Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I can find Lethal’s opinions hit and miss, but can’t not respect his pedigree in the game and certainly doesn’t give off as much ‘old man yells at clouds’ as others in his position might. A pretty progressive thinker at times for someone so embedded in the history of the game. Worth a quick watch.

That why you take it out of the club and players hands with an independent reviewer who's job it is to make that call .

Don’t think it’s that much of an issues. Not everything is that corruptible, the doctor doesn’t report to the coach. As long as there is that separation within organisation, shouldn’t be a problem. We all know that in large organisations, that one department does not give a shite about the other department.

You may get occasional instance of funny decisions but usually it’s simply a wrong call vs any undue pressure. People make errors.so will any independent person.

Don’t think it’s that much of an issues. Not everything is that corruptible, the doctor doesn’t report to the coach. As long as there is that separation within organisation, shouldn’t be a problem. We all know that in large organisations, that one department does not give a shite about the other department.

You may get occasional instance of funny decisions but usually it’s simply a wrong call vs any undue pressure. People make errors.so will any independent person.
But I think it’s the ability to eliminate the question of pressure, as has been handled successfully by other sports, that makes it a bit of a no brainer.

Will an independent doctor still make mistakes? Certainly, that’s human nature. But the paper talk of “did they risk his health to win a game” immediately disappears, because they’ve got no horse in the race. That topic is a blight on the game, the fact that teams might pressure their doctors into risking a players’ health, and it comes up a lot. Snap your fingers and that topic is dead.

Same as full time umpires - they’ll still heck up, but the concept of ‘umpire who trains 30 hours a week’ making a mistake is a lot better in my mind than sitting here wondering ‘sorry, why has a Monday to Friday accountant just robbed Brisbane of the Premiership?’

The outcome could continue to be the same, but you’ve saved yourself a lot of headaches (pardon the pun) by removing that first layer of very basic questions.

I’ve made my point about North Melbourne, but this one’s just for me because I think it gets glossed over how truly disgraceful their continued existence is.

Last 100: 15-1-84
Last 50: 4-46
Last 30: 1-29

Since the start of 2020: 12-1-80

If you were a Victorian based North fan who attended every single game that you were legally allowed to in the last five seasons, regardless of if North were the home or the away team…

…you’d have seen them win three games.

I’ve made my point about North Melbourne, but this one’s just for me because I think it gets glossed over how truly disgraceful their continued existence is.

Last 100: 15-1-84
Last 50: 4-46
Last 30: 1-29

Since the start of 2020: 12-1-80

If you were a Victorian based North fan who attended every single game that you were legally allowed to in the last five seasons, regardless of if North were the home or the away team…

…you’d have seen them win three games.

heck

That’s dire

But I think it’s the ability to eliminate the question of pressure, as has been handled successfully by other sports, that makes it a bit of a no brainer.

Will an independent doctor still make mistakes? Certainly, that’s human nature. But the paper talk of “did they risk his health to win a game” immediately disappears, because they’ve got no horse in the race. That topic is a blight on the game, the fact that teams might pressure their doctors into risking a players’ health, and it comes up a lot. Snap your fingers and that topic is dead.

Same as full time umpires - they’ll still * up, but the concept of ‘umpire who trains 30 hours a week’ making a mistake is a lot better in my mind than sitting here wondering ‘sorry, why has a Monday to Friday accountant just robbed Brisbane of the Premiership?’

The outcome could continue to be the same, but you’ve saved yourself a lot of headaches (pardon the pun) by removing that first layer of very basic questions.

Yeah you won’t remove the pressure because independent doctors will then be questioned on whether they are simply putting everyone in protocols because that’s conservative.

Anyway, I think effect is marginal on current setup.

Umpires training for 30 hours? What the f will they do for 30 hours? Are there games on they can officiate during the week to practise?

You love to see it.

In seriousness, the league has had a problem for a long time in that 2-3 teams are totally unwatchable each season. And one of those is always North Melbourne.

Unfortunately high end priority picks was the solution. You need them and importantly need them early. No point giving them after 5 years because it’s another 5 years until they can really win you a large chunk of games. But then all those original players leave via free agency because they had enough.

I know north has shot itself in foot on a couple of things but even without that, it’s a hard slog.

Then draft is severely compromised, making things worse. Current onfield rules, to open the play also mean that weak teams get smashed.

Yeah you won’t remove the pressure because independent doctors will then be questioned on whether they are simply putting everyone in protocols because that’s conservative.

Umpires training for 30 hours? What the f will they do for 30 hours? Are there games on they can officiate during the week to practise?
Wouldn’t mind them spending a large chunck of that time with going balls randomly passing the goal line and then having to make a call so we don’t have this blight on the game of slowing down and players and supporters not being able to celebrate goals as we wait for the replay.

Unfortunately high end priority picks was the solution. You need them and importantly need them early. No point giving them after 5 years because it’s another 5 years until they can really win you a large chunk of games. But then all those original players leave via free agency because they had enough.

I know north has shot itself in foot on a couple of things but even without that, it’s a hard slog.

Then draft is severely compromised, making things worse. Current onfield rules, to open the play also mean that weak teams get smashed.
Absolutely right, high end PPs are not the answer. I can’t stand the inequity of giving s**t teams handouts due to f**Kups of their own making but if we HAVE to what they actually needed was first access to FAs and the first 3-4 picks of the last three MSDs. Let them take Howes, Scaife and Blight this year for example and there is suddenly some KP support but why should we when they refused to match a Ben McKay bid so they could leech their way into another top 3 pick? It’s too late now because what player in their right mind would go to that dumpster fire? Even the supporters know it. Their rock bottom thread is just depressing to read tbh. When Tassie come in for the sake of the competition they should actually merge four Victorian teams into one, go back to a top and bottom 8 with eight quality games each week.

But they won’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as full time umpires - they’ll still heck up, but the concept of ‘umpire who trains 30 hours a week’ making a mistake is a lot better in my mind than sitting here wondering ‘sorry, why has a Monday to Friday accountant just robbed Brisbane of the Premiership?’

That’s a big assumption. The AFL have an incentive to put out the most entertaining product, and that will include ensuring the best players are on the ground. We have already seen that with the flip flopping of the MRP and tribunal being somewhat dependent on who is being reported/investigated (Zac Butters) and what time of year the incident occurred (Maynard).

If your argument is about the perception of independence, then I agree. An AFL doctor has less of a perceived bias than the club doctor. In effect the organisation that both the doctors work for have a bias to keeping the best players on the ground.

Our record in the last 3 years is as close if not worse.

Sure we're improving slowly but we still comfortably losing more than winning

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
We’re 4-9 in our last 13.
They’re 4-46 in their last 50.

We’re dogshit. They’re some sort of antimatter.

I think the AFL will keep with the clubs providing the doctors for the liability only. If they supply docs then they will have some sort of liability. If you leave it with the clubs then it's on say westcoast to payout a player who has to retire early.

Well, for 1, they could learn to bounce the ball?

Well, for 1, they could learn to bounce the ball?

If I had to do that for 30 hours, I’d quit umpiring.

I am sure they practise it, you not hearing about it from your armchair is not proof they don’t.

You don’t get to be an afl umpire by just turning up on the day and blowing whistle.

Dan Curtin is probably going to be a good player but boy, he got towelled up today by Brisbane. Probably doesn’t help that they’re asking him to play deep as a lockdown defender, which he definitely doesn’t look ready to do at league level yet.

Adelaide shouldn't have taken Curtin more of a slow-burn prospect.
Subbed off at HT then Worrell injured three minutes into the third quarter wasn't ideal for Adelaide's chances of a win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back