Autopsy 2024 Rd 7 Blues Go Down To Classy Cats In A Belter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s nowhere near fit enough to play the way we need to play, happy for him to build confidence and fitness in the twos.

We don’t need to play draft picks straight away nowadays, that’s actually a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Disagree.

He's been in a pro system since November....

It's May.

He doesn't need to run 14km+

A question, at what point is it actually ok to critique the umpires or suggest it may have been part of a reason for a loss?

I mean seriously question it, not just generally whinge like you see a lot. For example click on any AFL post about a games results and the top 5 comments will be something like "The umpires handed them the game". That's not what I mean.

I don't like to do it as it often is crass and wrong. It's a cheap dig at best most of the time.

However, in this games instance, when even the commentators live on air are saying "Gee Carlton are playing against 2 teams, the ones in hoops and the ones in green" after yet another non call or soft free to the other team. That goes beyond normal nitpicking or whinging that my team didn't get that one free kick I wanted. For commentators to comment on the state of the umpiring like that it needs to be to an egregious point, the AFL would very clearly have guidelines around commentary on umpires and you never hear them speak like that.

I know they talk about individual situations often, but broadly speaking like a fan essentially on the umpires being comically one sided in their calls is very rare.

Even writing this I'm wondering if I should bother. There're several other reasons we lost too - we probably didn't deserve the win and if we had it would have been lucky. However, the umpiring shouldn't be one of those reasons, though when it is at what point is that a fair thing to say? I think once the host broadcasters are making jokes about how bad it is then it's fair play.

Or is it?

Ive always believe that if you are close enough to lose because of umpiring, then you probably lost the game for other reasons too. Shouldnt be close enough for the umpires to matter.

Our goal kicking and delivery inside 50 was appalling, our depleted defence was opened up way too easily, and our players were falling over all over the place - especially defending. And then yes, there were some baffling decisions.

In: Cerra
Out: Binns
Carroll sub

We really should smash them at the clearances tomorrow night without Mitchell and De Goey.

Get it forwards of centre quickly and don't allow them to push back in numbers.

We simply should win.

Blues by 5 goals.
giphy.gif

Disagree.

He's been in a pro system since November....

It's May.

He doesn't need to run 14km+

It’s taken years to get the senior core to the level of fitness required to play this game style, he’s 6 months in after not being able to train a lot in his senior u18 year.

Nowhere near fit enough, nor is he banging down the door….yet

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carroll sub

We really should smash them at the clearances tomorrow night without Mitchell and De Goey.

We simply should win.

Blues by 5 goals.

Wrong thread!

Carroll sub

We simply should win.

Blues by 5 goals.

The issue with us at the moment isn’t clearances. It’s our turnover game and defending the turn over game. Collingwood will sacrifice clearances against us to get us on the turnover.

The issue with us at the moment isn’t clearances. It’s our turnover game and defending the turn over game. Collingwood will sacrifice clearances against us to get us on the turnover.
Depends on our forward pressure game. If we can lock it in deep forward, we shouldn't have many issues

Sure some contentious decisions were made, but Geelong's efficiency rating was off the charts.
How often are they going to produce that again. Clearly our defence was a contributor to that efficiency rating.
Our efficiency rating was not up to our standards and still with a little help they only won by 13 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back