Player Watch Max Michalanney - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing wrong with pinch hitting guys around the ground for flexibility purposes. But we cant keep pinching players from other positions to fill midfield vacancies. Robbing Peter to pay Paul is not a winning strategy.

I can't remember Hart ever playing midfield which answers the question anyway. Id rather actually drafting mids than trying to convert players.
This isn’t a thought about trying for the sake of blind trial and error. If you see a guy has a good balance of attack and defence (comfortable going both ways), has good use of the football, then it would be a waste not to be tried there.
This isn’t to say it needs to be tried in a hurry, anytime in the foreseeable future would be ok.

Midfield is a pure talent check in the end of the day, so it's certainly possible Max has the ability to make the switch.

I don't think Adelaide will ever pursue it, however, seeing Max is becoming a pretty rare cat in defense. But I guess we went the Dawson route and that paid off, so never say never here.

I’ll give a different take - whilst I hear the comments about potentially trying Max in the midfield, he has some pretty unique defensive talents that give our side a point of difference with him playing down back.

I can’t think of any other defender in the league that can blanket a small forward like Rioli on the one hand, but then a minute later float across the front of a pack of gorillas and take an intercept mark on the other.

He is a bit of a unicorn in how small and tall he can play. I think we are best placed leveraging that in defense.

Hart wasn’t tried as midfielder per se, Robert Shaw tried to turn him into a winger in 1995 with ordinary results, but given how bad the team was generally going at that stage not many exactly excelled under Shaw’s coaching so it’s hard to judge how he could’ve gone in a competent team playing that role.

It’s remarkably easy to judge. He was very bad and no one else tried it since

He had poor spatial awareness laterally when asked to do anything but run straight at the contest.

I have no clue what this kids ceiling is, except that it is very very high.
So how is his brother tracking this year leading up to his draft year? Would be amazing to have two of these boys running around down back. One of those rare defenders that you feel you can trust defensively as well as offensively.

So how is his brother tracking this year leading up to his draft year? Would be amazing to have two of these boys running around down back. One of those rare defenders that you feel you can trust defensively as well as offensively.
I’m only watching the stats sheet each week for the U18’s so can’t really comment.

He didn’t play yesterday from what I can tell. Would be surprised if he was dropped because he had a reasonable amount of ball the week before.

Must be injured?!?!

Was in the bests last game

I'm picking him purely on surname!
Got a great write up from his coach the other week about how clean he is below his knees, but doesn’t look like he’s in the initial SA squad for the champs coming up, so at this stage maybe a late pick or rookie selection too hopefully develop into a player

I'll go as far to say he's been a our best draft pick in 5 years. (*Yes I know he was a F/S but in terms of young players coming in, he has looked a class above).

I'll go as far to say he's been an our best draft pick in 5 years. (*Yes I know he was a F/S but in terms of young players coming in, he has looked a class above).
As far as pure value goes, I’d put him second behind Soligo, but both are looking incredibly promising. Worrell not looking bad for a pick 28, either

Not counting Murray/Keane as they weren’t necessarily draft picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back