RDFNL 2020 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In all honesty its more likely the RDFL clubs will seperate and join alternate leagues.

Woodend & Macendon join the MCDFNL
Centrals & Rockbank WRFL
Wallan back to NFL
Diggers Rest EDFL

Riddell, Lancefield & Romsey are the more difficult clubs to place geographically, but i suppose a trip to Castelmaine is no further than Rockbank..

My main concern is Diggers, Wallan and Rockbank moving to metro leagues. That would be the death of the league. Diggers is ripe for the picking for EDFL. I just don’t understand the huge attraction, maybe I’m old school but the country/community atmosphere of a country league is better than a small crowd EDFL high spending league. Much better standard tho.

The loss that hurt for me was Sunbury kangas, great RDFL who very much suited the league.

Maybe I’m a bit different but for me I never felt Rupo was the right fit for the RDFL. Private school club who recruit and have a great relationship with Salesian. They were always going to out grow the RDFL thru shear weight of players in juniors. How can small towns like Lancefield compete with Rupo. Would much rather them go into the BFL Personally as the EDFL is a ruthless league that needs much bigger spending than an RDFL salary to be a top premier team but at least they have a vision. It’s a better fit for them I think EDFL than RDFL and good luck to them. What happens to there strong Saturday netball teams?

Sorry for the long post, Just my own view on how we can get the league back up and going, by targeting the right clubs.

I have a bit of a blue print with some ideas, happy to be shot down, but just seeing what other people think.

LEAGUE CHANGES:

Go back to even numbered Jrs; 10, 12. 14, 16, as many divisions as you need, or at least div 1 and div 2

Seniors back to 18.5 / res / sen

The u18.5 was ansnis a great opportu ity for young kids to get involved in the senior club early age. So many friends of mine are now tradies and got theor jobs tjrough ppl at the senior club. U19.5, most kids are already started their apprenticeships and cant commit to all saturdays becuase of their age and bosses wantimg them to work weekends.

Netball to introduce a D division, which is to be viewed the same as the Club 18 competition (i may have the wrong name) but its the comp for those who want to play, but cant commit to training and every Saturday.

This would keep some older players and potentially some mums involved, keep it competetivive, but enjoyable.

Maybe like the Bendigo league, if numbers for netball call for it, create a A Res comp, to get more players in the comp and at clubs. Maybe filling too many teams might be too hard.
A grade
B grade
C grade
D grade
U18.5

Lower club fees. League is only as strong as the clubs, make the clubs strong, the league will follow suit. Which ultimately will attract other clubs.

Make the new league workers, do their job, find sponors formthe league.

No licensee for jumpers. This is such a pain in the ass. Why should we as clubs be told who to buy from, with no kickback to our club. We all know these licensee line the pockets of the league.

Why should a club, who can get a football jumper cheaper, due do to a network or player at a club be penalised and told not to go there. It should be a free choice for all clubs.

Smaller rdfnl logo to go under collar of all jumpers, allowing clubs to sell off prime jumper real estate. 2 sponors on the sides on the front, 2 sponors on the back, top and bottom.

New sublimated shorts (i would say stick with buffalo sports) allowing BS to keep their logo on one leg, and allowing the club to sell off more estate, on the front x 1 and potentially 2 on the back of the legs, or 1 lucky business all 3 spots.
Rdfnl logo on the side leg.

Socks keep the same.

These are just some of the ideas i had.

CLUBS TO TARGET:

KYNETON FNC:
- opportunity for KFNC to become a better winning culture
- much better home ground attendances than what they woukd have currently, which would increase overall takings for the year. Why would a oppo supporter travel over an hour to watch their team, there would be 5 clubs within 30 mins.
- Make KFNC the GF venue, it has the parking, great grandstand, netball court in as good condition as sunbury, oval opposite for additional parking. Keep it within the league. Good country feel.
- KFNC will be more competetive, which will allow them to attract players from melb, with closer away games. Melb to rockbank is a lot more enticimg than melb to Strathfieldsaye
- need to realise they haven't been good for a long time, this will make more of a community club, more local rivalries.
- more local players will play, knowing they can travel 30 mins for a game.
- Retention of younger players, and the better chance of keeping them as they dont have to travel so far for a game and get up so early (u18.5)
- good junior numbers into rdfnl jr comp, better parents as its closer than BJFNL

Melton South FNC:
- same boat as KFNC, low team in good league, doesnt attract wins or players
- creates a melton hub, with rockbank and centrals
- not as far to travel, would allow for better recruiting and more supporters followimg them to each game
- better attendances for gome and away games
- Jr & Sr all aligned in same league
- will be more competitive in RDFNL

TRENTHAM FNC:
- good geographical location to other RDFNL clubs
- less travel for away games
- increased takings with more rivalry clubs (woodend, kyneton macedon etc)
- good established football and netball teams, will be competitive.
- well run club, would benefit from recruiting players to not have to travel as far.

GISBORNE GIANTS:
- Same model as Macedon did years ago, start with u18s, build up, get senior team and create a local club for players to have another option living in gisborne.
- massive growth area, more people, more cjance of getting a team up

Will take time for this, but if done right, ckukd be a really good club in future years

I just thoight id put my thoughts in, seens how its all a bit negitive atm, with the loss of rupo.

The league has made mistakes, throughnthe guidgance of goldfields, but thismcould create the chance for otjer teama in the region to want to come back to our old daya, it may not happen, but of we built it, theyll co,e. Just li,e the EDFL, they built it, and cluns want it.

No reason why we cant do the same amd maybe one day get the 2 divisions back.

Will take time, but we may as well aim high.

Better to have tried and fail, than to have not tried at all...

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could Lancefield join AFL Outer East???
Average distance travelled
Lancefield vs OE - 98kms biggest trip one way 145kms
Lancefield vs Heathcote - 115kms biggest trip one way 180kms
Lancefield vs Central Highlands - 110kms biggest trip one way 160kms
your distances may be correct but travel times would not favour the OE.
lots of mountains to travel over from Lancefield to get to many of those grounds.

Sorry for the long post, Just my own view on how we can get the league back up and going, by targeting the right clubs.

I have a bit of a blue print with some ideas, happy to be shot down, but just seeing what other people think.

LEAGUE CHANGES:

Go back to even numbered Jrs; 10, 12. 14, 16, as many divisions as you need, or at least div 1 and div 2

Seniors back to 18.5 / res / sen

The u18.5 was ansnis a great opportu ity for young kids to get involved in the senior club early age. So many friends of mine are now tradies and got theor jobs tjrough ppl at the senior club. U19.5, most kids are already started their apprenticeships and cant commit to all saturdays becuase of their age and bosses wantimg them to work weekends.

Netball to introduce a D division, which is to be viewed the same as the Club 18 competition (i may have the wrong name) but its the comp for those who want to play, but cant commit to training and every Saturday.

This would keep some older players and potentially some mums involved, keep it competetivive, but enjoyable.

Maybe like the Bendigo league, if numbers for netball call for it, create a A Res comp, to get more players in the comp and at clubs. Maybe filling too many teams might be too hard.
A grade
B grade
C grade
D grade
U18.5

Lower club fees. League is only as strong as the clubs, make the clubs strong, the league will follow suit. Which ultimately will attract other clubs.

Make the new league workers, do their job, find sponors formthe league.

No licensee for jumpers. This is such a pain in the ass. Why should we as clubs be told who to buy from, with no kickback to our club. We all know these licensee line the pockets of the league.

Why should a club, who can get a football jumper cheaper, due do to a network or player at a club be penalised and told not to go there. It should be a free choice for all clubs.

Smaller rdfnl logo to go under collar of all jumpers, allowing clubs to sell off prime jumper real estate. 2 sponors on the sides on the front, 2 sponors on the back, top and bottom.

New sublimated shorts (i would say stick with buffalo sports) allowing BS to keep their logo on one leg, and allowing the club to sell off more estate, on the front x 1 and potentially 2 on the back of the legs, or 1 lucky business all 3 spots.
Rdfnl logo on the side leg.

Socks keep the same.

These are just some of the ideas i had.

CLUBS TO TARGET:

KYNETON FNC:
- opportunity for KFNC to become a better winning culture
- much better home ground attendances than what they woukd have currently, which would increase overall takings for the year. Why would a oppo supporter travel over an hour to watch their team, there would be 5 clubs within 30 mins.
- Make KFNC the GF venue, it has the parking, great grandstand, netball court in as good condition as sunbury, oval opposite for additional parking. Keep it within the league. Good country feel.
- KFNC will be more competetive, which will allow them to attract players from melb, with closer away games. Melb to rockbank is a lot more enticimg than melb to Strathfieldsaye
- need to realise they haven't been good for a long time, this will make more of a community club, more local rivalries.
- more local players will play, knowing they can travel 30 mins for a game.
- Retention of younger players, and the better chance of keeping them as they dont have to travel so far for a game and get up so early (u18.5)
- good junior numbers into rdfnl jr comp, better parents as its closer than BJFNL

Melton South FNC:
- same boat as KFNC, low team in good league, doesnt attract wins or players
- creates a melton hub, with rockbank and centrals
- not as far to travel, would allow for better recruiting and more supporters followimg them to each game
- better attendances for gome and away games
- Jr & Sr all aligned in same league
- will be more competitive in RDFNL

TRENTHAM FNC:
- good geographical location to other RDFNL clubs
- less travel for away games
- increased takings with more rivalry clubs (woodend, kyneton macedon etc)
- good established football and netball teams, will be competitive.
- well run club, would benefit from recruiting players to not have to travel as far.

GISBORNE GIANTS:
- Same model as Macedon did years ago, start with u18s, build up, get senior team and create a local club for players to have another option living in gisborne.
- massive growth area, more people, more cjance of getting a team up

Will take time for this, but if done right, ckukd be a really good club in future years

I just thoight id put my thoughts in, seens how its all a bit negitive atm, with the loss of rupo.

The league has made mistakes, throughnthe guidgance of goldfields, but thismcould create the chance for otjer teama in the region to want to come back to our old daya, it may not happen, but of we built it, theyll co,e. Just li,e the EDFL, they built it, and cluns want it.

No reason why we cant do the same amd maybe one day get the 2 divisions back.

Will take time, but we may as well aim high.

Better to have tried and fail, than to have not tried at all...

Interesting take on Kyneton..they are definitely a good fit for the RDFNL but they also traditional Bendigo league club.

They have certainly had struggles in the recent past but also don’t forget have also been a finals side in recent years also

Interesting take on Kyneton..they are definitely a good fit for the RDFNL but they also traditional Bendigo league club.

They have certainly had struggles in the recent past but also don’t forget have also been a finals side in recent years also

Even at there weakest stage when they had to fold for a year and they never wanted to reform and go to the RDFL. They are in debt again now tho. Always been a sleeping giant for myn in the Bendigo footy league if they could get there stuff together. Juniors are becoming a lot better there for what I hear. Amazing supporter base, would be worth chasing for sure but I don’t think they would go. Great venue for grand final and would love to see it go back to lancefield aswell

Sunbury Kangaroos were also a tradional RDFNL club at 1 stage and now they aren't, we need to sell the farm to KFNC to show them, end of the day, community is what matters, and that playing in a more local competition, will help improve the club.

Yes KFNC were finalists a few years ago, but they are like a yo-yo, up and down.

There was no way, im my own opinion, that when they folded for that year, they would consider the switch to RDFNL, but now they have established themselves, with good juniors and a larger senior playing group, why wouldn't the committee consider the switch.

They have good lights I am pretty sure, imagine a couple of night games against local teams, Woodend, Macedon, Riddell etc. How much of a buzz around town would that create. They would triple their yearly takings easily.

Just becuase you are part of a better standard league, doesnt mean you are at that standard.

Our league, from the outside, with the loss of some clubs, isn't in a great light atm, but with 1 big-ball move, could inject some real excitement back into the league if we could land a big fish and entice KFNC to our comp. I thinkmif we land them, the other 2 will look at coming over as well. It entices them i think to follow suit.

Having a look at distance. The average time to get to bendigo is around 45-55 minutes, and that is done every 2nd week.
Rockbank and Melton (hopefully Melton South) would be their furtherest away game, which is roughly the same time.

And if they are lucky, may only have to do that once maybe twice a season, not every 2nd week.

Surely parents, players and supporters would be happier travelling less every 2nd week?

If KFNC think they could come into the league amd dominate it, like some have said to me (supporters and some players) maybe time to put your money where your mouth is...

There are alot of smart people out here, and we would be iggnorant to think, that the managers of our league wouldn't be reading what is said on here, so does anyone else have any other ideas on how we could bolster our league.

Sunbury Kangaroos were also a tradional RDFNL club at 1 stage and now they aren't, we need to sell the farm to KFNC to show them, end of the day, community is what matters, and that playing in a more local competition, will help improve the club.

Yes KFNC were finalists a few years ago, but they are like a yo-yo, up and down.

There was no way, im my own opinion, that when they folded for that year, they would consider the switch to RDFNL, but now they have established themselves, with good juniors and a larger senior playing group, why wouldn't the committee consider the switch.

They have good lights I am pretty sure, imagine a couple of night games against local teams, Woodend, Macedon, Riddell etc. How much of a buzz around town would that create. They would triple their yearly takings easily.

Just becuase you are part of a better standard league, doesnt mean you are at that standard.

Our league, from the outside, with the loss of some clubs, isn't in a great light atm, but with 1 big-ball move, could inject some real excitement back into the league if we could land a big fish and entice KFNC to our comp. I thinkmif we land them, the other 2 will look at coming over as well. It entices them i think to follow suit.

Having a look at distance. The average time to get to bendigo is around 45-55 minutes, and that is done every 2nd week.
Rockbank and Melton (hopefully Melton South) would be their furtherest away game, which is roughly the same time.

And if they are lucky, may only have to do that once maybe twice a season, not every 2nd week.

Surely parents, players and supporters would be happier travelling less every 2nd week?

If KFNC think they could come into the league amd dominate it, like some have said to me (supporters and some players) maybe time to put your money where your mouth is...

There are alot of smart people out here, and we would be iggnorant to think, that the managers of our league wouldn't be reading what is said on here, so does anyone else have any other ideas on how we could bolster our league.

Agree with what you said mate. Would you allow Kyneton to wear tigers jumpers as lancefield wear them too.

Agree Bluejet. Not judging Kilmore, Kangaroos, Broadford or Rupo, I am sure they all had there specific reasons, but this is a concern and anyone that says it is not is kidding themselves. 4 clubs in 4 years, 3 that impact the junior structure. Externally what is the attraction now for players to come into the league to many of the clubs, internally, do we think by losing another yearly premiership contender that this helps the league. 9 Clubs in a comp puts the league in a very vulnerable position. Forget what you think of any of these clubs personally, where is the league heading. The EDFL a few years back outlined there plan for a 3 division comp with number of teams, they have achieved it. In achieving it they also now have a solid footprint in RDFL heartland with now no Sunbury Club in the RDFL and now 4 clubs in Sunbury providing a viable alternative for young players or established players wanting to play in a very competitive competition.

Pretty weird to think there was a time that Rolling Meadows were groomed to be an rdfl club and even had an U18 side in preparation and now there isn’t one Sunbury side in the league less than ten years later.

How does the EDFL netball structure work? Rupo has a very successful group so will be interesting to see how that plays out in a new setting.

I know it will never happen but how good would it be if all former clubs were back in the league.

Div 1
Craigieburn
Darley
Diggers Rest
Gisborne
Melton
Sunbury
Sunbury Kangaroos
Romsey
Rupertswood
Wallan

Div 2
Broadford
Jacana
Kilmore
Lancefield
Melton Central
Melton South
Moomba Park
North Fawkner
Riddell
Trentham
Woodend/Hesket

It would be such a powerful league, you would have sides like Kyneton, Bacchus Marsh and East Sunbury begging to get in, not the other way around.

I think in todays game, a clash jumper could be arranged for the games against Lancefield, maybe both teams can arrange one, yes its another cost, but it also relates bwck to my first post, in allowing clubs the flexibility to find a company that can help them out, rather than being handcuffed and told who to buy from.

Im sure a company like buffalo sports or Icon (or any company for that matter) who are both ran by RDFNL locals would welcome the opporunity to help out the clubs.

Im sure a white version or a richmond reverse (2017 GF jumper) would be ok, they might just have to change the words for the winning club on that 1 day with whoever gets the Win to "White & Black" when they normally scream "yellow and black".

It'll make more Collingwood supporters happy, something we dont really need in our game

Good point, but ways around it
Agree with what you said mate. Would you allow Kyneton to wear tigers jumpers as lancefield wear them too.

I think in todays game, a clash jumper could be arranged for the games against Lancefield, maybe both teams can arrange one, yes its another cost, but it also relates bwck to my first post, in allowing clubs the flexibility to find a company that can help them out, rather than being handcuffed and told who to buy from.

Im sure a company like buffalo sports or Icon (or any company for that matter) who are both ran by RDFNL locals would welcome the opporunity to help out the clubs.

Im sure a white version or a richmond reverse (2017 GF jumper) would be ok, they might just have to change the words for the winning club on that 1 day with whoever gets the Win to "White & Black" when they normally scream "yellow and black".

It'll make more Collingwood supporters happy, something we dont really need in our game

My home club up at Lalbert has run with a Home jumper and an away strip for a number of years. Has not been a drama

My home club up at Lalbert has run with a Home jumper and an away strip for a number of years. Has not been a drama
Not hard these days, Kilmore has a reversable one for home and away games too, no different to what rep basketball clubs etc do.
And it is much much cheaper than printing two sets of jumpers.

Lol, Kyneton don't sing the yellow and black song so that won't be an issue

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think before considering any growth, the RDFL and it's remaining stakeholders/clubs need to 100% align in thoughts and value's and chart their own way going forward.
Yes the Goldfields thing was a concern from day dot, but what's done is done and the past can't be changed.

There are enough passionate, loyal, local footy folk within the RDFL boundary, who still (with the right approach and outlook) can see the comp not just remain, but be strong, viable (and relevant) again in no time.

Don't even entertain reasons as to why clubs have left, as sadly that was during a GoldFields watch, but one thing that will need to be agreed on though is unity on all fronts .... football, netball, juniors etc.

I know it's not always the way when money, ego and $100 Cups and Medals are on offer, but for the great of good now's the time to all get on the same level around the board table, appoint similar minded administrators and push on.

Good luck.

I think before considering any growth, the RDFL and it's remaining stakeholders/clubs need to 100% align in thoughts and value's and chart their own way going forward.
Yes the Goldfields thing was a concern from day dot, but what's done is done and the past can't be changed.

There are enough passionate, loyal, local footy folk within the RDFL boundary, who still (with the right approach and outlook) can see the comp not just remain, but be strong, viable (and relevant) again in no time.

Don't even entertain reasons as to why clubs have left, as sadly that was during a GoldFields watch, but one thing that will need to be agreed on though is unity on all fronts .... football, netball, juniors etc.

I know it's not always the way when money, ego and $100 Cups and Medals are on offer, but for the great of good now's the time to all get on the same level around the board table, appoint similar minded administrators and push on.

Good luck.

Surely you can not be serious... If 4 clubs have chosen to leave in the past 5 years surely it is in the best interest of the league to understand why and make sure that the existing clubs dont feel the same way. Completely pointless investing time and money trying to grow the league if 1 or 2 more clubs are feeling the same way and will look to leave in coming years making the competition completely unviable

Surely you can not be serious... If 4 clubs have chosen to leave in the past 5 years surely it is in the best interest of the league to understand why and make sure that the existing clubs dont feel the same way. Completely pointless investing time and money trying to grow the league if 1 or 2 more clubs are feeling the same way and will look to leave in coming years making the competition completely unviable
Serious only in that it must be now line in the sand one way or another ... who's in and who's out and plan a path forward.
What's happened was on a Goldfields watch, and many were like "dont let the door hit you on the way out" towards Kilmore and then Broadford especially.

The league may now return to the clubs having far more control, so united you all can create whatever it is you want.

And if it's not for you, that’s fine too

Last edited:
Serious only in that it must be now line in the sand one way or another ... who's in and who's out and plan a path forward.
What's happened was on a Goldfields watch, and many were like "dont let the door hit you on the way out" towards Kilmore and then Broadford especially.

The league may now return to the clubs having far more control, so united you all can create whatever it is you want.

And if it's not for you, that’s fine too

I think to blame it on AFL Goldfields is a tad short sighted.. This has been coming for a long time, well before AFL Goldfields existed.. It has far more to do with the changing demographic of outer suburban Melbourne and people in Sunbury no longer consider themselves 'country' and the appeal for these clubs of never having to travel more than 20 minutes to an away game in our time poor lives would be huge so the opportunity to align themselves with a professionally run league like EDFL would be massive. Additionally the opportunity for new sponsors from the EDFL region would increase and existing sponsors to market into that region would be huge.

Any word on if there is any changes coming for the coaching ranks at clubs for the coming 2021?

I think to blame it on AFL Goldfields is a tad short sighted.. This has been coming for a long time, well before AFL Goldfields existed.. It has far more to do with the changing demographic of outer suburban Melbourne and people in Sunbury no longer consider themselves 'country' and the appeal for these clubs of never having to travel more than 20 minutes to an away game in our time poor lives would be huge so the opportunity to align themselves with a professionally run league like EDFL would be massive. Additionally the opportunity for new sponsors from the EDFL region would increase and existing sponsors to market into that region would be huge.
Certainly don't blame Goldfields, but sitting in on conversations prior to Kilmore leaving I couldn't help but feel if it was more reflective of the actual RDFL clubs, then some outcomes may have been different.
As for all the other points ... no arguments, would just hate to see what was always a bloody good collective of footy folk continue to disband.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back