List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs also have an abundance of talls they have to pay and play. They'll have to move some of their KPFs to the backline at some stage

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree and was talking about getting a 2024 pick suitable for Buss all through the last draft, but I don't think the dogs will give him away just because they have a lot of talls on their list. End of first round doesn't get it done for mine, but happy to take it if they are happy to accept.

No offence to our only surviving captain but sooner or later the club might look to engage in a trading of players and Bulldogs might be a good fit for someone like Duggan to spend the back end of his career chasing a second flag.

I also think we need to ask the question if this coaching group is the right group to take a young core team forward? Should we also be going with a younger more innovative coaching group?

That article makes it sound like we're a lock for priority picks. The changes are to avoid clubs getting one after one bad season. We're likely to have 3 in a row with less than 4 wins. Under the old system, we would have pick 1 and 2 last year and probably pick 1 and 2 this year as well.

We probably will. Here’s how we compare to North who got a F2 and F3 in 2022, favourably.

The differences between the 2 are the weighting given to injuries impact on performance, our flag and finals in 2019/20 compared to North.

Based on w/l and % we are far worse 2022-2024 than north were in 2020-2022.

North
2020 17th 3W 14L 71.2%
2021 18th 4W 1D 17L 70.3%
2022 18th 2W 20L 55.8%

West Coast
2022 17th 2W 20L 59.8%
2023 18th 3W 20L 53.0%
2024* 18th 0W 3L 42.8%

North 9W 1D
West Coast 5 wins*

Difference of more than 4 wins with a far lower percentage.

Lol - that is a shocking take. Firstly, the live picks were more like 16, 20, 27 and late 30s. Secondly, those drafts were not great and most of the players selected at those picks are either career over or haven't shown much.
Astonishing that there are STILL holdouts arguing the minutia of what is the worst trade decision we've ever made. I'll give it that the last ten years has seen most of our worst list decisions ever compressed into that time period but that Kelly cluster takes the prize. Deven Robertson, Jeremy Sharpe, Trent Rivers, Mitch Georgiades and Chad Warner available in that pick range and that is JUST the WA players.

One more win and we would have been top 4 as well.

The away win vs St Kilda in the second hub when the entire draft class of 2017 played, including spuds like Brander, Nelson [ugh, I meant Ainsworth] and Brayshaw, was one I thought would galvanise the entire squad.

Damn it.

Last edited:
This is exactly where we are at anyway.
In any scenario, we would need some senior players to help guide the young players coming through. Wether we sold Barass or not it would have made little difference on how long our rebuild would take. Maybe we would be one year in advance but getting smashed by a lot more each week.

In any scenario, we would need some senior players to help guide the young players coming through. Wether we sold Barass or not it would have made little difference on how long our rebuild would take. Maybe we would be one year in advance but getting smashed by a lot more each week.

Did Barrass make a significant contribution in 2023?

Is he making one in 2024 (harder question to answer).

Oh no, maybe we would have lost 6 games by 100 points last year instead of 5.

Come on mate, Barrass or no Barrass 2023 doesn’t get much worse than that.

The opportunity to get that pick and do something with it is a missed opportunity. And the last one we will have for a while.

Did Barrass make a significant contribution in 2023?

Barrass was injured most of the year, due tot he derby injury.

Is this even a legit question?

Is he making one in 2024 (harder question to answer).

Things would be far worse without him in the side, or should Hough be playing on the likes of Naughton/Hogan/etc instead?

Oh no, maybe we would have lost 6 games by 100 points last year instead of 5.

Again, Barrass was dead most of the year, or did you not even know that?

Come on mate, Barrass or no Barrass 2023 doesn’t get much worse than that.

Trash year but it certainly wouldn't have been nearly as bad if our 2 key defenders didn't get injured in the same game(first derby).

The opportunity to get that pick and do something with it is a missed opportunity. And the last one we will have for a while.

Finn Callaghan went at number 3 and while he would've been a handy pickup, it's not like we'd have added The Bont to the midfield.

1711960670262.png

This is exactly where we are at anyway.

You'd be in a worse hole, because you would only have 1 extra top 5 pick and a speculative second round pick in a shallow draft. And after trading pick 2 and Rioli for a couple of mid first round picks, because the top Vic talent in the draft said they wanted to stay home, who else would you have drafted with pick 3?

You need a group of that next wave of talent after Gov and Yeo retire. That's Barrass (if his back holds up) and Duggan, along with Allen. Kelly sort of bridges the two age groups.

Barrass was injured most of the year, due tot he derby injury.

Is this even a legit question?

Things would be far worse without him in the side, or should Hough be playing on the likes of Naughton/Hogan/etc instead?

Again, Barrass was dead most of the year, or did you not even know that?

Trash year but it certainly wouldn't have been nearly as bad if our 2 key defenders didn't get injured in the same game(first derby).

Finn Callaghan went at number 3 and while he would've been a handy pickup, it's not like we'd have added The Bont to the midfield.

View attachment 1946489

It was a rhetorical question.

It was in response to someone saying we would have been worse without Barrass last year. Clearly it’s hard to be worse without a player who barely played.

No Barrass would be short term pain for long term gain, the very basis of a rebuild.

By the way, you’re wrong again (third time now). The FA pick would be in the 2022 draft, not the 2021 draft.

But regardless, I’d trade Barrass for Callaghan every day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It was in response to someone saying we would have been worse without Barrass last year. Clearly it’s hard to be worse without a player who barely played.

No Barrass would be short term pain for long term gain, the very basis of a rebuild.
If Barrass plays another 3 years after this season, that's 5 years. Not sure 5 years is viewed as short term in AFL. For Mattaes Phillipou or Bailey Humphrey.

Meanwhile, who's playing KPD down back with Gov?

By the way, you’re wrong again (third time now). The FA pick would be in the 2022 draft, not the 2021 draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Barrass plays another 3 years after this season, that's 5 years. Not sure 5 years is viewed as short term in AFL. For Mattaes Phillipou or Bailey Humphrey.

Meanwhile, who's playing KPD down back with Gov?

In a hypothetical where Barrass leaves via free agency in 2022 and we get pick 3, that pick culd have gotten us Jackson.

I’m taking jackson over Barrass everyday, and almost every single person would.

Take Jackson out of it, we could have taken another top pick in the 2022 draft.

Barrass for pick 3 is a no brainer.

Last edited:
Last few pages have been a multi quoting extravaganza

200.gif

Have you watched North play this year?

Midfield is stacked but they can't defend for s**t because their talls down back suck.

In a hypothetical where Barrass leaves via free agency in 2022 and we get pick 3, that pick culd have gotten us Jackson.

I’m taking jackson over Barrass everyday, and almost every single person would.

Take Jackson out of it, we could have taken another top pick in the 2022 draft.

Barrass for pick 3 is a no brainer.
Jackson wanted Freo.

How were we getting him again?

Jackson wanted Freo.

How were we getting him again?

Ok, take Luke Jackson out of it.

Simple question: If you had a choice. Would you rather pick 3 in 2022 or Tom Barrass until 2027.

Given where we were at. I’d rather pick 3 and think the club missed a beat not creating that outcome.

Have you watched North play this year?

Midfield is stacked but they can't defend for s**t because their talls down back suck.

North are streets ahead of us, in part because they were smart and used the collateral they had to generate a top 3 pick.

They’ve made a lot of mistakes. That isn’t one of them.

Ok, take Luke Jackson out of it.

Simple question: If you had a choice. Would you rather pick 3 in 2022 or Tom Barrass until 2027.

Given where we were at. I’d rather pick 3 and think the club missed a beat not creating that outcome.

Look at North.

All the midfield talent in the world and look so far off it, it's not funny.

North are streets ahead of us, in part because they were smart and used the collateral they had to generate a top 3 pick.

They’ve made a lot of mistakes. That isn’t one of them.
Who's going to stop forwards constantly kicking bags against them? Their current batch isn't up to it at all.

Back