Most improved after 6 rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Opium

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 1, 2023
AFL Club
Carlton
Wanted to start a discussion after 6 rounds of the season. Who has improved and taken the next step?

I'll nominate Brodie Kemp.

I think he has come on in leaps and bound in a short period. Only played 26 games and usually given the responsibility of the second best forward. I don't believe he's been beaten by his opponent all season.

Last edited:

TDK last three weeks have been elite. He is on fire.

Boyd is a gun.

E Hollands is showing his ability. (Improved vs Gold Coast)

McKay is in career best form.

Kemp has been much better. Not trying to be super man.

Cripps is in much better form than last year.

Not that it’s the thread but biggest drop off was Cerra pre injury. Hope the version we had last year is back soon.

George Hewett's left foot (to Kennedy to a Curnow contest, and the crumb and a snap on his right foot from de Koning...).

So, George Hewett's left foot, in short.

Most improved based on last year's form: Harry McKay by a mile. He's just been incredible.

Who has taken the next step in their career: Matthew Cottrell. What a player he's becoming. The commentary team was suggesting that we need to somehow get the ball into his hands more often during the game against GWS because he's just so damaging. I can't believe it's the same player who started with us as a preseason supplementary player who wasn't mentioned on a single draft board that year.

Backs: Kemp - looks comfortable at the level. His 1-on-1 issues are rapidly improving. Reads the play so well and great mark.

Midfielders: Cripps - incredibly, he was not at his best in 2023 despite our team doing well. Cripps and Walsh are an incredible midfield duo to build around. If Cerra can get back to his best...just wow.

Rucks: TDK - still a slightly below average tap ruckman but his marking, goals and round the ground work have been excellent.

Forwards: McKay - the big one. The big boy. He's having a career year. So big, so consistent, so versatile as a pinch hit ruck, wingman and key forward. If Charlie's delivery was better to McKay he would be kicking 1-2 extra goals per match. Hopefully they work on that chemistry because they're the most talented duo...but Hawkins/Cameron have better chemistry and connection.

Hewett has been incredible as the defensive sweeper. I reckon last year he was still recovering from his back injury.

Walsh has only played 2 games, but he's kicked on from where he left off last year - the best player of the finals series.

McKay, Cottrell and Kemp all playing well. McGovern was in career best form prior to the hamstring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

adding a 'turn-over' element to our game.

means we can dominate at stoppage but also have options and gears.

The problem with Hoyne's assertion re turnover is that it presupposes the game does not change or go through stages.

H is arguably in the top 5 or so players in the comp.
Oh and Jordan Boyd and the cult figure Matty Hulk Cottrell. "Role players"...

Cottrell

Every. Time. He. Touches. The. Ball. Something. Good. Happens.

And has proven (Vs North) that he'll gladly sacrifice his own game and drop into a defensive role and excel there too.

Kempy progressing well

Hewett healthier than last year. .

Boyd has maintained the level he showed in the prelim. Becoming Mr Consistent.

Most improved?

Boyd/Cottrell - both are becoming damaging players with ball in hand and some space to work with.
There was a couple of times on Saturday when Cott’s showed some fantastic poise when surrounded by multiple players in traffic, no rushed decisions or dish offs found the gaps to step and manoeuver his way through…

It’s something I’ve never seen him do before in that type of particular situation, if this is the next layer to his game he will become a much better rounded player…

adding a 'turn-over' element to our game.

means we can dominate at stoppage but also have options and gears.

The problem with Hoyne's assertion re turnover is that it presupposes the game does not change or go through stages.

H is arguably in the top 5 or so players in the comp.
Oh and Jordan Boyd and the cult figure Matty Hulk Cottrell. "Role players"...

I do understand the game goes through ebs and flows and changes pace, but how the hell is not winniing centre clearance and kicking a goal from it the best way of winning? Is it because it's unrealistic to expect us to do that all day?

More importantly, the topic.

Cottrell
Kemp
Boyd
TDK

I do understand the game goes through ebs and flows and changes pace, but how the hell is not winniing centre clearance and kicking a goal from it the best way of winning? Is it because it's unrealistic to expect us to do that all day?

More importantly, the topic.

Cottrell
Kemp
Boyd
TDK
Hoyne’s contention is that scores from turnover is a more sustainable profile for success because… well recent history.
It’s just recency bias.

Agree wholeheartedly with your list on an individual basis, but the biggest improvement imo is the adding of layers Voss was talk8ng about for chunks of last year.

Not one mention of Ollie Holland's?

Physically bigger and impacting more contests. Finds himself at plenty of contests and works hard all game.

Ollie’s workrate has been good this year, it’s the overall quality of his games this year just being not to the level of last year, thought there were good signs this weekend towards the level he consistently played at last season…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back