Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah don’t know if Maynard is a dog. Seen attempted smothers like his many times a season. It just sucks Bradshaw has been unlucky to get many head knocks. If it wasn’t that Marnard hit it could have hypothetically been a Hugh McCluggage tackle into the turf this season for example. Some blokes just seem to get head knocks more than others. It’s the nature of the game, the person and the role.

Hope he gets paid out and enjoys the rest of his life without major issue.
Brayshaw hadn't had a concussion in over 5 years at that point. Maynard didn't mean it clearly but he left his feet and made high contact which resulted in a player being knocked out. Hindsight says it was an error he didn't get rubbed out.

That stinks. Poor bloke had a lot of concussion issues. I don't know that the game can survive long term, certainly we need to rethink junior footy (as I think they have in some places).

While adult, paid AFL players might be able to consent to the risk, kids certainly can't, and parents can't be expected to either.
As a parent, it is my duty to protect my child. If that means saying my kid can’t play a sport that I deem unsafe, then that’s my role.

If a parent consents to a child playing a certain sport that has known risks associated with it, then that’s 100% on the parent/s.

As a parent, it is my duty to protect my child. If that means saying my kid can’t play a sport that I deem unsafe, then that’s my role.

If a parent consents to a child playing a certain sport that has known risks associated with it, then that’s 100% on the parent/s.

For a lot of parents the level of risk is not appreciable / readily apparent. So they may be providing consent, but in many cases it wouldn’t be properly informed consent.

I haven’t thought too deeply about this topic but there is also probably an onus on the governing body to reduce these risks where it can, regardless of any consent that has been provided.

I wonder what happens with his contract considering he is contracted for effectively another 5 years.
Because it is a medical retirement Do the Demons still need to pay him for that period of time or a payout?
A payout would affect their cap for one year but it could affect their cap for the next 5?
Because it is a medical retirement, the Demons are liable for his full contract status. I'm uncertain whether it needs to be a payout or over time, but in terms of cap impact historically it would accelerate into their salary cap in the following year. However that's why teams have, from time to time, retained players on their playing list because they can't afford that acceleration and remain cap compliant. Voss and Patfull both come to mind, but there's been others.

Because it is a medical retirement, the Demons are liable for his full contract status. I'm uncertain whether it needs to be a payout or over time, but in terms of cap impact historically it would accelerate into their salary cap in the following year. However that's why teams have, from time to time, retained players on their playing list because they can't afford that acceleration and remain cap compliant. Voss and Patfull both come to mind, but there's been others.
Adams?

Gus would have been on decent coin and 5 years worth. Surely that can’t be accelerated too much. Dees wouldn’t have an enormous amount of cap space.

Absolutely as you say its on the parent if they consent to it - but the consequences are all on the kid.

My point here - is that I think there is an argument that parents arguably shouldn't be able to consent to the risk of long-term traumatic brain injury on behalf of their children.

There's plenty of situations where we ignore parental autonomy and prescribe an approach, e.g. through a court order blood transfusions can be given to children where medically necessary, where their parent is a Jehovah's witness who won't consent.

I don't think the decision is comparable to that example of course, but if we can't make the game safer, or if more evidence comes out about the effects of concussion on children, then we might need to rethink junior footy altogether. Which absolutely sucks, I loved playing footy and I don't want to see it die.

For a lot of parents the level of risk is not appreciable / readily apparent. So they may be providing consent, but in many cases it wouldn’t be properly informed consent.

I haven’t thought too deeply about this topic but there is also probably an onus on the governing body to reduce these risks where it can, regardless of any consent that has been provided.
IMO a certain level of graduated "risky" play/activity/behaviour is essential for the proper psychological and physical development of a child eg. tree climbing/bike riding/balancing/skateboarding/walking to school alone etc, a child needs to learn to assess risk and not be wrapped in cotton wool by over protective helicopter parents.

It's part of the responsibility of being a parent, subjective decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think any club would be desperate enough to do that.

Took North long enough to make the call to sack him
Any club wishing to attempt to revive his career, would not only have to worry about the effect on the culture of the AFL team, but also what the AFLW team might think about it.

Any club wishing to attempt to revive his career, would not only have to worry about the effect on the culture of the AFL team, but also what the AFLW team might think about it.
Exactly. Far too much of risk for any club to take on culture wise. He had his chance to work on his behaviour and he pissed it away.

Very sad news about Brayshaw. At only 28, he had a lot of footy taken away from him. Great that he had the courage to accept the medical recommendation, and you would think his gf being Danielle Frawley would mean he would be as aware / educated about the impacts of CTE as most.
On the Maynard hit - I don't think he was trying to end his career, or hurt him seriously, but he definitely wanted to leave something on him. Put it this way - if he was falling down towards his own teammate he wouldn't have hit him as forcefully. He would have cushioned the blow and I can't believe the hearing prosecutors never made that point.

Meanwhile on the field, interesting to note that every result so far in the match sims has gone the way of the team with the longer preseason...
Six with they have had more time to train and half a dozen with the other guys are more focussed on the September silverware not the Febuary glitter!

Oh and the first lot more desperate to have something anything to sell as hope to their possibly disillusioned fan base...

Smack

North sacks Thomas after he cops huge AFL ban

No doubt a desperate club will attempt to turn him around at seasons end.

Don't think any club would be desperate enough to do that.

Took North long enough to make the call to sack him

Exactly. Far too much of risk for any club to take on culture wise. He had his chance to work on his behaviour and he pissed it away.
Isn't it wonderful that we are no longer that team!!! Back in the most recent of our dark ages we would be discussing the pros and cons and not simply saying hell no!

Last edited:
Probably won't happen but Brayshaw has a really good case to sue Maynard.

You could imagine the can of worms that would open.
With the tribunal decision as it is it would probably be hard to sue Maynard but the AFL has, by ruling that action as being within the rules, made themselves wide open.

With the tribunal decision as it is it would probably be hard to sue Maynard but the AFL has, by ruling that action as being within the rules, made themselves wide open.
Absolutely. It's just my take that a Court of Law won't give 2 hoots what the tribunal decided.

I know a few Litigation lawyers who'd be happy to take this on.

It's going to happen sooner rather than later and this decision by the Tribunal will come back to haunt them.

I sincerely hope a MFC legal eagle takes on this case and sues the s**t out of the AFL and Maynard.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back