List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon a lot of this debate would have been avoided this year if they'd given us access to Lance Collard. At least they could have forestalled the discussion somewhat.

Norf wouldn't have missed the opportunity to put their hand out for Sanders if that happened.

Let's not be all high and mighty about priority picks. Luke Shuey was a priority pick after all.

If everyone's fine with us losing by 60/70/80 points every week with the games being over by half time then have it.
And Darling. And Judd/Sampi.

Not sure why the club would pretend to not like the PP

Barrett is saying that we shouldn't get a PP but is now trying to camouflage his hypocrisy by pretending he also vocally opposed the PP's to North and GC before now. What a load of crap. He never opposed those clubs getting a PP.

If he and other Melbourne figures are now arguing that club's should take personal responsibility for their decisions and performance, pay the price for their own incompetence and that the AFL should not be intervening to help anybody then thats great. I totally agree. In that vein how about we get rid of the soft cap too then, and get rid of the current distribution formula of broadcast rights money and just give every club the same amount, and the AFL can stop guaranteeing loans and paying for training facilities for Melbourne clubs whilst we are at it.

I’m not here to fetch for you. Feel free to go find it. Or don’t, I’m not particularly concerned .

Freo have managed to rebuild their entire list within the landscape you described without draft assistance.

I reject the premise entirely there was no levers to pull. Barrass, Duggan as free agents in 2022 for a start. Darling had capital.

It was an administration that was so full of themselves that they refused to see what was clear as early as 2021 who refused to make difficult decisions.

That hubris has come back to bite the club, and they shouldn’t be bailed out by the AFL for their incompetence.

Freo has played finals once since 2015, in 2022. That’s once in eight years. You would hope to build a decent list in that time.

Also got a kiss on the dick with an academy pick in Henry, albeit he’s left.

If it takes us 7 years to play finals, I think we’ll be onto a different CEO.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We were indeed competing in 2018 and 2019. By 2020 the ship had sailed. The Jackson trade was at the end of 2022. Only now at the end of 2024, 5 years after our window shut, will we be in a position to make a play for quality departing players. This missed opportunity is on the back of poor list magement.

I wanted to keep Gaff, as almost everyone did, but not on a 6-year term (after triggers achieved). On the otherhand, I was opposed to the Kelly trade at the time, not thinking he was worth the 2 first rounders floated, let alone the additional early 2nd and 3rd we gave up, particularly in a deep draft at a time the list needed an injection of youth.

It is not entirely hindsight. The structural issues on our list were clear as far back as 2019. We drove headfirst over the cliff (much like Richmond have now done). No one could have predicted covid, and it certainly accelerated these issues, but by putting all our eggs in one basket, we exposed ourself in the event of a downturn.

Rotating list managers, and consolidaring it with recruitment is on us. We did not prioritise list management.

Disagree that the ship had sailed by 2020. 2019 we ****ed up the hawthorn game and had a stoner that would have ****ed the finals campaign even if we finished top 4. We were the second best team that year.

2020, I firmly believe that was our last chance, but once the spicy cough swept the world and the season was paused, with it our last crack fell at the wayside as our senior players took liberties during lockdown where as they should have been keeping fit before the season restarted.

Barrett is saying that we shouldn't get a PP but is now trying to camouflage his hypocrisy by pretending he also vocally opposed the PP's to North and GC before now. What a load of crap. He never opposed those clubs getting a PP.

If he and other Melbourne figures are now arguing that club's should take personal responsibility for their decisions and performance, pay the price for their own incompetence and that the AFL should not be intervening to help anybody then thats great. I totally agree. In that vein how about we get rid of the soft cap too then, and get rid of the current distribution formula of broadcast rights money and just give every club the same amount, and the AFL can stop guaranteeing loans and paying for training facilities for Melbourne clubs whilst we are at it.

FWIW I’m Pretty sure he’s always been staunchly against PP and FA compo

Not that I want to give Barrett much credit but he was staunchly against North receiving assistance last year. At least, he was on the AFL.com.au panel shows.

2020, I firmly believe that was our last chance, but once the spicy cough swept the world and the season was paused, with it our last crack fell at the wayside as our senior players took liberties during lockdown where as they should have been keeping fit before the season restarted.
Am a firm believer the club should've burned down the 'Family, Friends, Flag' motto after the GF and replaced it with Footy Finals Flag! (we're here to win footy, it's not a social club for players with family, mortgages and credits in the bank)) ;)

Last edited:

The problem the AFL is facing now is one of their own making - the ridiculous handouts NM got have directly impacted our drafting position for several years... at a point where we only realistically have 2 years to sort ourselves out with Tassie coming.

They've gotten to the point where they need to give PP's to help teams recover from previous years PP's

Not a fan of PP or the level of access the north-eastern clubs have to academy players.
Our 2nd round draft pick position last year was ridiculous.
Might sound counterintuitive, but I hope WCE request & receive PP end of this season,
along with hoping Northern clubs dominate top 4 positions in near future for a while. (hopefully GWS win premiership this year).
And a young WCE side building/threatening.
That may be the catalyst the AFL needs to change things.
*refer inquiry mid 2000's because no Vic side premierships
**dreams are free

The problem the AFL is facing now is one of their own making - the ridiculous handouts NM got have directly impacted our drafting position for several years... at a point where we only realistically have 2 years to sort ourselves out with Tassie coming.

They've gotten to the point where they need to give PP's to help teams recover from previous years PP's
Lol - this is classic AFL. Stuff something up and keep adding to it, rather than fix the core problem. Like at the two spuds they got in to run league: Dillon (who you wouldn't even know has the job) and Laura Kane (no experience and continuing on with the same s**t the previous league did). They're not here to innovate, but to run things off inertia like they've always done.

Random question, sorry, didn't know what thread to put it.
What is the state of jnr development in WA footy in at the moment?
I understand WCE/WAFC/WAFL connection, a little.
A few things I've read here make it sound dire*, but I'm interested in opinions from people that are really involved giving an insight.
*WA 19's state side references in recent years
Is development that bad in WA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think unless we finish dead last with a percentage around the 40's or 50's, we get heck all from the vAFL.

I really doubt that we finish last. Not saying we're going to be 9th-10th with a 99%, but genuinely expect us to win 4-6 matches post-bye with a caretaker coach and Flynn & Allen back.

North are a joke. Hawks seem to have gone backwards too. They're both smokeys to pinch the spoon from us.

If you flip our goals and behinds for the last two matches, our percentage would be around 75% after playing 3 teams who should make top 6. That's not horrible.

Maybe if they're generous they'll let us pick up Champion somewhere towards the middle of the first round (pick 30-35 🙄)

A few things I've read here make it sound dire*, but I'm interested in opinions from people that are really involved giving an insight.
I have asked previously without a response, it appears to be a real issue.

I am not a colts or WAFL watcher but from what I read and how I understand WA talent has been diminishing for sometime….and getting worse.

I think unless we finish dead last with a percentage around the 40's or 50's, we get * all from the vAFL.

I really doubt that we finish last. Not saying we're going to be 9th-10th with a 99%, but genuinely expect us to win 4-6 matches post-bye with a caretaker coach and Flynn & Allen back.

North are a joke. Hawks seem to have gone backwards too. They're both smokeys to pinch the spoon from us.

If you flip our goals and behinds for the last two matches, our percentage would be around 75% after playing 3 teams who should make top 6. That's not horrible.

Maybe if they're generous they'll let us pick up Champion somewhere towards the middle of the first round (pick 30-35 🙄)
Yeah i genuinely dont think we are that bad, the game plan we seem to be trying required a few of the guys who are out injured in order to work properly.
I think we should beat Richmond next week and as you said, we should be a good chance to beat North and the Hawks, especially once we have our forward structure back in a month or 2.

I just hope, that as long as we are bottom 2 the afl give us a couple picks to be traded away, to help fix our list profile a bit. I dont think we need a North Melb type compo

Statistically it's not much of an issue at the moment. What is an issue is West Coast isn't able to identify the local talent.

I think unless we finish dead last with a percentage around the 40's or 50's, we get * all from the vAFL.

Yeah....we're gonna have that covered

Oppo fans would rightfully question why the AFL needs to bail out a team stupid and arrogant enough to hand over picks 14, 18, 24 and 33 spanning what has turned out to be two super drafts. That's four solid AFL players who would be coming into their prime now, for one player who wanted to come home anyway who is now in his final handful of seasons.
Any team would've traded for Kelly in our position at the time, the problem was we publicly conceded we would have to pay a big price and ****ed up the negotiating position and lost the game of chicken with Geelong, we should've kept the last pick we gave. Also the picks ended up being 16, 18, 28 and 37, not exactly premium picks.

So much revisionism around this trade from opposition supporters, and now it seems to be rubbing off on our own fans. Where did you get the idea that 2019 and 2020 were super drafts? That's absolute rubbish, and most of the players taken around the picks we traded were misses. Yes we could've landed Warner but he wasn't rated that highly at the time and every single club passed over him. The fact you think we would've landed 4 solid AFL players with those picks despite our poor drafting at the time is laughable, Kelly was a proven A grader and we had just won a flag. We missed out on picking some potential guns but the likelihood was we would've butchered atleast half of those picks anyway as the talent around them wasn't much chop. Getting Kelly in was the right decision at the time and to say otherwise just shows you're drinking too much victorian media kool aid.

Any team would've traded for Kelly in our position at the time, the problem was we publicly conceded we would have to pay a big price and ****ed up the negotiating position and lost the game of chicken with Geelong, we should've kept the last pick we gave. Also the picks ended up being 16, 18, 28 and 37, not exactly premium picks.

So much revisionism around this trade from opposition supporters, and now it seems to be rubbing off on our own fans. Where did you get the idea that 2019 and 2020 were super drafts? That's absolute rubbish, and most of the players taken around the picks we traded were misses. Yes we could've landed Warner but he wasn't rated that highly at the time and every single club passed over him. The fact you think we would've landed 4 solid AFL players with those picks despite our poor drafting at the time is laughable, Kelly was a proven A grader and we had just won a flag. We missed out on picking some potential guns but the likelihood was we would've butchered atleast half of those picks anyway as the talent around them wasn't much chop. Getting Kelly in was the right decision at the time and to say otherwise just shows you're drinking too much victorian media kool aid.

Yep, absolutely agree with this.

Geelong got 2019 picks 14, 26, 33 (or 16, 28, and 35) after AcAdEmY and F/S picks. Assume we went with the same picks Geelong picked (because they love copying us), this gives you Cooper Stephens, Jeremy Sharp, Nick Bryan. None of which are best 22 players for their clubs as far as I'm aware (Sharp is decent).

Hypothetical players that have shown something taken with picks later than those were Mitch Georgiades, Deven Robertson, Trent Rivers, and Keiden Coleman. The main outlier is Chad Warner at pick 39 from East Freo which is an ouch but as stated, wasn't highly rated at the time. Michael Frederick at pick 61 as well is a similar case. But those may have been massive reaches if the aforementioned picks were used.

So lets say you hit 2 picks and get Dev Robertson (Dropped by Brissy this week) and Mitch Georgiades. Add them to WC right now and take away TK and we're certainly in no better shape, more likely worse. As for the 2020 first rounder we sent (pick 14) that went in to the TK trade as well, not even sure what happened to that. Suspect it was on-traded elsewhere for points or some s**t. Players after pick 14 in 2020 were Ollie Henry, Max Holmes, Jake Bowey, and Errol Gulden (ACADEMY pick again)

So to grossly over simplify, if you hit 3 out of 4 of those draft picks and pick up say Georgiades (WA boy), Robertson (WA boy), and one of Holmes/Bowen. WC gain:3x lower best 22s WC lose: Our starting midfielder. Result: We'd still be pretty damn s**t

Only way WC make something out of 2019, with the magic power of hindsight, is to trade multiple picks (again trading away multiple players) to get into the top 10 and steal either Serong (pick 8) or Tom Green (pick 10).

Another myth is the "North are 3-years ahead" of West Coast in their rebuild.

Results don't suggest this, nor does the age profile to be honest:

North Melbourne:
Average age at Opening Round, 2024: 23.2 (18th oldest)
Average games: 48 (18th most experienced)
Most games: Liam Shiels (271)
Players with 100-plus games: 8
Players with less than 50 games: 29
Most finals games: Liam Shiels (20)
Players with finals experience: 7

West Coast:
Average age at Opening Round, 2024: 23.7 (16th oldest)
Average games: 63.9 (14th most experienced)
Most games: Jack Darling (277)
Players with 100-plus games: 11
Players with less than 50 games: 26
Most finals games: Jack Darling (17)
Players with finals experience: 16

North Melbourne:

West Coast:
Good God, Liam Shiels is still on a list! I used to Marvel that he lasted so long at Hawks, figured North delisted him last year.

North Melbourne:

West Coast:
Too bad there isn't a footy smarts indicator for teams?

Back