Official Fulham Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In honour of our team's stellar effort in reaching 50 premiership points this season, under Gentleman Woy's guidance, I thought we could start a thread to see how many Fulham supporters there are out in the BF jungle.

We are still a chance of making Europe (the Europa Cup thingo), though I personally would rather we didn't have to play all the extra games, given the squad is so small.

I'm enjoying seeing Hangers and Kamara playing so well, and Danny Murphy is proving yet again why he is such a class act. I think it's been a really good season, especially given how everyone seemed to think we'd fall apart when Bullard left.

And I'm really looking forward to when the boys come out later this year to play Melbourne - hopefully we can get out to the game and show some support for the Cottagers!!

Go the Cottagers!!

Come on you Whites!!!!

"He scores with his left, he scores with his right, Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiint Dempsey, makes Drogba look shite!"

Never a soccer fan, but having moved to London and been to Craven Cottage a couple of times now, I'm hooked.

"We're all going on a European tour, a European tour, a European tour..."

The papers over here picked a team of the year from all the London based teams - keeper: M Schwarzer. Elite.

Worryingly though, it's been reported that the Whites also have a relatively high level of debt compared to most clubs outside the big 4 - hopefully they can continue to put a decent team on the park.

Oh yes!!!!

How good was that comeback! Especially sweet to do it at the magnificent Craven Cottage on a cold winters night - and to do it after going down another goal early!!

Hard to believe only 20 months ago Lawrie Sanchez had us on the verge of relegation - before the genius that is Roy engineered our Great Escape.

When I first started following Fulham, Ian Branfoot was the manager and we'd just finished 8th in the 3rd Division.

The next year, 1995-96, we finished 17th in Div 3 - I think that ranked us about #85 in the English leagues - and the talk of the club folding really took off.

I never thought we'd get back to the top flight for decades, let alone that within 15 seasons, not only would we be in the Premier League beating ManU and Arsenal, but we'd beat Juve and qualify for the quarters of a major European league!!

Amazing stuff - and makes the journey all the more sweet to have been there when we were at rock bottom.

Come On You Whites!!!!

Sorry for the length - I can't find an internet link, so have quoted the lot.

Roy's Fulham empire has Roman in ruins

Dave Kidd

Roman Abramovich has always craved global domination for Chelsea.

This week he does not even own the most glamorous club on the Wimbledon branch of the London Underground District Line.

Fulham's epic comeback against Juventus occurred in the same SW6 postal code as Chelsea's Champions League defeat by Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan.

Unadulterated glory at one end of the Fulham Road, bad-tempered, petulant misery at the other.

Chelsea may well win the double this season, while Fulham will probably end a glorious campaign in a state of potlessness.

Yet success is relative and Abramovich must be viewing his neighbours with a sense of envy.

Should he wish to learn any lessons from the poor relations down the road, the Russian might want to take on board one fact.

Nobody at Fulham claims to know more about football than their manager.

At Abramovich's the dark side this has never been the case. Even the Portuguese bloke who won back-to-back titles saw his authority fatally undermined. And whatever happened to that fella, by the way? Sack

Depending upon which of Abramovich's courtiers you are being briefed by this week, the Russian is either ready to sack Carlo Ancelotti or put an end to player power by handing his manager more authority.

There is no doubt the latter path is the one to take.

Fulham players readily talk about being mere cogs in Roy Hodgson's machine - undergoing relentless, monotonous training drills which have resulted in them handing out thrashings to Liverpool, Manchester United and Juventus.

As a team and as a club, Fulham has Hodgson's identity stamped all over it - intelligent, efficient, decent, a little old-fashioned, over-achieving on a monumental scale. Abramovich is desperate for the dark side to have an identity of their own, yet the only recurring images of his club are of sleaze off the field and snarling lawlessness on it.

For the second successive year, the Blues were dragged kicking and screaming out of Europe. Unruly brats, spitting abuse at the referee, tears before bedtime.

In these pages today, John Terry makes an unwise outburst at German whistler Wolfgang Stark - and at the standards of European refereeing in general - which will hardly please Chelsea's Russian owner as he searches for the moral high ground. Disrespect is not a word that Terry should be bandying about after his last couple of months - even for those of us who take the unfashionable view that he should not have been stripped of the England captaincy for sleeping with the wrong person.

The bad behaviour we see on the football pitch is far more damaging than bedroom indiscretions off it.

While Terry was ranting, Frank Lampard spoke eloquently about the need to sign a fantasy player in the Lionel Messi mode. Terry himself made a similar point last year.

And despite Joe Cole's best efforts, Chelsea lack the genuinely world-class crowd pleaser who would endear them to a wider audience.

This is, remember, a club which has always adored its flair players - Gianfranco Zola, Pat Nevin, Alan Hudson.

Chelsea had been linked with Andrey Arshavin, from Abramovich's own backyard, and the Russian would have fitted the bill wonderfully.

But while Arsene Wenger was the only Premier League boss willing to stick his neck out, Chelsea lacked even a manager with autonomy in the transfer market.

They could have done a lot worse than re-signing Damien Duff from Newcastle for £4million last summer.

Hodgson was the only manager with the vision and the belief to gamble on reviving an outstanding talent.

Duff has been immense for Fulham, his performance against Juve a masterclass.

Looking over at Craven Cottage's Putney End on Thursday and seeing the words 'Fulham 4 Juventus 1' glowing from the scoreboard would have been a surreal moment for any home supporter.

Miracle In 1996, while Juventus were winning the European Cup, I looked over at the same end of the ground - then a crumbling terrace - and saw a dozen Torquay fans dancing the conga, after they had beaten Fulham in a Third Division match.

Such a transformation gives hope to any of the 82 clubs beneath Fulham in English professional football - and should scupper the sour-faced plotting of men like Bolton chairman Phil Gartside and his proposals for a franchise-based two-tier Premier League, with no relegation.

The Fulham story is not quite a miracle, though.

None of it would have been possible without Mohamed Al Fayed's considerable investment, while even Hodgson has not engineered a Premier League away win since the opening day of the season.

But the Hodgson era has been a triumph of excellent management and old-school commonsense.

Having 62 years on the clock no longer makes you scrappage-scheme material, so a bigger job may well present itself to the Fulham boss.

England, Liverpool, maybe even the dark side.

Yet if we have learned anything at all about Hodgson, we would have to suspect that he is too damned sensible to fancy that particular gig.

For those that have not seen it yet - to be sung to the tune of London Calling by teh Clash...

LONDON CALLING

London calling to the faraway towns
All over Europe, the challenge is down
London Calling there’s nowhere to hide
The white tide is coming, the world’s greatest side
London calling to the Banks of the Nile
The Son of the Pharaohs, has made London smile
London calling, you’d better believe
Fulham will win the Europa League

CHORUS

We’ve been to the Baltic, we’ve conquered the Steppes
The Romans have fallen we’ve won in Donetsk
The white wave is rolling, the tide’s on the rise
The waters will lift us ‘cause we,
Live by the river.

London Calling to the crowds of Turin
The Old Lady’s had it, she’s been done in
Were you there, at the Hammersmith End?
On the 18th of March Two Thousand and Ten
London calling generations to come
Fulham have beaten Juventus 4 – 1
London calling abroad and beyond
The Blues have been banished, the Whites carry on

CHORUS

Wolfsburg is waiting, then Hamburg is next
The Germans will crumble in SW6
The white wave is rolling, the tide’s on the rise
The waters will lift us ‘cause we,
Live by the river.

:D:D Sad I know, but hey it rhymes!!!

thread looks empty thought id post something to fill up the space :D

with a new manager and the team we have im confident of breaking into the top 10 this season with out the distraction of europa..

So with all four of us Fulham fans seemingly busy elsewhere, the message board is really on fire here hey lads.

If you want to keep a bit more up to date with whats going on over here in SW6 then hit up www.friendsoffulham.com

Hopefully we will see a big name centre forward coming in within the next two weeks or we could be fighting it out in the relegation battle!

COYW!!!

Thanks for bumping this thread Hazey.

Apparently Konchecsky may be coming back, and we might get Shaun Wright Phillips on loan as well.

Not sure about our forward structure or our defenders this year - I am really surprised Gera and Pantsil haven't been used more.

Also very sad that Hughes seems focused on bringing in his faves rather than using the Fulham academy to develop the younguns.

Basically, AFAIAC, if we don't win our next three PL matches, we are almost certain to go down, given the difficulty of the last part of our PL draw.

Very sad, given how well we did last year, and the bashing Woy has wound up getting at Livulpool.

However, it may be a silver lined cloud, in that we will finally get to see if MAF is committed enough to fund a second promotion campaign, or if he only ever really wanted the profits from redeveloping the Cottage land.

Any other Fulham BF supporters have a view??

PS - hopefully Murphy signs on again - only Sir Brian coming back again from the USA would be better!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoke H
Liverpool A
Newcastle H
Villa A
Chelsea H
Man City A
Blackburn Rovers H
Everton A
Blackpool H
Man U A
Bolton H
Sunderland A
Liverpool H
Birmingham A
Arsenal H

I've only started following Fulham seriously since I saw them play live for the first time in Melbourne about 18 months ago, so I'm still getting to know the whole Premier League, and learning to cope with this relegation stress!

Would love to know your thoughts on :

• What are the must win, no excuses games from that lot?
  • What is the magic number of points that will see us to safety?
  • Will they change managers?

Big one this week...they're all big I guess now :eek:

Stoke H
Liverpool A
Newcastle H
Villa A
Chelsea H
Man City A
Blackburn Rovers H
Everton A
Blackpool H
Man U A
Bolton H
Sunderland A
Liverpool H
Birmingham A
Arsenal H

I've only started following Fulham seriously since I saw them play live for the first time in Melbourne about 18 months ago, so I'm still getting to know the whole Premier League, and learning to cope with this relegation stress!

Would love to know your thoughts on :

• What are the must win, no excuses games from that lot?
  • What is the magic number of points that will see us to safety?
  • Will they change managers?
Big one this week...they're all big I guess now :eek:

Good to have another Fulham supporter on board!!

In reverse order:

1. Will we change managers?
    I suspect not before we are officially relegated, unless we lose a series of games badly. Hughes doesn't seem to have had any fundamental problems relationship wise with the key players in the squad (bar Gera and Pantsil) and he does seem to have regained the support of the front office. That said, Jol is available, Woy is available, and it is likely that at least a couple of others in our target price range will be available within the next couple of weeks, so you never know. If we lose Hangeland in the remaining transfer window, or if Sidwell turns out to be a bust, the pressure could be right back on Hughes.
  2. Magic # of points?
    Most years I'd say 42 is the target to feel safe, but our goal difference is really quite good considering our position on the ladder, and so 40 might be enough, especially if the bottom 3 teams keep getting belted when they lose.
  3. Must wins?
    I'll be very surprised if we stay up from here, I reckon our draw from here on in is just about the toughest in the league.

We have only two games left against the current bottom five sides, and both (Villa and Birmingham) are away games). In contrast, we play all of the top 8 sides except Spurs, and also have two games against a Liverpool side that is desperate to get some wins and re-establish their standing with fans.

The win against Stoke helped a lot, but if we are to stay up I'd say there are two keys - draw the games in green, and win the games in purple. Would also be good if we didn't get belted in the other games, as any drop off in our goal difference will be putting us under more pressure.

Liverpool A
    Newcastle H
    Villa A
    Chelsea H
    Man City A
    Blackburn Rovers H
    Everton A
    Blackpool H
    Man U A
    Bolton H
    Sunderland A
    Liverpool H
    Birmingham A
    Arsenal H
The two Liverpool games are really looking critical - especially if we drop points against Villa, Birmingham or the Tangerine Army.

Views??

1. Magic # of points?
    Most years I'd say 42 is the target to feel safe, but our goal difference is really quite good considering our position on the ladder, and so 40 might be enough, especially if the bottom 3 teams keep getting belted when they lose.
  2. Must wins?
    I'll be very surprised if we stay up from here, I reckon our draw from here on in is just about the toughest in the league.
    We have only two games left against the current bottom five sides, and both (Villa and Birmingham) are away games). In contrast, we play all of the top 8 sides except Spurs, and also have two games against a Liverpool side that is desperate to get some wins and re-establish their standing with fans.

The win against Stoke helped a lot, but if we are to stay up I'd say there are two keys - draw the games in green, and win the games in purple. Would also be good if we didn't get belted in the other games, as any drop off in our goal difference will be putting us under more pressure.

Liverpool A
    Newcastle H
    Villa A
    Chelsea H
    Man City A
    Blackburn Rovers H
    Everton A
    Blackpool H
    Man U A
    Bolton H
    Sunderland A
    Liverpool H
    Birmingham A
    Arsenal H
The two Liverpool games are really looking critical - especially if we drop points against Villa, Birmingham or the Tangerine Army.
Well, here's what was predicted -v- how we actually did.

Liverpool A Loss - as predicted
Newcastle H Won - as predicted
Villa A - Draw - as predicted
Chelsea H Draw - better than predicted
Man City A Draw - better than predicted
Blackburn Rovers H Won - as predicted
Everton A - Loss - worse than predicted
Blackpool H Won - Better than predicted
Man U A Loss - as predicted
Wolves - Draw
Bolton H Won - as predicted
Sunderland A
Liverpool H
Birmingham A
Arsenal H
Looks like we might well stay up, with an extra win and two unexpected extra draws. Would still be nice to also get 5 points from our remaining 4 games!!!

Go Clint Dempsey!!

Well, here's what was predicted -v- how we actually did.

Liverpool A Loss - as predicted
Newcastle H Won - as predicted
Villa A - Draw - as predicted
Chelsea H Draw - better than predicted
Man City A Draw - better than predicted
Blackburn Rovers H Won - as predicted
Everton A - Loss - worse than predicted
Blackpool H Won - Better than predicted
Man U A Loss - as predicted
Wolves - Draw
Bolton H Won - as predicted
Sunderland A
Liverpool H
Birmingham A
Arsenal H
Looks like we might well stay up, with an extra win and two unexpected extra draws. Would still be nice to also get 5 points from our remaining 4 games!!!

Go Clint Dempsey!!

Coyws....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back