Autopsy 2024 Rd 6 Premiership Quarter Blue Blitz hands Giants their first loss

Who played well for the Blues in Round 6 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In rewatching the game, we really outplayed them all day. Smashed them in the middle. Throughout their run on we had opportunities to break the run but didn't take relatively easy opportunities. Kicking those points just gave them the ball and they were able to get it into their end of the ground. GWS kicking was incredible early the number of pinpoint pass marked right on the boundary was frustrating

CC should have kicked a bag.

Same with H who had a nearly day. He must have got his hands wrapped around the ball at least 6 times. Definition of a mark has changed so much since the days of GAs winning mark of the year for touching it 3 times. Pretty sure he had a free 30 out but Eli took advantage and sprayed it (wasn't evident from the replay) and was very stiff with the 50 against him when the umpire didn't call play on after 2 steps off the line. Not H's fault the giant lacked awareness

TDK's best game as a Blue. He failed to punish Gollant last weeks but was great in the ruck this week and provided the extra target without getting in the way.

The big difference this week is we were finding uncontested targets I50 rather than just the Krakens. Need to keep lowering the eyes every week.

One thing we need to reduce is the number of times we are tackled in front of goal to give a free. Initiate the tackle right away, handball backwards/sideways to numbers or punt it towards the boundary outside 50. 3 times this week same in the Freo game.

GLuVhTxaAAAGI44

What do we make of Fanta? 6 touches, no scores and no tackles. Is he just a total shadow of his former self after injuries?
Did lead the game with 17 pressure acts. Ollie Hollands was next with 15.

I'd say he is still finding his feet after a long time out. Think we will get more out of him the 2nd half of the year. Might need a run in the twos to help find his old touch but we have run out of players.

Thought Cowan was great for most of the game. Really showed he's got something. His kick off 1 step from outside 50 had me excited too, would love for us to finally have someone able to uncork a 55m goal from seemingly nothing.

Weiters was obviously hobbled after that cork. He didn't get exposed though, not sure whether that's luck or his smart positioning. He has enough runs on the board I'll give him the credit.

One of Cripps best games. Walsh being back in the side very clearly helps him, but I think he wound back the years with that game. Not saying he's old but he was moving much better getting from contest to contest and being involved in the link play. Even his kicking looked elite at times, not a word used for his feet often but he hit a couple that were excellent.

That might be one of the best mid/forward connection games we've played for a long time. There must have been a big, concerted effort to lower the eyes this week and try to spot up short open targets instead of just blasting everything long and it certainly paid off.

I've said I'm not a supporter of the 2 rucks as TDK gets lost as the 2 ruck given he's not a very good forward so finds it hard to impact. If he actually can find some forward craft, as he did on the weekend, then it can work. It was a promising step but I want to see him do it again now. If he works up forward then it's huge. We know Pitto is better for the contested game, if TDK is able to impact as a 2 ruck/forward then that's huge.

Thought Cowan was great for most of the game. Really showed he's got something. His kick off 1 step from outside 50 had me excited too, would love for us to finally have someone able to uncork a 55m goal from seemingly nothing.
He had a huge diving effort in the centre square in the last quarter got his hand on the ball, stopped them clearing it, we got it back forward.
Was very happy with his game.

Coaches' Votes

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
8 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
5 -
Josh Kelly (GWS)
3 - Tom De Koning (CARL)
3 - Marc Pittonet (CARL)
1 - Matthew Kennedy (CARL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing would give me more joy than seeing Cripps and Voss hold up the premiership cup one day. Cripps will go down as one of the all time great Carlton players, captains and people. Just oozes leadership. Jump on his back boys, he'll show you the way.

As you can tell, I love Cripps
I have been waiting forever, through tears of frustration for many years for no.17 just like a hell of a lot of us … Cripps deserves a premiership with us way more than any player in our club’s history. (Probably because all the other great players of his calibre have actually won one … with us or someone else … thinking Judd)

I understand the modern game is turnovers but we look so much better when we win clearances through the middle.

I get we’ve tried to get a better balance through the first part of the season but when we go beast mode I’m not sure anyone can stop us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think this beast mode should only come out for crucial games, or crucial times … it’s not sustainable but can be called upon when needed … it’s a balance … long season.

I think this beast mode should only come out for crucial games, or crucial times … it’s not sustainable but can be called upon when needed … it’s a balance … long season.
Agreed, being able to flick the switch mid game will be the key if we find ourselves in a spot of bother. Against GWS we were dominating out of the packs the whole match but our movement wasn't slick. It is when we are not dominating out of the packs the ability to flick the switch when required will be the key.

Weiters was obviously hobbled after that cork. He didn't get exposed though, not sure whether that's luck or his smart positioning. He has enough runs on the board I'll give him the credit.

One of Cripps best games. Walsh being back in the side very clearly helps him, but I think he wound back the years with that game. Not saying he's old but he was moving much better getting from contest to contest and being involved in the link play. Even his kicking looked elite at times, not a word used for his feet often but he hit a couple that were excellent.

That might be one of the best mid/forward connection games we've played for a long time. There must have been a big, concerted effort to lower the eyes this week and try to spot up short open targets instead of just blasting everything long and it certainly paid off.

I've said I'm not a supporter of the 2 rucks as TDK gets lost as the 2 ruck given he's not a very good forward so finds it hard to impact. If he actually can find some forward craft, as he did on the weekend, then it can work. It was a promising step but I want to see him do it again now. If he works up forward then it's huge. We know Pitto is better for the contested game, if TDK is able to impact as a 2 ruck/forward then that's huge.

TDK was just on MMM, said he feels fresh as after a couple of weeks playing forward/ruck. Was very sore after every game playing the ruck one out, food for thought hey

Also said when asked how many he’d kick on Sam, “kick 6 then reassess at half time”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we could keep a half decent injury list we’d be able to “manage” him and others, that’s the biggest issue with a season and injury list as long as ours.

He could go beast mode for a stretch, then rest up, then go again

☹️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thought Kingsley was a bit of a 🐓 in press conference after the game. Sooking it up that Toby is targeted by umpires, probably lucky it was only a week suspension. The way Toby was playing with his toys all over the floor thought it was only a matter of time before he did something stupid.

Did lead the game with 17 pressure acts. Ollie Hollands was next with 15.

I'd say he is still finding his feet after a long time out. Think we will get more out of him the 2nd half of the year. Might need a run in the twos to help find his old touch but we have run out of players.
Someone in one of these threads described Ollie Hollands as showing up continually. I was just watching some highlights and it’s a pretty accurate description, he is always in the frame.

Whatever the stat sheet has shown over past weeks, he’s been at the contest constantly. Makes it a lot easy to be patient when he’s not finding the pill regularly.

Thought Kingsley was a bit of a 🐓 in press conference after the game. Sooking it up that Toby is targeted by umpires, probably lucky it was only a week suspension. The way Toby was playing with his toys all over the floor thought it was only a matter of time before he did something stupid.

‘It’s hard being Toby’

Seriously Adam 🙄

Back