All Australian
Jun 3, 2003
earth
AFL Club
Essendon
Large carrot for Murphy
01 September 2005 Herald Sun
Darren Cartwright

BRISBANE has raised the stakes in its bid to sign teenager Marc Murphy, offering him a lucrative five-year contract.

Murphy, son of Fitzroy champion John, would almost certainly be a first-round choice in the national draft, but Brisbane needs only to forfeit a third-round pick under the father-son rule.

Lions chief Michael Bowers yesterday would neither confirm nor deny the club's offer.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,16452673%5E19742,00.html

And I thought you were stating Justin Murphy's trade value or a potential trade. ;)

Interesting though. It would be hilarious if Carlton didn't get the best kid in the draft. Just goes to show what a silly rort the Father-Son rule is.

Pafloyul said:
I'm not laughing.

Either am I.

As sickening as it sounds, I really hope you blokes get Murphy. In an already weak draft, we don't need the best kid going to the AFL Lions.

We need every top shelf player avaliable so our pick 2 is as strong as possible, and so we know he wouldn't have originally been pick 3 or 4.

In an even draft, options are very good thing.

We offered Gary Jnr a three year deal on the insistence of his father and manager. Not sure how "lucrative" it was, I think it was more of a security blanket as he was a late developer and wasn't expected to play much in the first year or two.

missionpossible said:
would that qualify as draft tampering ????????????????

I think it should but it's no different from what Collingwood did with Travis Cloke.

spanky ham said:
I think it should but it's no different from what Collingwood did with Travis Cloke.
What did Collingwood do?

If anything, the Cloke situation was draft tampering on the Clokes part, in that when Jason was coming out, they wanted a commitment to all of the boys. Collingwood did nothing wrong by indicating that they would be interested in all three. By the time Jason was coming along, Travis was already winning Club and League B&Fs at junior level, so it was a smart thing to agree to.

NICK THE PIE MAN said:
Either am I.

As sickening as it sounds, I really hope you blokes get Murphy. In an already weak draft, we don't need the best kid going to the AFL Lions.

We need every top shelf player avaliable so our pick 2 is as strong as possible, and so we know he wouldn't have originally been pick 3 or 4.

AFL Lions? Get over it, they were good because they were good, if $$$ had anything to do with it Sydney would have won 5 in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Murphy doesn't go to Brisbane, they look such a good side already with a big crop of kids coming through plus a reasonably high 1st round pick coming anyway, and because it means one less quality player available by the time we get to pick 8.

Swifty_446 said:
AFL Lions? Get over it, they were good because they were good, if $$$ had anything to do with it Sydney would have won 5 in a row.

It might explain why sydney is one of the best performed clubs over the last 10 years, they just haven't been able to get a flag.

Swifty_446 said:
The merger also had a lot to do with it. They picked up all of Fitzroy's players, including Chris Johnson, as well as Jonathon Brown as a Fitzroy father-son pick.

There was a lot of benefit given to them from that merger, so much so that they didn't need the salary cap concessions in addition to everything else that they had.

Say they had exactly the same team, but couldn't afford, say, Nigel Lappin, Clark Keating and Tim Notting.

They're still a damn good team, and they'd still have won a premiership or two, but not three in a row.

If he is having doubts about living away from Melbourne, why would he lock himself into a 5 year contract? I don't think money will be a motivating factor for him, he'll get that no matter where he ends up.

It's appears to be purely a lifestyle decision, Melbourne (family) vs Brisbane (no family).

NICK THE PIE MAN said:
Either am I.

My thinking exactly.

Swifty_446 said:

FFS. Off-hand comment.
Didn't mean anything by it. Sly little dig, nothing more.

Murphy would be pretty silly to accept a deal that has his salary locked in for 5 years If he performs in his first couple of years, as he is expected to do, then he'll be up for a raise to 200k+
I certainly doubt the Lions are stupid enough to offer an untried kid a backloaded contract
Not to mention the expected salary increase after the next tv rights bidding war

vinnie_vegas69 said:
The merger also had a lot to do with it. They picked up all of Fitzroy's players, including Chris Johnson, as well as Jonathon Brown as a Fitzroy father-son pick.

We got to choose 7 Fitzroy players in the merger, so I don't know where ytour "all the Fitzroy players" comment came from.

And besides, only one of those players (Johnson) was around in our premiership era.

TheBrownDog said:
We got to choose 7 Fitzroy players in the merger, so I don't know where ytour "all the Fitzroy players" comment came from.

And besides, only one of those players (Johnson) was around in our premiership era.

others such as Molloy and Barker were used for trades that brought you the likes of Michael & B.Scott.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back