to be a workable solution which the proposed isn't as many of the clubs noted won't entertain the notion.
Rather than a solution that is effectively robbing Peter to pay Paul, a larger overall restructuring may be in order involving clubs from the RDFL, BallFNL, BenFNL, MCDNL & CHFL which could maintain the viability of all clubs.
I would think, Sunbury is probably the biggest club in the region, and it has been said for many years, that becuase our regions clubs are divided into 4 to 5 leagues, we never really know who the best club is, becuase they dont play each other.

I dont think anyone from Sunbury would care too much about logistics if they are currently travelling to Ballarat every 2nd week, compared to travelling as far as kyneton.

In regards to the other Sunbury clubs, it would be on them to want to come back, im sure they would if this happened and the bigger clubs came back.

Do many of these school kids go to school on a Saturday? If they do then I understand your point of going to school in Ballarat, but school has no issue as to where they play football. I went to school in essendon, didn't play my footy in the efdl.

I understand the impact it would mainly have on the Ballarat FNL, loosing 5 senior clubs. Baccus & Darley are the 2 who are caught in limbo due to their location, but the 2 Meltons and Sunbury could easily break away.

I'm not all over the Ballarat region, but is there no clubs or new clubs that could fill the spots of those clubs if they left?

And regards to Bendigo, i dont think the BFNL, would crumble for not having Gisborne or Kyneton in their league, they would find a new club/s very easy i would think with the growth of Bendigo happen atm.

I would think, Sunbury is probably the biggest club in the region, and it has been said for many years, that becuase our regions clubs are divided into 4 to 5 leagues, we never really know who the best club is, becuase they dont play each other.

I dont think anyone from Sunbury would care too much about logistics if they are currently travelling to Ballarat every 2nd week, compared to travelling as far as kyneton.

In regards to the other Sunbury clubs, it would be on them to want to come back, im sure they would if this happened and the bigger clubs came back.

Do many of these school kids go to school on a Saturday? If they do then I understand your point of going to school in Ballarat, but school has no issue as to where they play football. I went to school in essendon, didn't play my footy in the efdl.

I understand the impact it would mainly have on the Ballarat FNL, loosing 5 senior clubs. Baccus & Darley are the 2 who are caught in limbo due to their location, but the 2 Meltons and Sunbury could easily break away.

I'm not all over the Ballarat region, but is there no clubs or new clubs that could fill the spots of those clubs if they left?

And regards to Bendigo, i dont think the BFNL, would crumble for not having Gisborne or Kyneton in their league, they would find a new club/s very easy i would think with the growth of Bendigo happen atm.

Rather than wilfully avoiding the key point to all of this - that the clubs have to want to be there, perhaps outline how you hope to have this all play out?
All you've outlined is that you would like it to happen therefore it should.
The level of reasoning on display is akin to GVFL fans being unhappy with the standard of their comp and coming up with a plan to absorb strong clubs from Bendigo or O&M with no explanation as to why or how it should happen - I get it, you want a strong RDFL but it has to make sense.

As for the schooling, many board, some of whom do get picked up on a Saturday. Most would like to play with or against their mates rather than driving an hour the other direction to play with people that they have less/no connection with - pretty straight forward, I'd have thought.

Rather than wilfully avoiding the key point to all of this - that the clubs have to want to be there, perhaps outline how you hope to have this all play out?
All you've outlined is that you would like it to happen therefore it should.
The level of reasoning on display is akin to GVFL fans being unhappy with the standard of their comp and coming up with a plan to absorb strong clubs from Bendigo or O&M with no explanation as to why or how it should happen - I get it, you want a strong RDFL but it has to make sense.

As for the schooling, many board, some of whom do get picked up on a Saturday. Most would like to play with or against their mates rather than driving an hour the other direction to play with people that they have less/no connection with - pretty straight forward, I'd have thought.
I think that's the point a lot of the rupo, Sunbury clubs, Kyenton, Gisborne all go to school together hence the rivalry is there. Then you add in the fact that Darley and Bacchus play cricket in the Gisborne cricket and it's 20 minutes from Darley to Gisborne, you can see why a league between Sunbury teams, Darley, Bacchus, Melton's, Gisborne, and Kyneton would appeal. They're all located close geographically, they have rivalry that's long and established, and it would have the ability to be a two tiered comp. You have Romsey growing fast as well in population that could end up shifting leagues

I don't think anyone here is disputing that it's no more than a pipedream, as all those clubs would need to agree, and I don't think it's a simple let's make the Riddell better convo, I think there's always conjecture amongst the clubs in question that are in such close proximity over bragging rights and who is the best, take the powerful Gisborne sides that won three in a row, would they have beaten Sunbury, none of the rivalries would be manufactured, but it would impact Bendigo and Ballarat for sure

I think that's the point a lot of the rupo, Sunbury clubs, Kyenton, Gisborne all go to school together hence the rivalry is there. Then you add in the fact that Darley and Bacchus play cricket in the Gisborne cricket and it's 20 minutes from Darley to Gisborne, you can see why a league between Sunbury teams, Darley, Bacchus, Melton's, Gisborne, and Kyneton would appeal. They're all located close geographically, they have rivalry that's long and established, and it would have the ability to be a two tiered comp. You have Romsey growing fast as well in population that could end up shifting leagues

I don't think anyone here is disputing that it's no more than a pipedream, as all those clubs would need to agree, and I don't think it's a simple let's make the Riddell better convo, I think there's always conjecture amongst the clubs in question that are in such close proximity over bragging rights and who is the best, take the powerful Gisborne sides that won three in a row, would they have beaten Sunbury, none of the rivalries would be manufactured, but it would impact Bendigo and Ballarat for sure
As I keep saying though, it makes no sense that they do.. particularly given most of them already play against eachother & that Gisborne has been approached to join Sunbury etc in the Ballarat comp & have declined as they like the Bendigo league & the rivalries they've developed there.
Take a step back & most would find that the proposal is completely illogical.
The clubs don't want it, AFLVic doesn't want it.. the only ones advocating for it seem hellbent on overlooking the reality due to the romanticism of the past.

Really good discussion. I'd hope the league is looking at the huge developments happening in Beveridge, even though it's close to Wallan, Donnybrook and Mickleham.

Some little things for me.

Check out the presentation by Woodend last night on their FB page. Bloody awesome. I do understand not every club has a bloke like Chris to front nights like that, but it really was class stuff.

Social media is such a huge component of local footy these days and how you use it is can be a huge tool to promote your league and more importantly your club. Club FB pages are very, very good, but lag behind a bit on twitter. Without wanting to step on people's toes, I would urge Wallan to open up the clubs FB page to all the public.

How about a weekly podcast? Doesn't have to be a long one, maybe 20 to 30 minutes. All clubs make sure you get some notes on to the club page in the weekly record to promote yourselves and what's happening at your club.

While appreciating the weekly show put together by the league, 4 or 5 minutes simply doesn't do the comp justice. That said, the leagues FB page and website have improved a heap over the last 6 years and the presentation night was good. Awesome getting up match replays.

I believe the league can attract quality players and we do indeed have plenty. Just have to keep on plugging away and as Melbourne moves closer to country areas, that will happen even more.

Sadly though, my time is just about done in the Riddell league as it would soon become obvious as my discussion becomes less and less in this thread. I've really enjoyed my time in this league and will leave with some great memories. Loved game day up in Macedon which for me is the most picturesque venue in the league if not the best I've been to in the last 20 years. There isn't one club in the league which made you feel unwelcome or not want to go to for a game.

Best footy memories: The win on a soaking wet day up in Romsey. Best wet weather footy I've seen for a long time. The 2019 run to the GF. Didn't end well, but the footy the guys played on the way was something else. The Interleague game at Romsey which went to extra time. As good a game as you could hope to see and the win in Riddell after the tragic passing of Barney Fitzgerald. Meeting two or three of the posters from this forum.

As we've seen in the last 2 years, nothing is guaranteed and a footy season can be wiped out in a matter of moments. 2020 and 2021 were a testament to that. If I can get to 1 game in 2022 I hope it's the 2022 RDFNL GF and hopefully, that's a Wallan win that planning for started way back at the end of the 2015 season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eastern clubs only travel to Ballarat 3/4 times a year in the home and away season. One of the great things about playing up there is the great standard of the grounds. No bog heaps in Ballarat any more.

Trent you are spot on!!!!

Good to see someone here understand what i was saying, i never once said it would happen, just floated the idea due to geographical location and former clubs in our league for past rivalries.

It would make every game exciting and would bring in alot of money for the clubs via food and drink and gate takings.

Thats all I was getting out, I know the logistics of getting all clubs on board wouldn't happen, but was wondering what peoples thoughts were IF it did happen.

I know it would take a lot of clubs from the Ballarat league, but a number of those junior clubs are already in the rdfnl. Not too sure on darley and baccus.

Retention rate of young players would be alot higher for those clubs try league clubs, I know first hand that after a season or so of playing 18/19s kids from kyneton, Gisborne, Sunbury, fall away or play in comparison with their mates that are closer. Woodend and Macedon get players from Gisborne Keyneton all the time and Sunbury Roos would get Sunbury lion players.

It would keep them playing at their club as you wouldn't need to be in Bendigo at 8.30am Saturday morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back