Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie was putrid in the last. His inability to even halve a number of contests was a significant reason why we were beaten.
Lacks intent at the moment. Some say he’s carrying something, we’ll maybe so, but when your out there you’re out there.
If you can run and jump for a mark with intent then it should be expected in your defensive efforts also.
For all the miraculous, his ordinary is very ordinary.
His kicking a prime example, for every elite kick, it has a scrubber partner.
He needs to bridge the gap between his extraordinary and his ordinary.
This times 1000. I absolutely love Charlie but his defensive intent was nowhere to be seen. Didn't want to tackle, didn't want to chase. It was insipid. Most of the people around me in the crowd were saying the same thing and even wanting him moved to the back line to get him into the game. Not good enough from one of our leaders.

This times 1000. I absolutely love Charlie but his defensive intent was nowhere to be seen. Didn't want to tackle, didn't want to chase. It was insipid. Most of the people around me in the crowd were saying the same thing and even wanting him moved to the back line to get him into the game. Not good enough from one of our leaders.

Coaches need to have a hard word to Curnow on multiple fronts.

His defensive efforts are consistently missing. Body language is not positive when its not going his way.

And he needs to get further up in the ground when he's not having an impact in the goalsquare.

He kept trying to take Darcy Moore to the goalsquare when it was obvious that he was never going to beat him 1 on 1.

Just not smart football.

Really………

Open window to the box, most likely coping advice from the outside mutants about his sons “ability” and other “things” all night.

His son seals the game for the team he obviously adores, has played a legendary career with, and he gives them back a bit of “get that up ya”……

Seriously, the world we live in now……..
He acted like a knob IMVHO
Let's agree to disagree

In this case, it was an outcome of numbers at the footy. They had +2 or +3 more often than not. Was that strategy or effort? Based on Voss's presser, sounds like the former.
Our tackling effectiveness compared to theirs was absolutely s***house on the night

Many moments or aspects that we can dissect that work well and those that don't. This week was different to previous games

I thought our intensity and pressure was subpar, compared to the Pies

That difference, played out with how clean they were with more time to assess options, an area we struggled with and our composure was poor

That's an easy fix if the players as a collective have better buy-in this week

As for Voss, I admire that he is sticking fat in trying to evolve our gameplan, but it's a fine line if you can't blend the finished product and continue to have a foot in each camp

Everyone is aware that our strength is being brutal at the stoppage, but the turnover game is more sustainable

100%

So please answer me this question

If Pendlebury et al don't have eyes on the ball, if they are looking at their opponent while blocking them, why is that not a free kick, in the same way as a defender who doesn't have eyes on the ball???????????????????????????
I've been aching for an answer to this too. Seems everyone either turns a blind eye or doesn't have an answer.

So please answer me this question

If Pendlebury et al don't have eyes on the ball, if they are looking at their opponent while blocking them, why is that not a free kick, in the same way as a defender who doesn't have eyes on the ball???????????????????????????
I've been aching for an answer to this too. Seems everyone either turns a blind eye or doesn't have an answer.
Genuine question - Is there a rule that states you must keep your eyes on the ball in the marking contest ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All that stop Crippa stuff says to me is that the other on ballers weren't up to it - which is why leaving Kenendy out was a nonsense in the first place.

Do something different - send Cripps up forward - start the on ballers closer to the centre circle for ball ups - tell the in ballers to rough there opponents and block there run to the ball - anything, don’t think do!!!!!

Do something different - send Cripps up forward - start the on ballers closer to the centre circle for ball ups - tell the in ballers to rough there opponents and block there run to the ball - anything, don’t think do!!!!!

Exactly! ...allowing a team to beat you the same way all game - without changing hings up - and you get 3 quarter breaks to talk about it as well as bench time next to the coach? as well as all the assistant coaches up in teh coaches box? and all teh tech they have at their disposal?

Carlton need to smarten up - I think Voss realised he was played like a rope a dope (again) - hopefully he learns a few things and stops being so arrogant thinking Carlton's "one wood" tap it to Crippa" is going to be all he has to plan for.

as soon as Collingwodo went to teh surround the contests caper- there should have been a system wide response - what Collingwodo did - isnt rocket science nor was it unpredictable, nor was it the first time ever employed against Carlton..

FFS I was so so angry watching the game....because of all the nuffery on display

The former, Voss got out coached and failed to even up numbers at the contest
It's interesting the dichotomy of coaching.

Vs Fremantle he held the line and backed in our system and didn't change majorly to adapt to what they were doing and eventually We wrestled the game back in our favour. He was praised then for being brave enough to back in our system eventually leading to the win.

Against Collingwood he does the same and we lose to a goal on the siren essentially, so this time backing in the system is poor coaching.

2 games, same philosophy and approach, but different results means different perceptions of coaching ability.

Vs Fremantle he held the line and backed in our system and didn't change majorly to adapt to what they were doing and eventually We wrestled the game back in our favour. He was praised then for being brave enough to back in our system eventually leading to the win.

Against Collingwood he does the same and we lose to a goal on the siren essentially, so this time backing in the system is poor coaching.

2 games, same philosophy and approach, but different results means different perceptions of coaching ability.

That is ok in a world where in game responses to opposition tactics and setups are never required- I dont think that is realistic. Moer importantly I think it asks too little of the coaches AND the players- to only have one way of doing everything all the time - against anybody. - smacks of naive form of arrogance- expecting 4 Carlton mids to beat 6-7 opposition...

Really………

Open window to the box, most likely coping advice from the outside mutants about his sons “ability” and other “things” all night.

His son seals the game for the team he obviously adores, has played a legendary career with, and he gives them back a bit of “get that up ya”……

Seriously, the world we live in now……..

Agree, faux outrage

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That is ok in a world where in game responses to opposition tactics and setups are never required- I dont think that is realistic. Moer importantly I think it asks too little of the coaches AND the players- to only have one way of doing everything all the time - against anybody. - smacks of naive form of arrogance- expecting 4 Carlton mids to beat 6-7 opposition...
That's one perspective, another could be that the game was tied with us going inside 50 with 90 seconds to go and if his key forward doesn't inexplicably pull a 40 metre kick into a nest of magpies in the middle of the field then there's a very good chance we win and his decision to hold the line instead of changing is viewed differently.

Agree, faux outrage

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not faux outrage at all, it was very poor on his part. If you said that to him I'm sure that with the benefit of hindsight, he'd agree. It was a terrible look for him, especially knowing the type of person he is, he'd be embarrassed by it.

No, Pies should have won by a fair bit more, missed how many easy ones in the last?

He's recovering from severe knee bruising during pre-season, played okay for Sandy last week and will get another game this arvo before possible senior selection next week.
It will still take awhile to settle in and gather confidence at a new club. I'd expect him to be a regular mid before the byes.

The obsession people have with Dow ffs. He’s been injured all season, do people think he will make saints a flag contender when he is back?

Sack Voss
Sack Cripps
Sack Walsh
Sack Curnow
Move Harry down to the half back flank to free him up
Trade Weitering for a late second rounder
And play the kids for the rest of the year. Yeah play the kids

Get a grip everyone. We will probably still be inside the eight by the end of this round. And for those “switching off for the rest of the year” or handing in your memberships, when we start wining and make finals this year (which we will), you will be charged triple what every other loyal

I suspect he thought that it was going to be a hard slog through the midfield for three quarters and a close game up until that point and wanted a fresh big body in the final quarter to dominate the midfield to get us acorss the line. It’s not completely without sense
Yes a bit like playing Fife as sub..... similar traits, bit slow, great overhead, hard headed..

That's one perspective, another could be that the game was tied with us going inside 50 with 90 seconds to go and if his key forward doesn't inexplicably pull a 40 metre kick into a nest of magpies in the middle of the field then there's a very good chance we win and his decision to hold the line instead of changing is viewed differently.
Agree with that - except that a win would not have negated the negatives being commented on - allowing Collingwood to strangle the ball as much as they did - should not have been possible or allowed.

Back