Autopsy Rd 6 vs Brisbane - Game discussion and changes for Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Bare minimum 6 players will be gone in the next two years, most on here want to get 5 picks in the draft so that's 8 picks absolute minimum, Arnot will be one of them.

Cheers!

What does "most people on here" have anything to do with how many picks we will take? FFS.. If our coach judges player talent like you (and I suspect he does) he'll be out the door long before Arnot is

oh yeah cheers!

6 over 2 years or 6 a year?

I'd have it something like this:
2014 out: Newy, Azza, Orren, King, Thomas (hopefully) and at least 1 of Helbig, O'Hanlon and Arnot with a probability of one of TV/Griff/Elton being gone (doubtful TV).
2015 out: Grigg, Knights, Foley, Petts, at least one of whoever is left of O'Hanlon/Helbig/Arnot and hopefully Hampson....

That's just on delistings.... 11 or 12 players in two years.... it's needed
Your delisting rookies. That doesn't give us the 3 mandatory picks in the draft.

Done a little exercise today.
Bear with me.
Note-this is not to put shit on Matt Arnot,he's played 6 games.
It's to put things into perspective.
Please note that a few touches here and there may be missed.
Ricky Petterd- Q1
- makes marking contest,brings ball to ground.
-takes intercept mark,goes in board to Miles who drops mark.
-burrows in hard to make contest,gets ball to our advantage inside 50.
-gathers hit out and kicks around body under pressure. Result-Lions goal.
-lays big tackle on wing. Ball up.
-applies tackle.Turnover tigers mark.
-Accepts from Ellis deep in defence. Long kick to Jack forced OOB.
-Accepts kick in, long kick to Jack centre wing contest
-spoils from behind deep in defence.
-rushed handball in tight after ball up.
5 disposals,2 Marks,2 Tackles

Matt Arnot- Q1

- picks up ball,tackled.
-Applies good pressure on kicker.
-Gets in front in marking contest,brings to ground.
- Applies pressure to kicker.
-Accepts short kick from Jack. Goals. Nice kick.
2 Disposals,1 mark,1 Goal.

Ricky Petterd -Q2
-Marks just fwd of centre, kicks long to contest.
-courageously backs back deep in defence wins ball on ground and handballs.Great play.
-gathers crumb,handballs snd gets it back,goes long to square,Bris contested mark.
-Great chase and pressure. Turnover.
-wins crumb and nice handball to running Foley.
-smashes into opponent causes turnover.
- Handball on wing.
-Marks and kicks long to contest.
8 Disposals,2 Marks.

Matt Arnot - Q2

-Takes mark and handballs off on wing.
-Shrugs tackle and excellent handball to running Ellis.
- snaps around body to contest forward.
-Gets involved in centre bounce contest,pushes ball in front of himself,then weak tackle and Brisbane ball.Good second effort ends in dead ball.
5 disposals, 2 Marks.

Ricky Petterd- Q3

- handballs and receives back, corralled - poor kick turnover.
-quick handball to teammate running past.
-Gives away 50 for running over mark.
-puts head over ball in pocket,wins free. Snaps goal.
-Marks on boundary. Looks for Jack. Spoiled.
- short handball to teammate in D50.
-marking contest from behind inside 50. Brisbane clear
Disposals-4. Tackles 1 Goals 1.
Matt Arnot- Q3

-Good intercept mark,handball finds teammate.
-Drops mark. Non committal going back inside 50. Didn't look good.
- Handballs over the top inside 50.
-Attacks opponent hard with ball in hand, spills OOB. Well done.
-Gives away free for in the back in D 50- lions miss.
-Lays Fantastic tackle.
-subbed off.
Disposals 1, Tackles 2.

Ricky Petterd- Q4

- Beaten in a 3 on 1.
-Fantastic tackle in F50. Ball up,tigers goal.
-quick handball back to Jackson in D50.
- poor handball under pressure.
- slips over gathering handball from Deledio,handballs Znd turns over.
-wins ball from ball uo, left foot finds Ellis. Horrid shot from Ellis.
-Marks kick in, goes long to square.
-Quick snap forward from ball up dribbles out of bounds .
-Quick snap from ball up goes high forward
Disposals 9, marks 2,tackles 2.

Wash up .
Ricky has a capacity to cover enormous ground and has a Fantastic work ethic.
He made a couple of really silly errors but I wouldn't say there was one catastrophic mistake.
He tends to go long to contests as we know but if you ask me at least he's playing within his limitations .
Looks for Jack at every opportunity. I don't mind that.
Arnot definitely is a cleaner footballer. No doubt.
He has a tendency to get busy when he's a chance to get a touch.Goes a bit missing otherwise.
Good sign was his apparent dirtyness on himself after he short armed one in the third quarter. Was hellbent on making up for it.Kudos.
Petterd has a knack of getting involved whether attacking or defending.
Ironically Arnot could take a lot from Petterd
Hopefully he gets another crack next week.
\

I'm generally a Petterd defender and he was good again today IMO, but Petterd is best up forward and was again today when he went up there, Arnot is best in the guts. Arnot, despite being brought in for Thomas, was basically playing Petterd's best position, whilst Petterd was often in the square at centre bounces, where Arnot should've been.

\

I'm generally a Petterd defender and he was good again today IMO, but Petterd is best up forward and was again today when he went up there, Arnot is best in the guts. Arnot, despite being brought in for Thomas, was basically playing Petterd's best position, whilst Petterd was often in the square at centre bounces, where Arnot should've been.
I agree. But Petterd is there due to our weakness there this season.

If people want to keep Arnott and want him to play midfield that means he will have to replace a player we use in the midfield rotations - WHO???
Cotch: Negative
Lids: Negative
Conca: Negative
Foley: maybe but he is a better player & if you'd have to live with him being successful like Whitey at a better club
Dusty: Negative
Vlas: Better player & will continue to demand more midfield time
Miles: Negative
Petterd: showed he can play forward, mid & back and from reports Arnott can only play midfield. Any wonder Hardwick is trying to make him more flexible. Sadly he doesn't look like a fwd and will get outmarked down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many picks do you think we will have and who gets delisted to acquire them?

I believe we have 10 players we could cut right now, but what I think and what the club will do is likely poles apart.

Off the top of my head

King
Newman
Helbig
O'Hanlon
A.Edwards
Knights
Trade one of Griffiths or Vickery
Batchelor(borderline)

off the rookie list
Stephenson need a project ruck to develop)
Darrou
Banfield
Williams

If people want to keep Arnott and want him to play midfield that means he will have to replace a player we use in the midfield rotations - WHO???
Foley: maybe but he is a better player & if you'd have to live with him being successful like Whitey at a better club
Petterd: showed he can play forward, mid & back and from reports Arnott can only play midfield. Any wonder Hardwick is trying to make him more flexible. Sadly he doesn't look like a fwd and will get outmarked down back.
Conca and lids are in terrible form and couldn't get a clearance to save themselves .

Positives:
  • Vickery playing a dominant game. 4 goals and dished off another.
  • Martin still running out games well.
  • Cotchin's been back to his best over the last 3 weeks.
  • Ivan having an influence around the ground. Take notes Hammer.
  • Edwards played a solid game.
Negatives:
  • The Richmond board saviour Matt Arnot picking up 8 touches in 3 quarters. Yet there are still people on this board that think the only reason he gets overlooked is because Dimma "plays favourites".
  • Bachar Houdini disappearing.
  • The game day thread. Ask yourself a serious question: if you can't even enjoy a win then why the **** are you watching? Yes it was ugly. Yes we didn't play our best. But if all you're going to do is bitch and moan then you might as well go do something else for the afternoon.
Bachar Houdini... Gold.
He really has gone MIA this year.

An interesting game , our reliance on Cotchin and Miles to win clearances is alarming . Arnott and O 'Hanlon were ok . Houli. , Lids and Conca have continued their well below average years .
Ellis , Cotchin , Rance and to a lesser extent Martin continued their good seasons .
Ivan's best game of the year , ditto Vickery .
Jackson's return was something to build on.
Jack was flogged , Grimes is going along nicely , Batch and Dea aren't superstars but collectively with the remainder on the back line are forming a nice combo and since both have played Chaplin hasn't been continuously destroyed in one on ones in the square.
There is a pulse but we have way to many who can't perform when things don't go there way .
Concerning points are that I think Lids and Conca are becoming 2nd teir players rather quickly and tbh not sure Conca will be anything but that if a player you would normally get with a second round pick .
Appears to be little consistency at VFL level so with standing injuries and no one else being ready foley for O'hanlon would be the only change .
We have a shit load just going at the moment which I suspect due to injury .

I believe we have 10 players we could cut right now, but what I think and what the club will do is likely poles apart.

Off the top of my head

King
Newman
Helbig
O'Hanlon
A.Edwards
Knights
Batchelor(borderline)

off the rookie list
Darrou
Banfield
Williams
That's seven, maybe eight picks. For a team that finishes where we will I think we will cut deeper than four and three over two years. IF you had to delist 10 or even eleven where does Arnot sit then? For me he's gone especially if we are going to go for a much needed quality midfielder with our first pick.

Off the top of my head

King
Newman
Helbig
O'Hanlon
A.Edwards
Knights
Batchelor(borderline)

off the rookie list
Darrou
Banfield
Williams
Good one, Rocky.
And then I'll watch as you pull a rabbit out of your hat (again) with the replacements.
download.jpg

That's seven, maybe eight picks. For a team that finishes where we will I think we will cut deeper than four and three over two years. IF you had to delist 10 or even eleven where does Arnot sit then? For me he's gone especially if we are going to go for a much needed quality midfielder with our first pick.

That was this year alone...

Didn't he replace a midfielder? Was Thomas slated to play as a small forward this week? It's called rotations for a reason. The more guys you have go through there the better your side will be.

Otherwise we should have played a forward so we weren't carrying a bloke.

Your probably right. Picked outside the first round. Not a Dimma favorite. The kid never had a chance.

Good one, Rocky.
And then I'll watch as you pull a rabbit out of your hat (again) with the replacements.
View attachment 66002

Comedian, love it..

Not hard to replace 4 players that need to retire (newy, King, Knights, Edwards) and a few fringe players who aren't up to it(Helbig, O'Hanlon)

remind me again how valuable these players have been this season Peter Hellier

Remove this Banner Ad

Back