List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2024 - Blues set to be active!

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question - has any club found a player in mid season draft other than a mid or HB that has gone on to be an AFL regular?
Notable Draftees from the past 5 drafts (since re-introduction) that are still at their club and playing at least semi-regularly (or played frequently until delisted).

• Marlion Pickett (MID/Wing)
  • John Noble (Small DEF)
  • Will Snelling (Small FWD) delisted end-2023
  • Ryan Gardner (Key DEF)

no draft held

• Jai Newcombe (MID)
  • Ash Johnson (3rd tall FWD)
  • Patrick Parnell (Small DEF)
  • Ned Moyle (RUCK)
  • Sam Durham (MID/Wing)
  • Jed McEntee (Small FWD)
  • Jordan Boyd (Small DEF)
  • Cooper Sharman (3rd Tall FWD/Key FWD)

• Massimo D'Ambrosio (Small DEF/Wing)
  • Kallan Dawson (Key DEF)
  • James Blanck (Key DEF)
  • Jye Menzie (Small FWD)
  • Max Ramsden (RUCK/Key FWD)

2023 (very early to call)
  • Ryan Maric (3rd tall FWD/Key FWD)
  • Brandon Ryan (Key FWD)

There is definitely value out there, so long as it is the right player landing in the right situation - which is what this draft is intended for. Otherwise the rest are project players and/or busts that have been delisted.

Boom or bust - might as well gamble for the price of a 6 month contract.

If we are looking for players to impact straight away and fill some holes I would be watching

Brodie McLaughlin (former GCS KPF/Back up ruck) Not massive but can play 3rd forward and second ruck. 26 years old. He's a goer that can kick a goal

Trent Bianco. Fmr Pie with good skils and leg speed. 23 years old and can play Wing/HB

Phoenix Spicer. X factor forward who has the skills (maturity & effort the question)

Tom Highmore. Former Saint and good tall defender. 26 years old

Baker Smith. 21 years old Key defender at Port Melbourne. Great mark

If we want to look internally we have Liam McMahon (Tall mobile forward) Heath Ramshaw (Mid) Lachie Young (3rd defender)

All are playing VFL so should get a good idea of how they are going over next 2 months

McLaughlin is an interesting one, dominated at GC in the 2s but never got a game and then didn’t get picked up, i am surprised a side like ours or Geelong who have two established forwards wouldn’t have a look for insurance.

Was there something else that put clubs off?

Hawthorn shenanigans, you’re allowed to put a price on your head in the MSD.

The price was too much for some, money and contract length

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

19-YEAR-OLDS SHINE IN CHASE FOR SPOTS

GEELONG Falcons forward Will McLachlan has jumped into mid-season draft contention with a run of early form in the Coates Talent League.

McLachlan, who was overlooked last season, is a medium forward and has kicked 11 goals across the past two weeks.

His six-goal haul against Murray Bushrangers on Sunday showed his marking strength and natural goal sense and saw him take his season tally to 13 goals so far in 2024.

Will McLachlan flies for a mark during the Coates Talent League match between Geelong Falcons and GWV Rebels at GMHBA Stadium on March 28, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
He is one of a batch of players who were first eligible for last year's draft and are now shooting for a mid-season shot, including fellow Falcons runner Liam Kershaw, who has averaged 19 disposals at the start of the season, while Bendigo talent Deyton Uerata has also caught interest as a midfielder/forward who has some exciting attributes.

Key defender Cooper Trembath, ruckmen Joe Pike and Jordan Doherty, tall forward Remy MacLean and versatile Tasmanian prospect Geordie Payne are among the others on recruiters' radars as potential mid-season options. South Australian Noah Howes is another to have been looked at as a potential MSD candidate.

Oliver Poole, Iliro Smit, Lewis Robbins and Ben Hopkins are other prospects who could feature in Young Guns squads ahead of the mid-season draft. – Callum Twomey

They hid him, then he put a huge $ on himself so that only Hawthorn would pick him up. Was dodgy as *.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

When we say hid, how’d they hide him in his draft year? Did he not play VFL in the lead up to the MSD or the year before? I remember the price he put on his head, but surely everyone else would have seen enough of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we say hid, how’d they hide him in his draft year? Did he not play VFL in the lead up to the MSD or the year before? I remember the price he put on his head, but surely everyone else would have seen enough of him.

Clubs knew of him, just a late developer

Off the top of my head, he had a "down" year prior to being picked up.

I could be remembering wrong.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clubs knew of him, just a late developer

Is Kuipers on that list, the one in our VFL? Is this his first season with us?

George Grey small forward/mid

Jasper Scaife, liked him his draft year, surprised he wasn't picked up KPF

Lachlan Hosie, 189cm forward, can sniff a goal
Scaife from West Perth? Like the look of him. Kicked 4 goals last w/end too.

Hosie was rough to get cut from Norf IMO. Still offering a bit in the SANFL.

IMO you are much more likely to get a decent key defender more than any other type in this sort of draft. In the lower leagues the flashy forwards get away with a hell of a lot more than they do at AFL level because the defensive support from the flankers and pockets is just not there.

Any key back performing well should be looked at.

That is what we should be aiming for.

Can we give Sam Durdin a payout, ask him to retire and open up another list spot?

Taking the best key forward from a lower league and convert them into key back maybe?

McLaughlin is an interesting one, dominated at GC in the 2s but never got a game and then didn’t get picked up, i am surprised a side like ours or Geelong who have two established forwards wouldn’t have a look for insurance.

Was there something else that put clubs off?

He's not that tall so maybe that's it? I think he would be a great addition

Unless we know a hidden gem somewhere or a player that we want long term…

I’d pass on the MSD…

Most players want a 18 month contract, which would mean we’d have to delist more players at the end of the year…
I get you but IMO there's quite a few that are ooc at the end of the year that are at risk of being moved on regardless of what we do in the msd.

I get you but IMO there's quite a few that are ooc at the end of the year that are at risk of being moved on regardless of what we do in the msd.
List spots are going to be extremely tight… You’d want the MSD player to have more upside than someone we could rookie draft in…

List spots are going to be extremely tight… You’d want the MSD player to have more upside than someone we could rookie draft in…
That's fair.
Going off the oftentimes incorrect contract list on footywire, I wouldn't have too much difficulty in creating the required space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back