NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Bergs, Nth Bergs & Monty just appear to be a long way ahead after watching todays game but very early days.
Owen who was picked up at the Yules doing very well - Thought he was aligned to a VFL side (Coburg?) but played no games there in 2023 or this year?
Great for the bears if he is not playing VFL
Terrible loss for Eltham. The kids a star.

Bergs, Nth Bergs & Monty just appear to be a long way ahead after watching todays game but very early days.
Owen who was picked up at the Yules doing very well - Thought he was aligned to a VFL side (Coburg?) but played no games there in 2023 or this year?
Great for the bears if he is not playing VFL
I wouldn’t be putting North in that category yet. Lost easily in round 1 and beat a poor side in round 2. I’d say they are in that bunch behind Heidelberg and Montmorency.

I wouldn’t be putting North in that category yet. Lost easily in round 1 and beat a poor side in round 2. I’d say they are in that bunch behind Heidelberg and Montmorency.
Fair call much to early in the season to judge but watching those 3 sides this year and a few praccy matches they just stand out with talent - I still rate the yules also.

No umpires for the reserves game between Eltham and Macleod. That’s horrendous at D1 level.

Clubs who are repeat umpire abusing offenders should be punished by having allocations pulled first. I can’t imagine Eltham or Macleod fall into that catergory.

No umpires for the reserves game between Eltham and Macleod. That’s horrendous at D1 level.

Clubs who are repeat umpire abusing offenders should be punished by having allocations pulled first. I can’t imagine Eltham or Macleod fall into that catergory.
No umpires at all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were not standing near me during the 1s then....haha

Does anyone else think the vfl system is a bit of a joke? It must be pretty deflating for a local footy club recruiter to do all the hard work in the off-season and bring a guy in from the bush or wherever only for a vfl club to poach him because their scout watched a half and thought said player would be a good top up to their list.

Does anyone else think the vfl system is a bit of a joke? It must be pretty deflating for a local footy club recruiter to do all the hard work in the off-season and bring a guy in from the bush or wherever only for a vfl club to poach him because their scout watched a half and thought said player would be a good top up to their list.

I think the imminent demise of the VFL will change this landscape in 2024.

But I agree, its a joke. In my opinion (and it's not a popular one) players should only be able to play in one competition, if they select VFL then that's where they play, if they have a bye they take a week off if they get dropped they run water or whatever.....

I don't care if there is a bye or someone is dropped. You selected VFL as what you wanted to do you cannot come in and play local footy.

May as well have someone missing from say a Div 1 side get dropped and be allowed to play for a Div 3 side.

All this could be amended by the League but some of the bigger clubs that have huge interests with VFL would genuinely block the notion, they like the 3-game ready for finals VFL bloke (and some lad obviously misses out).....I hate it.

But as I said with the probable demise of the VFL in 2024 this could all change.

I think the imminent demise of the VFL will change this landscape in 2024.

But I agree, its a joke. In my opinion (and it's not a popular one) players should only be able to play in one competition, if they select VFL then that's where they play, if they have a bye they take a week off if they get dropped they run water or whatever.....

I don't care if there is a bye or someone is dropped. You selected VFL as what you wanted to do you cannot come in and play local footy.

May as well have someone missing from say a Div 1 side get dropped and be allowed to play for a Div 3 side.

All this could be amended by the League but some of the bigger clubs that have huge interests with VFL would genuinely block the notion, they like the 3-game ready for finals VFL bloke (and some lad obviously misses out).....I hate it.

But as I said with the probable demise of the VFL in 2024 this could all change.
No VFL reserves doesn’t help your idea

There are NFNL clubs that have players missing Reserves matches each week. Not having a Third grade doesn’t help their cause.

I agree with the above poster that if you choose a club, then that’s where you play. It’s a shame if they miss a game, but it’s also a shame if someone comes back to a local club that has very little association with that club, and forces someone out that’s either been there for years, trained their arse off over the summer and pre-season or both.

What’s the league not supplying umpires got to do with Clubs?
You must be joking.

What’s the league not supplying umpires got to do with Clubs?
You must be joking.

If your club had 5 complaints in regards to umpire abuse last year and when doing allocation you are 1 game short of suggest the teams responsible for the most abuse miss out.

Either way it’s not good as every game needs to have umpires. It’s unsafe not to

If your club had 5 complaints in regards to umpire abuse last year and when doing allocation you are 1 game short of suggest the teams responsible for the most abuse miss out.

Either way it’s not good as every game needs to have umpires. It’s unsafe not to
In my comp, all reserve grades are umpired by club umpires and it’s very safe.

We even have senior games where goal and boundary umpires are club umpires. Again very safe.

Yes there is some controversy, but let’s be honest it’s just a game not world war 3.

i agree, its a league issue though, not a club issue, as you said i doubt Eltham and Macleod have bad records.

i agree, its a league issue though, not a club issue, as you said i doubt Eltham and Macleod have bad records.
The league need to find umpires it’s a disgrace the fees rise every year but umpires lessen.

Clubs who abuse umpires need to be punished with huge fines and use that money to find replacements. It needs to stop. Some leagues are having nearly 50% of their umpires quit every year.

Speaking to people involved the junior abuse basically halts any progression as most quit due to it. We are seeing howlers in the AFL but people expect perfect umpiring at this level?

The league need to have a zero tolerance policy and start punishing clubs severely.

The league need to find umpires it’s a disgrace the fees rise every year but umpires lessen.

Clubs who abuse umpires need to be punished with huge fines and use that money to find replacements. It needs to stop. Some leagues are having nearly 50% of their umpires quit every year.

Speaking to people involved the junior abuse basically halts any progression as most quit due to it. We are seeing howlers in the AFL but people expect perfect umpiring at this level?

The league need to have a zero tolerance policy and start punishing clubs severely.
I doubt many clubs tolerate abuse these days.

So apart from the league making a lot of money what do you think it will fix?

Because Johnny over the fence may not give a crap about the club and no one can force Johnny to leave public facilities so then what? Should the already stretched volunteers at every club become security as well? Not a simple fix unfortunately. But yes it needs to be fixed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back