Autopsy Rd 13 vs Fremantle - Game Discussion and changes for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

What a ******* waste of effort...
Coach will be able to point to the fight late - stiff ******* shit I say.
This loss is just as bad IMO as the last few.
Never had a chance....
'eh disagree, there was a lot to like from this game other than parts of the third quarter, it was more like a loss from last year which I'll certainly take if we're considering the way our guys are playing

Houli has some howlers but apart from a few Squibbs doesn't leave anything in the tank. Same with Petterd.

Miles a star, good time to bring him in. He'd have burnt out if he was rookied at the start of the season. Morris needs a spell to get his shoulder right and learn to play smarter football. Cotch, Martin, Foley, Vlas all solid.

Hampson and Chaplin are terrible. Can't wait for Astbury to come back in.

We need some better forward coaching, so many missed set shots over the past month, with the exception of the gws game.

Anthony Miles had 30 possesions and 10 clearances.

Our kicking for goal early in matches is killing us. It has to be a mental thing. We kick like crap until the game is gone and then when the pressure is off we learn how to slot them.

Last edited:

Went as expected.... we were beaten by a better team. Our effort was good most of the day.... the same cannot be said for our skills. JR set the scene with some poor kicking at goal early and it caught on as it does in teams lacking confidence.

One more tough week to get through with the possible premiers next week under lights on a Friday and then we'll start piling up soft end of season wins.

Outs: Hampson (out of the club), Ellis (get some touch back in the 2's - might be the kick in the bum he needs), A. Edwards (presents well but no help moving forward into next season), give Titch a go in the ressies (needs to put in a consistent 4 qtr performance)
Ins: Jackson (if fit), Conca (if fit), Griff (need a more mobile 2nd ruck/forward), Lloyd.

Not ins: Please not Thomas but I can see it happening, please not Grigg but I can see it happening

If it becomes Grigg in for Ellis, then I'd prefer Ellis to stay in....

Houli has some howlers but apart from a few Squibbs doesn't leave anything in the tank. Same with Petterd.

Miles a star, good time to bring him in. He'd have burnt out if he was rookied at the start of the season. Morris needs a spell to get his shoulder right and learn to play smarter football. Cotch, Martin, Foley, Vlas all solid.

Hampson and Chaplin are terrible. Can't wait for Astbury to come back in.

We need some better forward coaching, so many missed set shots over the past month, with the exception of the gws game.

Chaplin?? Had nearly his best game for the year today IMO

Bravo Miles, super second game.

Also Newy. best game in a while. Silky with ball in hand and you'd think it was most of his teamates who were back from injury they looked so slow at times. A few people on here no doubt eating their words. Good on ya Newy!
I just don't get the Newman bashing, should be still captain.

'eh disagree, there was a lot to like from this game other than parts of the third quarter, it was more like a loss from last year which I'll certainly take if we're considering the way our guys are playing
Of course you are right Doc, just not interested in looking for minor victories - just seeking a W.

Chaplin, Foley, Newman and Petterd - best games for the year

Not many of our players played bad, Freo just have more experience and made the most of there chances.

If Jack kicked straight early & Hampson didn't play... We probably win.

In; Griffiths / McBean
Out; Hampson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put this in the game day thread, but reckon it's worth repeating....

Last Year - 5 scores above 100 points conceded in 23 games
This - 6 times above 100 in 13 games.

Easy then to say that our defence has been poor, which is true to some extent (Chaplin, Houli and Morris have been nowhere near last years form), but it's also our midfield, which exerts minimal pressure and just searches for easy kicks. Add in our truly appalling goal kicking and you can see why we have slumped so much....

I was with my kids all day today and didn't get to see or hear the game. I see a few here giving it to ellis but I see on the web he had 29 so what's the story? Were they all rubbish possies or what?

Of course you are right Doc, just not interested in looking for minor victories - just seeking a W.
Of course, me too, but considering how bad we've been playing, getting our form back to how it was should be a priority.

I expect the club gambled over preseason and lost. They expected the game to turn into a stoppage game so we built our players up to deal with stoppages but it turned into a running game instead, our players just aren't built for it right now but are slowly getting it back into them. We'll probably play a lot better towards the end of the year as we finally get back to playing how we should be.
9 kicks, 5 contested possessions and 1 tackle is not good enough from the vice captain and one of our so called "guns" ...
And 2 goals 1, playing with injury. It's a better return than some of his previous games against Freo, all I'm saying.

9 kicks, 5 contested possessions and 1 tackle is not good enough from the vice captain and one of our so called "guns" ...
He is either physically or mentally injured or totally playing out of position.
Used to be able to bank on 25+ possessions a week from Lids...

We showed glimpses of last year's form throughout periods of the match. We gave ourselves the chance to knock Fremantle off but the turnovers we made is what killed us. Our goal kicking was also terrible and we failed to convert most of our chances.

Anthony Miles was great again and should of been in the team from round 1. Nathan Foley is also getting better each week and has something to offer for a few more years yet.

Changes
Out: A. Edwards, Hampson, Lennon, Morris (Injured)
In: O'Hanlon, Jackson, Conca, Thomas

Against Sydney we are going to need plenty of players capable of winning contested ball. A. Edwards didn't have an impact on the scoreboard today and is not going to help us in the future. O'Hanlon comes in for him as a lead up forward and he also had a solid game in the VFL where he kicked 2 goals. Surely Hardwick will let Morris go out for surgery now.

Devoid of:

* skill
* leadership
* gameplan
* footy nous
* talent
*confidence

Make no mistake we are in deep trouble. This is akin to the Wallace and Frawley eras. So many below average plodders (most recruited from other clubs) that are never displaced from the starting 22.

Hardwick has a worse record too.

This will continue until wholesale changes are made.

Everyone at the club should be under the microscope. Everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back