Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

+

Re: Berry of whom I expected big things this year --- I have no idea what happened to him. He looked like he was ahead of Schoenberg (whose defensive efforts were weak) + Berry's tackling was elite.
Maybe the work that Burgess has put into him took the edge off and he'll bounce back next year?

Re: Rachele, who's an enigma to me, @1.79m and 84Kgs he looks and plays like a talented small forward to me. However, he can be selfish in general play and a bit of a lair, both aspects should improve with age.
Can anyone please explain why people tout him as a mid?
Butters @1.81m and 77Kgs plays ok as a mid.

Good on him. Been this bloke's biggest critic since we drafted him. Even when he was an 'All Australian' mid I'd have been happy to drop him/trade him. Didn't see the value.

Last six weeks of the year were the first time I did. Those six weeks were stronger than anything he served up at the alleged 'peak' of his career and (within what's achievable for someone with his athletic profile/play style) seemed to me a clear evolution and progression of his game and getting the best out of himself. Old dogs can learn new tricks. Bloody terrific.

Two years seems a little excessive, but if the salary is low and another club offered two, I get it.

Now to find the right balance in that midfield. A Crouch/Laird/Dawson midfield probably too much accumulation/not enough speed. Ok with it occasionally when the rotation forces it, but would mean the 4th guy needs to be proper nippy. I'd probably prefer to see Laird return to half back now. Bloke was a 2x AA player there, and as a midfielder he's just solid but accumulates. Crouch equally as influential in that distribution role, but Laird has a much better impact in another role than Crouch does and hard to play both. Would also mean the door isn't shut on a Berry type, who while he's regressed, wouldn't be able to play in a midfield with Crouch and Laird both in there.

Crouch & Dawson as the main two. Soligo/Rachele potentially being full time mid/fwd rotations as the third guy, with the 4th guy a licorice allsorts between Keays/Laird from HFF/HBF if we're desperate, Rankine or Pedlar pinch hitting, a SANFL guy who grows like Dowling or Berry if he can add a trick is probably where I'd go.

Good on him. Been this bloke's biggest critic since we drafted him. Even when he was an 'All Australian' mid I'd have been happy to drop him/trade him. Didn't see the value.

Last six weeks of the year were the first time I did. Those six weeks were stronger than anything he served up at the alleged 'peak' of his career and (within what's achievable for someone with his athletic profile/play style) seemed to me a clear evolution and progression of his game and getting the best out of himself. Old dogs can learn new tricks. Bloody terrific.

Two years seems a little excessive, but if the salary is low and another club offered two, I get it.

Now to find the right balance in that midfield. A Crouch/Laird/Dawson midfield probably too much accumulation/not enough speed. Ok with it occasionally when the rotation forces it, but would mean the 4th guy needs to be proper nippy. I'd probably prefer to see Laird return to half back now. Bloke was a 2x AA player there, and as a midfielder he's just solid but accumulates. Crouch equally as influential in that distribution role, but Laird has a much better impact in another role than Crouch does and hard to play both. Would also mean the door isn't shut on a Berry type, who while he's regressed, wouldn't be able to play in a midfield with Crouch and Laird both in there.

Crouch & Dawson as the main two. Soligo/Rachele potentially being full time mid/fwd rotations as the third guy, with the 4th guy a licorice allsorts between Keays/Laird from HFF/HBF if we're desperate, Rankine or Pedlar pinch hitting, a SANFL guy who grows like Dowling or Berry if he can add a trick is probably where I'd go.
Also, we don’t need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Dawson is a great attacking half back. It’s maybe forgotten how good a mark he is. He should play mostly mid but can be used to great effect elsewhere sometimes, especially because we need to get midfield minutes into the kids.

Also, we don’t need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Dawson is a great attacking half back. It’s maybe forgotten how good a mark he is. He should play mostly mid but can be used to great effect elsewhere sometimes, especially because we need to get midfield minutes into the kids.

Yeah, Dawson's a great attacking half back but he's also a top 5 midfielder in the game. He's not the one who moves. While he's not lightning, he's a much more capable attacking midfielder/outside user in there. Should only move/rotate out in order for a like type to have a go in there. Can't carry three 'slower, nuggety, inside mids who don't kick well' in the same centre bounce unit.

Seems like ABAB disagrees. Which is always a good sign

In case anyone is interested:
In 2019, the year before Nicks took over, we were in the 8 from round 7 through to the end of round 20 inclusive

That’s 14 weeks in a row.
Including top 3 after round 8.

Round 7 => Round 20 in the 8
Round 21 => 9th equal on points, only out of the 8 on %

So, no there isn’t any doubt that we were a finals contender in 2019

nah, you're focusing on the wrong rounds.

being in the 8 isn't that relevant when our form had dropped off weeks earlier.

We were 8-5 after games. Then after the bye we went 2-7.
The team was in free fall, when Nicks was put in the pilots seat, and he wasn't given enough time or resources to pull up without avoiding the spoon.

You go from Inside mid, inside/outside mid, outside mid, to Inside mid, Inside/outside mid, inside mid. The balance is wrong.

Dawson is class. Rash, Soli, Rankine are class. Laird is not.
Laird is an A grade midfielder, without being elite.
Mrouch (the reinvented one) is as well.
Dawson is elite.

The problem is, having A graders in there is only ok. Every team has them. If we want a premiership, we have to have someone better, and Laird and Mrouch go back to 3rd and 4th picked mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just me but if I played with him in my side most of the year I’d be pissed
Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly.
I got another impression from the "explanation", i.e., that this was all decided mainly by the club, the fitness guys, coaches, etc., (and Crouch), with really very little consideration given to the desires, needs, and wants of the SANFL side.

nah, you're focusing on the wrong rounds.

being in the 8 isn't that relevant when our form had dropped off weeks earlier.

We were 8-5 after games. Then after the bye we went 2-7.
The team was in free fall, when Nicks was put in the pilots seat, and he wasn't given enough time or resources to pull up without avoiding the spoon.

You might want try to stay focused.

The statement was that we were a team contending for finals. That is an inarguable fact.

As the facts show. We were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back