List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You didn’t answer the question. Would you rather have had pick 3 or Barrass?
At the time?

Barrass obviously.

Plenty of top picks end up busts and A-grade tall defenders are rare as hen's teeth.

If you don't think that's the case, go look at how much Ben McKay is getting paid, and he's not fit to tie Barrass' shoelaces at the best of times.

We’re worse than they are!

They absolutely made the right call with McKay.
No, they didn't make the right call because it's made them even more uncompetitive when the ball enters their D50.

They have nobody to compete with the tall forwards.

Zane Duursma ain't kicking enough goals to make up for that.

At the time?

Barrass obviously.

Plenty of top picks end up busts and A-grade tall defenders are rare as hen's teeth.

If you don't think that's the case, go look at how much Ben McKay is getting paid, and he's not fit to tie Barrass' shoelaces at the best of times.

Given the fact in 2022 it was clear we’re heading for a 5 year rebuild, I’d have taken pick 3 knowing we are in for short term pain.

Just my view.

No, they didn't make the right call because it's made them even more uncompetitive when the ball enters their D50.

They have nobody to compete with the tall forwards.

Zane Duursma ain't kicking enough goals to make up for that.

There is not a single north Melbourne supporter who is wishing they had McKay over Duursma.

Given the fact in 2022 it was clear we’re heading for a 5 year rebuild, I’d have taken pick 3 knowing we are in for short term pain.

Just my view.
Yes, in 2022.

Free agents are generally signed up a year before their contract expires however. You'd know this if you looked at the rest of teh clubs around the league who do exactly that.

Free agents who go unsigned into their contract year are almost certainly 100% gone, so clubs don't want to play silly buggers with valuable FAs for their exact reason.

You're kidding yourself if you think mucking around with a well-loved player's contract wouldn't put doubts in the minds of others in the playing group.

I don't care for priority or assistance picks, the real problem is the AFL gave out assistance to North which heavily compromised our run at the 2023 draft. That itself is an issue preventing effective equalisation.

As far as deserts go we've had more exogenous causes like losing Venables and high number of impact injuries in 22/23.

But as far as list management most of the problems are our own making, you've only got to go through names like SPS, Dixon, Naish to realise the list management team has been incompetent.

If we're stand alone the worst team of the year the danger of us interrupting another teams draft is probably limited and as such I think the AFL will want to sure up our list ahead of Tasmania entering the comp.

In a hypothetical where Barrass leaves via free agency in 2022 and we get pick 3, that pick culd have gotten us Jackson.

I’m taking jackson over Barrass everyday, and almost every single person would.

Take Jackson out of it, we could have taken another top pick in the 2022 draft.

Barrass for pick 3 is a no brainer.
Did Jackson have any interest in joining West Coast?

Surely pick 2 was on the table for him.

North are streets ahead of us, in part because they were smart and used the collateral they had to generate a top 3 pick.

They’ve made a lot of mistakes. That isn’t one of them.
The collateral they used was drafted in 2015, the year before their rebuild began. Plenty of time for you to catch up to North's timeline and trade out a 2021 draftee for band one compo in 2029.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You didn’t answer the question. Would you rather have had pick 3 or Barrass?
Your pick 3 could have broken his back and be in exactly the same place Barrass is in now. So you're getting f*all out of your pick 3 for the next 10 years.

See how this game is played.

By the way, I believe you will need multiple years of assistance form the AFL to get out of where you are at.

I'm curious to hear an outsiders perspective here, do you believe we deserve assistance?

Further to that, what type of assistance and how should it be used if it's draft capitol?

I'm curious to hear an outsiders perspective here, do you believe we deserve assistance?
based on GC and North precedence. Yes.

Especially because anyone who follows list management can see your are in a worse place than what GC and North were in.
Further to that, what type of assistance and how should it be used if it's draft capitol?
Not a pick 1 PP.

2024 and 2025, mid first round pick and end of first round pick. So pick 11 and pick 21 this year, and pick 11 and pick 19 next year. No condition on having to trade them or potentially lose them.
+
The right to prelist any NGA kid for the next 3 drafts 2024 to 2026, to the senior list.
+
Maybe an expanded rookie list to p!ss off the WAFL and make the BEagles more competitive.

Because they started their rebuild in 2016. And they took an extra 4 years to bottom out properly. And got a top NGA kid, and a father son kid, in that time as well.

Already had this conversation with others on here.

North didn’t start rebuilding until 2020. Brad Scott got fired for telling the board they needed to rebuild in 2019 because the board didn’t have the stomach for it.

It wasn’t until after AFL resumed in 2020 they realised they needed to rebuild.

The father son I assume you mean Harvey. He doesn’t move the needle. He’s a fringe player.

And the NGA player isn’t even on their list anymore…
014fcaef604cc25fb640c8393e47832a.jpg

Already had this conversation with others on here.

North didn’t start rebuilding until 2020. Brad Scott got fired for telling the board they needed to rebuild in 2019 because the board didn’t have the stomach for it.

It wasn’t until after AFL resumed in 2020 they realised they needed to rebuild.

The father son I assume you mean Harvey. He doesn’t move the needle. He’s a fringe player.

And the NGA player isn’t even on their list anymore…
014fcaef604cc25fb640c8393e47832a.jpg
Bailey Scott. Father Son. Came through Gold Coasts academy, but chose North.

Everyone knows that North decided to start the rebuild process at the end of 2016 when they made the call on Harvey.

Even ol' VolKane-o has said we should get picks now.

Kane Cornes boldly declares West Coast a ‘blight’ on AFL that must be given a priority pick​

Controversial AFL commentator Kane Cornes has boldly declared West Coast is a “blight” on the league and must be given a priority pick after yet another horror start to the year.

It comes as coach Adam Simpson said the issue was not on his agenda despite the Eagles having won just five games in their last two seasons and opening 2024 with three losses by 50 points or more.

If the Eagles were to slump to their third wooden spoon, and second in a row, the league could consider gifting them a raft of draft selections that could be spent at the trade table or at the AFL draft to expedite the club’s extensive rebuild, as they did for North Melbourne in 2023.
And it’s a move Cornes said was a must.

“This is a blight on the competition, and they need to be given a priority pick,” he said on Footy Classified.
“This team, I thought, would be able to compete for half of footy, but they can’t.

“This year, they’ve kicked 17 points in second quarters and conceded 100, so games are over at halftime. This is a team that can’t even give you a half of footy.

“And I want to judge them, not on wins and losses, but their own words, their pressure, the vibe amongst the group like playing for each other. Can you tell me if they are playing for each other if the game is over at halftime?”
However, leading AFL journalist Caroline Wilson laid the blame squarely at West Coast’s feet, stating the club, who are believed to have about $50 million in the bank, were too wealthy to be considered and were feeling the consequences of poor choices.

“This is the most powerful and wealthy club in the land,” she said.

“A good administration would have halfway through last year identified one of the key big-name AFL coaches potentially gettable - and there were several - and done something last June or July.

“Mid-year, I think everyone sort of assumed that it would be the last year for (Adam Simpson). So you’d repay the richest club in the competition for a litany of complete own goals.”

Back