List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Even ol' VolKane-o has said we should get picks now.

Caro's just stuck in the 80s, where salary caps didn't exist.

Being the richest club in Australia means nothing when the league panders to clubs that are one step away from insolvency to provide the illusion of an equal playing field.

At least Hutchy tried to explain it to her.

Being the richest club in Australia means nothing when the league panders to clubs that are one step away from insolvency to provide the illusion of an equal playing field.

Surely a voice of reason would've said "WC have played 3 sides who will play finals and with Sydney next week, that will make it 4.
3 of those sides could finish in the top 4.

Let's wait and see how they go against some other sides like Richmond, North and Hawthorn to get a better idea of where they're at."

We've got the draw from hell.
And after 3 losses by pretty much what everyone thought, people want to burn the place down.

FMD

Let's not be all high and mighty about priority picks. Luke Shuey was a priority pick after all.

If everyone's fine with us losing by 60/70/80 points every week with the games being over by half time then have it.

We should just go full nuclear on the AFL and find some fringe WA draftee that decides to challenge the AFL in court to end the draft as a whole (like what happened with NRL).

Then throw our cash around and become a perma-strong team like the EPL. With luck, the beggar clubs like Norf, Saints, Dogs, die within 5 years and we get ourselves a juicy 12 team comp with a high skill level.

At the time?

Barrass obviously.

Plenty of top picks end up busts and A-grade tall defenders are rare as hen's teeth.

If you don't think that's the case, go look at how much Ben McKay is getting paid, and he's not fit to tie Barrass' shoelaces at the best of times.
Even with a cooked back Barrass is so much better than McSpud.

Let's not be all high and mighty about priority picks. Luke Shuey was a priority pick after all.

If everyone's fine with us losing by 60/70/80 points every week with the games being over by half time then have it.

Didn't us and Melbourne have for picks in succession? Tapscott and Shuey maybe? And then we took Swift.

I'd view Swift as our priority pick, the same as Sampi in 2001.

There was also a clear set of rules at the time to stop teams being poor for long. We had 3 picks in the top 22 that year. Last year we were worse and had 1 in the top 29.

I dont think Norf are "streets" ahead of us because they got Duursma at pick 3.
That’s right, it’s not just because of one pick however when you put the sums of there draft hauls of late together they then become “streets” in front of us from a list point of view.

Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Duursma, Will Phillips and LDU are all top 5 selections in recent drafts.

We have one in Harley.

Nth have obvious holes on there list but are 3-4 years in front of us in terms of a rebuild.

That’s right, it’s not just because of one pick however when you put the sums of there draft hauls of late together they then become “streets” in front of us from a list point of view.

Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Duursma, Will Phillips and LDU are all top 5 selections in recent drafts.

We have one in Harley.

Nth have obvious holes on there list but are 3-4 years in front of us in terms of a rebuild.
And thats mostly because of how s**t Norf have been for a long time. Not because they have made good calls from a list management point of view.

Didn't us and Melbourne have for picks in succession? Tapscott and Shuey maybe? And then we took Swift.

There was also a clear set of rules at the time to stop teams being poor for long. We had 3 picks in the top 22 that year. Last year we were worse and had 1 in the top 29.

Sampi, Swift and Lycett are our real priority picks. 2010 draft was heavily compromised and we would have taken Swallow so Lycett hardly counts.

Crazy how I'm staggeringly anti-priority pick and would gladly take the hit if it set in stone that the AFL would be done with them forever...

...but the second Jon Ralph says we shouldn't get one I'm now thinking anything less than Pick 2 for free is one of the great injustices of our time.

* off Ralphy, they gave the Pies a priority pick two years removed from back to back Grand Finals. Six years removed from a flag and five wins in two+ seasons is as good an argument as any of the others, get your hand off it m8.

Crazy how I'm staggeringly anti-priority pick and would gladly take the hit if it set in stone that the AFL would be done with them forever...

...but the second Jon Ralph says we shouldn't get one I'm now thinking anything less than Pick 2 for free is one of the great injustices of our time.

* off Ralphy, they gave the Pies a priority pick two years removed from back to back Grand Finals. Six years removed from a flag and five wins in two+ seasons is as good an argument as any of the others, get your hand off it m8.
this is where im at. in principle i hate PP, afl should rid them forever.

but the comp is totally compromised and f*****d that yeap, lets join in on the bs that is afl.

the afl are reaping what they have sewn, a f****d up system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they don't give us a compo then maybe the following.
Our second pick which is likely pick 19 needs to be pick 19 and not blown out to pick 30 by academies and father and sons.
Secondly if Malakai Champion is not picked by pick 20 we should be able to match.

Theres an article for and against, on this subject, at Mongrel Punt. Can’t pull up the link but worth a read, as are the comments..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Theres an article for and against, on this subject, at Mongrel Punt. Can’t pull up the link but worth a read, as are the comments..

Everyone wants to play us twice each year to boost percentage and points. Surely the AFL can see that this makes the final 8 a joke.

I saw the same thing and I started to twitch 🤣 * off using 2018 to subtly screw us when you've been championing North's cause for the past 24 months.

I would prefer there be no priority picks for anyone but the draft would have to be fixed up - equal access to academy players, no discounts for academy players or father-sons, and no deficits. Use your points or lose them. I don't mind the concept of priority access but it should come at a cost to teams that use it rather than being given benefits as is currently the case.

I accept that we'll probably get a North-style deal in that we'll probably get a couple end of first picks that must be traded for players.

Article lost me when the writer admitted to being a Freo supporter. The one team that benefits more than any other from us continuing to struggle historically, being that they get a guaranteed two games against us year in & year out, of course the final opinion will lean towards no. :rolleyes:

Article lost me when the writer admitted to being a Freo supporter. The one team that benefits more than any other from us continuing to struggle historically, being that they get a guaranteed two games against us year in & year out, of course the final opinion will lean towards no. :rolleyes:
For sure, certainly a bias there in describing the club and supporters and being a high earner club...as though we're alone in any of those areas? Because we're a rich club we're automatically arrogant, because we had successful teams they were arrogant etc...Pies equally wealthy, approx same supporter base, equally one eyed and passionate (or arrogant?)

This cracked me up - "It might seem like a lifetime ago now, but West Coast won a flag (that’s right, an actual AFL premiership) just five and a half years ago.

I’m a Freo fan, and on that day I watched on with envy as my smug West Coast-supporting mate bellowed at the top of his lungs declaring undying love for Luke Shuey.

I haven’t forgotten, and neither has the rest of the AFL. (???)(forgotten what?)

Yes, they are struggling mightily right now, but if this club is keen on flaunting its sustained success in our faces (and take it from me, they are) then they shouldn’t be putting their hand out for concessions at the same time..."

Caro the arrow, is expectedly anti-rich club (from the West?) getting favours..

Last edited:
The AFL need to clearly state in broad terms what the purpose of the PP facility is. They won't want to put out a formula for qualifying as they will fear that then that will be gamed and clubs close to qualifying will deliberately lose games to qualify. But if they explained the purpose that would clear up much of the debate.

My understanding is that the purpose is to help clubs who, for whatever reason, have found themselves in a situation where they are way off the general standard of the competition and the demographics and talent distribution on the list make it obvious that the situation is not going to resolve itself naturally in the near future.

For example, if a club is losing a lot of games but that is partly because they are fielding very young 22's and amongst those 22's they have lets say 10 or more first round picks from the last 5 years and/or former AA players under 26 years of age then they don't qualify because their competitiveness issues will likely resolve naturally.

Whether a club has kicked some own goals to create their negative situation shouldn't come into it because every club in a really bad situation has inevitably made bad decisions that contributed to it. How would you parse the decision of how many bad decisions you are allowed to make before you are disqualified from consideration? And how recently you have won a flag should not come into it either. Because the purpose of the facility is not to help anybody win a flag or punish those who have, the purpose is to help clubs in so dire of a state that they are facing being in the bottom 4 for the next 5 years (like we are) get out of the bottom 4 a bit quicker.

As a WCE supporter, I certainly would like additional priority picks to strengthen our list.
However, for the equity and health of the competition, in the long run, all clubs should have the equal priority access to players in a predefined zone and academy associated to the club.

Back