Autopsy Mid Table Freo beats Mid Table Bulldogs 95-71

Remove this Banner Ad

English was one of, if not our best. Anyone that can’t see it is blinded by the fact our midfield were s**t and let him down anytime he got his hand to a hitout.

23 disposals
7 marks
6 Tackles
11 Contested disposals
6 Clearances
28 hitouts
1.2 (3 shots on goal)

No sane person gives the chocolates to Darcy.
Just after I read this there was a loud banging at the door. When I opened it up there were these men in white coats. Before I could say anything they had put me in a straitjacket and sedated me. I woke up in the lunatic asylum in a padded cell with this other bloke who looked a bit familiar. Well, a lot familiar really.

He said "dogwatch! what are YOU doing here? You're not a nut case!" I nodded "yeah I know, but I said Sean Darcy had been better in the ruck contests than English despite English being better around the ground. I should have realised nobody reads past the first few words. Nobody does nuance. The coup de grace was Charlie B declaring in his I-will-not-be-contradicted sort of way 'No sane person gives the chocolates to Darcy'. Next thing I know there's this loud banging at the door and ... well, here I am."

"How about you?" I said. "I know you divide opinion at times but I definitely wouldn't have called you a nutter."

He gave me one of those familiar withering looks that he usually saves for journos. "The bastards pinged me on a technicality. Something about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Why do they have to be so f******g literal? Don't they understand figures of speech?"

We both nodded sadly and sat pondering the floor for a couple of minutes.

Then we looked up at each other, stood and took a couple of awkward steps toward each other and embraced.

Last edited:
I don’t get the Richards into the midfield move. Why lose your best running defender to gain a fourth best midfielder?

I disagree, current trends indicate speed and good ball use are integral to a good functioning midfield. We need a player like Richards in the middle to compliment our other mids as we transition to a faster, more dynamic game style. Ideally we transition Bont into a more forward role (or Libba or both) but we need players capable of filling their role.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hoo boy, I can’t stand his old man in the commentary box but that Darcy jnr is a Sherrin hoover.

I’m really going to enjoy watching him as he starts to put some meat on that preying mantis frame.

I can easily see him being a top 5 player in the comp.
If junior is anywhere near as good on the field as senior is bad in the commentatoe box, you and the rest of the comp should prepare to be reamed....roughly and regularly 🤣

Keath certainly would have been better than Buku, maybe not JOD. Depends where we think we are at.

Would Keath have been better than Buss tonight, maybe but one has a potential higher ceiling and there is not much difference in their VFL form, both doing well

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Again bullshit, Keith hasn’t beaten anyone in 3 years. Khamis and O’Donnell fought hard considering our lazy onballers did not get back to help out. Your looking at the wrong players, Freo flooded back and clogged up our forward line , we did not.

Just after I read this there was a loud banging at the door. When I opened it up there were these men in white coats. Before I could say anything they had put me in a straitjacket and sedated me. I woke up in the lunatic asylum in a padded cell with this other bloke who looked a bit familiar. Well, a lot familiar really.

He said "dogwatch! what are YOU doing here? You're not a nut case!" I nodded "yeah I know, but I said Sean Darcy had been better in the ruck contests than English despite English being better around the ground. I should have realised nobody reads past the first few words. Nobody does nuance. The coup de grace was Charlie B declaring in his I-will-not-be-contradicted sort of way 'No sane person gives the chocolates to Darcy'. Next thing I know there's this loud banging at the door and ... well, here I am."

"How about you?" I said. "I know you divide opinion at times but I definitely wouldn't have called you a nutter."

He gave me one of those familiar withering looks that he usually saves for journos. "The bastards pinged me on a technicality. Something about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Why do they have to be so f******g literal? Don't they understand figures of speech?"

Then we looked up at each other, stood and took a couple of awkward steps toward each other and embraced.
I hope they let both of you out on day release

I hope they let both of you out on day release
I've put in a plea for the whole weekend actually. I've got to do the Pieman. And my cellmate also has busy weekends.

The rest of the week it should be quite nice in here.

I've put in a plea for the whole weekend actually. I've got to do the Pieman. And my cellmate also has busy weekends.

The rest of the week it should be quite nice in here.
Whatever the other guy has to do, it couldn't be more important than that....

If you get stuck and need a character reference.......I've already forgotten about your intemperate outburst of 2 days ago🤣

Whatever the other guy has to do, it couldn't be more important than that....

If you get stuck and need a character reference.......I've already forgotten about your intemperate outburst of 2 days ago🤣
I'll be fine thanks. Save your character references for Rhylee.

Bullshit, if you think we lost because Richards played in the middle, that’s the future, you literally have no clue, try looking at senior players like Daniel, Mcrae and Lobb who are finished at the top level.

You clearly didn’t bother looking at the post I responded to.

I thought English was outstanding and covered the ground miles better than Darcy, influencing the game. He was marginally (not wholly) defeated in ruck contests and his goalkicking accuracy let him down a little, but he was one of our best.

6 clearances (2nd most for the team)
4 intercept possessions (equal 5th team)
372 metres gained (4th most in team, only the 3 running half backs had more)
Only 2 turnovers from 23 touches
11 contested ball
4FF vs 1FA
23 touches @ 74%

Sean Darcy was absolutely not best on ground for his inability to prevent English's influence on the game in general transition play like I outline above - English spent most of the game getting to the ball before Darcy could/did.

English getting out tapped marginally against the bloke who was probably the best pure tap ruckman over the last two years (even better than Gawn) is hard to win but not entirely unexpected.

English has become a whipping bou around here and I'm really not sure, given we all know the type of player he is by now, why the expectations are so unrealistic? He had an outstanding game if he was a midfielder with those stats. He competed as well as can be expected and probably better against a good tap ruck that has outtapped most the league.

Sure. No point arguing with most of that.

But go back 4 or 5 pages from here and look at the game stats (as posted by Oliver G ), the one glaring 'mis-match' was "first possession".
(* Edit: Darcy v. Darcy was 4-3 clearances Freo's way.
Darcy v. English 28-19 Freo's way).

And no, of course it's not squarely on the shoulders of English...
...and I'm anything other than an old skool guy, but if a ruckman isn't giving his midfielder first use... ??

Last edited:

A happy ending. Phew!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure. No point arguing with most of that.

But go back 4 or 5 pages from here and look at the game stats (as posted by Oliver G ), the one glaring 'mis-match' was "first possession".
(* Edit: Darcy v. Darcy was 4-3 clearances Freo's way.
Darcy v. English 28-19 Freo's way).

And no, of course it's not squarely on the shoulders of English...
...and I'm anything other than an old skool guy, but if a ruckman isn't giving his midfielder first use... ??
I dont care what stats say, int he centre square Tim is a liability. His second efforts are sometimes non existent and his physciality is pathetic at times. He isn't strong, darcy man handled him, tim needed to watch the ball and jump at it in the centre bounces, rather than try and out body and step around him. He does not use his athletic ability to his advatage in ruck contests.

Last edited:

You need to get Scrag to (sparingly) inject some of his erotic prose, and you 2 will have the makings of a Miles Franklin contender.

I saw something quite strange last night at the game and still not sure exactly what happened.

At one point Vanders ran over to the bench after a goal and had an animated conversation with the trainer / doctor and pointed towards Garcia. The trainer / doctor then ran out to Garcia and talked to him for a good 45 seconds or so until the play was re-starting and then ran off, went past Laitham and said something quickly before heading back to the bench.

My best guess was Vandermeer saying he thought Garcia may be concussed or something and was concerned for him, but was just one of those bizarre things that you pick up at the game that I thought was pretty interesting.

Bullshit, if you think we lost because Richards played in the middle, that’s the future, you literally have no clue, try looking at senior players like Daniel, Mcrae and Lobb who are finished at the top level.
Why do those guys bear more responsibility than players like Buku and Bramble who had quite poor games?

I've kind of given in to the point that the club won't have the balls to sack Bevo so early into the season so how do we go from here, I think we have to rest Bont this week man looks like the walking dead out there at the moment, reckon there was more to the ankle tweak against GC then we thought, give him a rest play some kids we probably get Libba back so we should be alright.

Now as far as the list goes idk there are a lot of passengers on the list so we have to work out how to weasel them out and cut them.

Love this man and his commitment to death.. but seriously mate, this isn’t what the fans want to hear.

How many times do we need to learn?

IMG_2847.jpeg

English was one of, if not our best. Anyone that can’t see it is blinded by the fact our midfield were s**t and let him down anytime he got his hand to a hitout.

23 disposals
7 marks
6 Tackles
11 Contested disposals
6 Clearances
28 hitouts
1.2 (3 shots on goal)

No sane person gives the chocolates to Darcy.
He was good Charlie , he just can’t ruck.
He is a tall midfielder.

Love this man and his commitment to death.. but seriously mate, this isn’t what the fans want to hear.

How many times do we need to learn?

View attachment 1973878
Jones is approaching 200 games but I reckon Khamis (16 games) and O'Donnell (15) would have learned a bit from it.

I disagree, current trends indicate speed and good ball use are integral to a good functioning midfield. We need a player like Richards in the middle to compliment our other mids as we transition to a faster, more dynamic game style. Ideally we transition Bont into a more forward role (or Libba or both) but we need players capable of filling their role.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I think we got somewhat spoiled by the fact Bont and Macrae both developed so rapidly in the midfield. We will now have to witness a more realistic time frame of development for guys like Richards, Sanders, Garcia and West to eventually occupy these roles, which will require a much longer teething process.

Richards is not going to step in and suddenly rack up 12 clearances and average a goal a game out of the middle. It’ll take time but he’s got the traits for the prototype of the modern midfielder.

Sure there are plenty of other reasons why we lost, but that’s yet another game where the opposition covered more distance than us. We’re now 1-6 for the year on head-to-head distance covered with the Geelong game the only time we covered more ground than the opposition.

Wasn’t this meant to Bevo’s most fit and most ready team in his whole time at the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back