Player Watch Max Michalanney - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

That's if Worrell keeps progressing. Doing well but think he has another level to go to.
Both Worrell & Max have footy smarts... so confident they will continue to improve.

Worrell is doing great and I'm a big fan, but Michalanney is ahead of him right now because he has to mind a dangerous player every single week.

Worrell is at his best when he gets to float around and read the play, which he is excellent at, but it's an easier role than the one Michalanney is playing.

I know everyone and their dog has already made the comparison to Ben Hart, but geez, he really reminds me of him.

Most impressive thing about Max is what he does at full pace or full stretch.

Never panicks and always executes.

Never gets beaten.

Great signs.
He's got a really weird slow drop from hand to foot. Like I always think he's mistimed it. Also he delays getting rid of it until really late and puts himself under more pressure, but still executes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look...making quality young footy players, its a Rostrevor College thing!!!

But seriously, been saying this from day dot, he is as close to Ben Hart as we have had.It won't be long and he will be in AA conversations. Maybe not this year but it won't be long.

That play in the second quarter. Ball with Butts in the middle of the ground. Port have flooded back.

Max leaves Rioli 10 meters behind him, takes the overlap handless and runs 10 steps at full pace before lacing out a 40 metre pass to Rankine.

Exceptional.
Need as gif of that. Elite play.

I’m starting to think he can do a Laird/Dawson - starts career being an excellent defender and shifting to the midfield where he can excel in both positions.
He’s a pretty decent kick, has a good mix of attacking and defensive traits, and likes the contest. I can’t see why he can’t be tried in the midfield in the future. He could also be a useful midfield tagger perhaps too if the need arises. Basically, I think he’s got a very good all round game, not unlike the traits of Soligo.

I’m starting to think he can do a Laird/Dawson - starts career being an excellent defender and shifting to the midfield where he can excel in both positions.
He’s a pretty decent kick, has a good mix of attacking and defensive traits, and likes the contest. I can’t see why he can’t be tried in the midfield in the future. He could also be a useful midfield tagger perhaps too if the need arises. Basically, I think he’s got a very good all round game, not unlike the traits of Soligo.

How did Ben Hart go as a midfielder?

Nothing wrong with pinch hitting guys around the ground for flexibility purposes. But we cant keep pinching players from other positions to fill midfield vacancies. Robbing Peter to pay Paul is not a winning strategy.

I can't remember Hart ever playing midfield which answers the question anyway. Id rather actually drafting mids than trying to convert players.

Hart wasn’t tried as midfielder per se, Robert Shaw tried to turn him into a winger in 1995 with ordinary results, but given how bad the team was generally going at that stage not many exactly excelled under Shaw’s coaching so it’s hard to judge how he could’ve gone in a competent team playing that role.

As Blight did with most of his defenders he certainly allowed Hart to drift a lot higher up the ground as well at times as evidenced by him having 26 disposals and kicking 5 straight points in the ‘97 prelim, even in his twilight under Craig he was moved to be more of a loose running half-back.

Also I get the similarities but they’re still different players hell Michalanney would kill for Hart’s vertical leap, dual sided skills and core strength he had even as a teenager, also midfield’s functioned more differently in Hart’s era and there were not a lot of 190cm athletic guys who would use their height, reach and core strength to break free at a stoppages, even if they could players at that height were pigeonholed elsewhere on the ground. Other than the odd exception midfields at the time were mostly made up of strong built hard-men to bash and crash in tight or close to the ground endurance monsters who could find heaps of footy and go from contest to contest.

I’ve always thought Michalanney would excel in the middle if he’s ever eventually given a go there as the skills he already has would translate very well into that role it would just be endurance and craft around stoppages that would need work, but do I ever think it will ever happen? unlikely, at least not in the next 3-4 years as the team desperately needs him to play that small forward lockdown role that even at 190 odd centimetres he’s forced to play now as there’s seemingly no one else around to play that role now or in the near future on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back