Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jay Clark on Fox Footy last night discussed coaches pay out clauses.

It came up while discussing Beveridge. Beveridge signed his current deal in 2022. The AFLCA negotiated the 12 month min pay out clause this year. Beveridge could be looking at a 6 month pay out, unless he was able negotiate more in 2022.

Clark mentioned that Nicks and Justin Longmuir are two coaches that signed this year and therefore do have the 12 month pay out clause.

Jay Clark on Fox Footy last night discussed coaches pay out clauses.

It came up while discussing Beveridge. Beveridge signed his current deal in 2022. The AFLCA negotiated the 12 month min pay out clause this year. Beveridge could be looking at a 6 month pay out, unless he was able negotiate more in 2022.

Clark mentioned that Nicks and Justin Longmuir are two coaches that signed this year and therefore do have the 12 month pay out clause.

Doesn't this only apply to AFL subsidised clubs?

It was in the first 10 mins of last night's Midweek Tackle on Kayo/Fox.

Maybe someone can post the clip (it's beyond me), in the meantime here's a quick transcript I've done with my phone,

Glenn McFarlane:'You've got some clarity on Luke Beveridge's contract and where we're at with that at the moment'.

Jay Clark: 'Yeah, I think with the Brett Ratten situation, what was that? 18 months ago now. It was a complete disaster. Wasn't it, we had the former St Kilda coach, who was sacked with two years running and only got a six month termination'

Jon Ralph: 'It was easy to sack him wasn't it?'

Jay Clark: 'Yeah. Which was horrific treatment. Really, though the AFLCA been working really hard to essentially update or improve the circumstances or the contracts around coaches who are let go. So, the problem is though, they haven't all kicked in across the board. With mentioning this, of course, because Luke Beveridge is fighting to save his job. What is the situation if he does get let go? Well, we know Matthew Nicks and Justin Longmuir, because they have re-signed since this new clause came in they now have 12 month termination clauses. So that's you know a full year salary which is a lot more protection. The issue with Luke Beveridge is he signed his last deal in 2022 so he doesn't have the full year's salary payout.'

Back