NFNL Div 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I presume all clubs will have the same coaches next year apart from Northcote Park? Unless there is anymore surprises?
What about players, any rumours on departures or arrivals?

You’d hope by December would could be back to 2 x groups of 20. And then “normal” training in February.

it seems other states who kept this under control, their hasn’t been mass outbreaks of COVID numbers from local sport specifically

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well all the salary caps have been confirmed!
DIV 1- $100k
DIV 2- $80k
DIV 3- $60k

Can someone explain to me why Div 1 has down a hell of a lot more then the other 2 divisions?

Well all the salary caps have been confirmed!
DIV 1- $100k
DIV 2- $80k
DIV 3- $60k

Can someone explain to me why Div 1 has down a hell of a lot more then the other 2 divisions?

Because people in high places at AFL Victoria and some leagues have made a terrible mistake. These are not NFNL decisions, they have just abided by direction.

Div 1 dropping so much is bordering on ridiculous. The justification was due to potential loss of sponsors and income due to the year off but fails to allow Clubs that have been in Div 1 for many many years and have a decent structure and budgeting to run their own Club. They say they are saving Clubs, I cannot see it.

If anyone things there will be less paper bags they are living in fantasy land.

Because people in high places at AFL Victoria and some leagues have made a terrible mistake. These are not NFNL decisions, they have just abided by direction.

Div 1 dropping so much is bordering on ridiculous. The justification was due to potential loss of sponsors and income due to the year off but fails to allow Clubs that have been in Div 1 for many many years and have a decent structure and budgeting to run their own Club. They say they are saving Clubs, I cannot see it.

Exactly mate.

Spot on. It’s way way to low. Woulda thought you would just bring each Divisions salary down by the same percentage each.
You will see a lot of quality leave to play lower divisions and earn more then they do in division 1.
Ridiculous decision. Should have been $120k Divison 1 and if you can’t pay it, then don’t!

Last edited:
if you can’t pay it, then don’t!

This is exactly what I agree with. Why cant the people in charge of such decisions understand this.

They say people overspend and they are protecting clubs that put Clubs in debt, why is this a problem to Clubs that are decently ran and have the money to remunerate people. Clubs ran with structure and planning will not spend more than they can make, its negligence.

AFL Victoria Community person should be looking at financials of Clubs that are in debt and trying to achieve what is not possible for their Club. You may want to be in a higher division but if you do not have the funds then play where you are capable, its that simple. If that means 'rich' clubs (or clubs ran well) are in a higher division then that's what should happen.

If you cannot pay $1000 a game to a player DON'T. But why are we taking away the opportunity for players to earn a few dollars because some Clubs cannot afford it.

Will some decent players be talking to others in the league and other leagues and look at taking the AFL to court. These decisions can be seen as restraint of trade. There has been heaps of threats to AFL salary cap that it is a restraint of trade but I think no one as ever taken it to court, the AFL have player advocates and player welfare, as we are not professional decisions made which affect people livelihoods are dismissed. The AFL salary cap does not actually decrease, it increases.

Personally I think what we had was OK. If you cannot pay it, don't.

This is exactly what I agree with. Why cant the people in charge of such decisions understand this.

They say people overspend and they are protecting clubs that put Clubs in debt, why is this a problem to Clubs that are decently ran and have the money to remunerate people. Clubs ran with structure and planning will not spend more than they can make, its negligence.

AFL Victoria Community person should be looking at financials of Clubs that are in debt and trying to achieve what is not possible for their Club. You may want to be in a higher division but if you do not have the funds then play where you are capable, its that simple. If that means 'rich' clubs (or clubs ran well) are in a higher division then that's what should happen.

If you cannot pay $1000 a game to a player DON'T. But why are we taking away the opportunity for players to earn a few dollars because some Clubs cannot afford it.

Will some decent players be talking to others in the league and other leagues and look at taking the AFL to court. These decisions can be seen as restraint of trade. There has been heaps of threats to AFL salary cap that it is a restraint of trade but I think no one as ever taken it to court, the AFL have player advocates and player welfare, as we are not professional decisions made which affect people livelihoods are dismissed. The AFL salary cap does not actually decrease, it increases.

Personally I think what we had was OK. If you cannot pay it, don't.
AFL players pay taxes Denny. Not too sure a local footballer would be going to court over restraint of trade, when they don’t declare earnings from that trade. I may be wrong though.

AFL players pay taxes Denny. Not too sure a local footballer would be going to court over restraint of trade, when they don’t declare earnings from that trade. I may be wrong though.

Does paying taxes come into it? It is legal that they are payed via the AFL Victoria contract they sign in that it is a hobby and thus not paying taxes so that may also restrict legal action but I am not a lawyer.

Mate I am not sure if legal avenue is an option at all. I was more floating the idea. Especially as rumours will be 10x more than previous years on all the under the table actions of Clubs, most which is probably crap but they will increase, especially if we see players go to another club.

Does paying taxes come into it? It is legal that they are payed via the AFL Victoria contract they sign in that it is a hobby and thus not paying taxes so that may also restrict legal action but I am not a lawyer.

Mate I am not sure if legal avenue is an option at all. I was more floating the idea. Especially as rumours will be 10x more than previous years on all the under the table actions of Clubs, most which is probably crap but they will increase, especially if we see players go to another club.

If you have ever had the unfortunate need to hire a lawyer, you would understand the cost of their services would far outweigh the financial gain you would receive if you won. And by winning i mean AFL VIC settling because the costs of going to court would definitely wouldn't be worth it.

I understand your premise, that all clubs should not live beyond their means but the worry is a lot of clubs do and in times when we all had financial security the risk of a club folding was low, but now it is a very real risk that if a club over commits it could cease to exist.

Going by Dan Andrews' roadmap today, if there are no new cases for 14 days by November 23 then a phased return of organised contact sports can resume for all ages. Bring on pre-season training!

Going by Dan Andrews' roadmap today, if there are no new cases for 14 days by November 23 then a phased return of organised contact sports can resume for all ages. Bring on pre-season training!
Sounds good but it's a big ask, you only need one person returning from overseas and then all bets are off.

Not a hope in hell there will be zero cases for 14 days. Will be no training of any sort until Jan/Feb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back