We Missed You - 2023's Forgotten Fleet

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
82 fresh names boarded the ship to the AFL.

The following first timers missed the boat:

Nathan Philactides.
Tarkyn O'Leary.
Sam Van Rooyen.
Will Patton.
Tom Wheaton.
Mahmoud Taha.
Kristian Ferronato.
Riley Weatherill.
Brayden Laplanche.
Cam Nyko.
Michael Rudd.
Alex Holt.
Luker Kentfield.
Ben Ridgway.
Lachlan Cabor.
Jack Callinan.
Koen Sanchez.
Jake Smith.
Kade De La Rue
Patrick Weckert.
Cooper Trembath.
Evan Smith.
Heath Ollington.
Tom Beaumont.
Beau Nash.
Ry Cantwell.
Ollie Badr.
Charlie Harrop.
Jacob Grant.
Oscar Gawirth.
Harry Francis.
Caleb May.
Charlie McCormack.
Geordie Payne.
Luca Slade.
Kobe Shipp.
Oskar Smartt.
Jed Dignan.
Josh Docking.

Last edited:

Nathan Philactides.
Tarkyn O'Leary.
Sam Van Rooyen.
Will Patton.
Tom Wheaton.
Mahmoud Taha.
Kristian Ferronato.
Riley Weatherill.
Brayden Laplanche.
Cam Nyko.
Michael Rudd.
Alex Holt.
Luker Kentfield.
Ben Ridgway.
Lachlan Cabor.
Jack Callinan.
Koen Sanchez.
Evan Smith.
Kade De La Rue
Patrick Weckert.
Cooper Trembath.
Evan Smith.
Heath Ollington.
Tom Beaumont.
Beau Nash.
Ry Cantwell.
Ollie Badr.
Charlie Harrop.
Jacob Grant.
Oscar Gawirth.
Harry Francis.
Caleb May.
Charlie McCormack.
Geordie Payne.
Luca Slade.
Kobe Shipp.
Oskar Smartt.
Jed Dignan.
Josh Docking.
And don't forget the little dynamo Tyler Senge who made a late charge from Subiaco.

Hopefully these guys become state league stars and maybe 6 or 7 will become mature age draftees at some stage.

But if not, Nothing wrong with having a balanced social life with no AFL hangers-ons, allowed to go out for a beer midweek, a solid lifelong career that lasts beyond footy and the chance to play in a state league grand final in front of 30,000 fans.....not the worst life.....in fact most folks in the world would do anything to have that.

Last edited:

Sanchez and de la Rue very very stiff.
I really like Callinan too but like his dad he'll probably get his chance the hard way.

Can Callinan be added as a CAT B rookie to North? He was a part of their NGA wasn’t he?
Didn't think so but happy to stand corrected. He's not lightning quick like some small forwards but he's smart, a natural footballer. That's still room in the system for these types.

I thought Kobe Shipp might get a rookie spot too.

Sanchez and Philactides the ones I would want to take a punt on, both have great composure and skill. Agree with Kane Cornes on it’s sad to see the rookie list clogged up with 30 year olds and not giving young guys a spot on the list.
Also stiff to see O Leary not somewhere as well amazing running capacity and seems to know how to use the ball as well.

Nathan Philactides.
Tarkyn O'Leary.
Sam Van Rooyen.
Will Patton.
Michael Rudd.
Jack Callinan.
Koen Sanchez.
Kade De La Rue
.Kobe Shipp.

Would argue these are the guys most unlucky according to the draft nuffies experts on here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanchez and Philactides the ones I would want to take a punt on, both have great composure and skill. Agree with Kane Cornes on it’s sad to see the rookie list clogged up with 30 year olds and not giving young guys a spot on the list.
Also stiff to see O Leary not somewhere as well amazing running capacity and seems to know how to use the ball as well.
doubt.jpg

We have two SSP spots but not one linking of us to Sanchez.

Not sure what the knock on him is to go undrafted.
Staggering! Will be interesting to see which state league he plays in. SANFL or VFL would have to be his best option. But tough for a kid to shift his life to play state league. A few very stiff boys this year.

Has anyone heard where the undrafted boys have landed? O’Leary at Sandy and Will Brown Frankston. Thats all I’ve heard.

Nathan Philactides.
Tarkyn O'Leary.
Sam Van Rooyen.
Will Patton.
Tom Wheaton.
Mahmoud Taha.
Kristian Ferronato.
Riley Weatherill.
Brayden Laplanche.
Cam Nyko.
Michael Rudd.
Alex Holt.
Luker Kentfield.
Ben Ridgway.
Lachlan Cabor.
Jack Callinan.
Koen Sanchez.
Jake Smith.
Kade De La Rue
Patrick Weckert.
Cooper Trembath.
Evan Smith.
Heath Ollington.
Tom Beaumont.
Beau Nash.
Ry Cantwell.
Ollie Badr.
Charlie Harrop.
Jacob Grant.
Oscar Gawirth.
Harry Francis.
Caleb May.
Charlie McCormack.
Geordie Payne.
Luca Slade.
Kobe Shipp.
Oskar Smartt.
Jed Dignan.
Josh Docking.
There are always hard luck stories but this year its a bit of wow factor I think, Josh Docking early on, looked okay and was set to be going to St Kilda. Geordie Payne from Tassie I thought had a good year, Jacob Grant from W.A. a very good defender, Cooper Trembath, Kade De Lar Rue, Nathan Philactides, Koen Sanchez and Will Patton all terribly unlucky to miss out. A few more could easily be added to that list.

No doubt injuries, poor form at some stage and maybe playing in different positions didn't help but I think recruiters needed some of these players to improve in certain areas of their game. Now that they didn't get picked up I guess the onus is on them to improve certain parts of their game that the recruiters had identified. At 19 next year all the boys will have plenty of time to do this considering guys in there mid 20s get picked up every year.

There are always hard luck stories but this year its a bit of wow factor I think, Josh Docking early on, looked okay and was set to be going to St Kilda. Geordie Payne from Tassie I thought had a good year, Jacob Grant from W.A. a very good defender, Cooper Trembath, Kade De Lar Rue, Nathan Philactides, Koen Sanchez and Will Patton all terribly unlucky to miss out. A few more could easily be added to that list.

No doubt injuries, poor form at some stage and maybe playing in different positions didn't help but I think recruiters needed some of these players to improve in certain areas of their game. Now that they didn't get picked up I guess the onus is on them to improve certain parts of their game that the recruiters had identified. At 19 next year all the boys will have plenty of time to do this considering guys in there mid 20s get picked up every year.
I was as boyish on a few guys who were overlooked than most but truth is the guys who were taken late had some outstanding attributes and that was got them the nod.

I look at a guy like De La Rua, he was good at a lot of things but had no real standout attribute and would be a big reason why he was overlooked. Add to that this draft was openly publicised as not being deep seemed to put lots of clubs off making deep cuts and as such being made to take more kids who simply won't handle AFL.

A kid may be tough but that only gets you so far, a kid may be skilful but that will only get you so far. The elite attributes are the kicking, the contested marking etc. not general skill sets imho

I was as boyish on a few guys who were overlooked than most but truth is the guys who were taken late had some outstanding attributes and that was got them the nod.

I look at a guy like De La Rua, he was good at a lot of things but had no real standout attribute and would be a big reason why he was overlooked. Add to that this draft was openly publicised as not being deep seemed to put lots of clubs off making deep cuts and as such being made to take more kids who simply won't handle AFL.

A kid may be tough but that only gets you so far, a kid may be skilful but that will only get you so far. The elite attributes are the kicking, the contested marking etc. not general skill sets imho
Yes its interesting isn't it Yoda_, out of everything, kicking skills is the "diamond", so to speak, you can get away with being good at most of the skills but if your foot skills are like elite that's a very handy weapon to have at your disposal. I have never seen such bad kicking for goal by key forwards in the last 4 years, its quite incredible. Naughton, both King brothers, more so max, Harry Mackay is a shocker at times.

There are some good shots for goal, Nick Larkey, Mitch Lewis is a good kick for goal and Jamarra ugle Hagan is getting better. Lets not forget father time "Taylor Walker", on both feet if you don't mind and at 33 going on 34 he's showing the others how to do it, and under pressure! kicking for goal seems to be quite hard these days, do we go across the body today or do we follow through and if all of that's not working, lets just give it off.

The amount of times I've seen these players miss goals from 25 to 35 metres out, I just shake my head in disbelief, and you know the sad part is they are not going to change, yes they will have some good days but in general since nothing has changed in their routine, then its safe to presume the same process will continue to happen, the fans will throw their heads back in despair, and when the players go through periods where they can't kick a goal, the pressure mounts so much you know what's going to happen.

Last edited:
Sanchez small and slow

But i rate him
Well Keystone agony, yes he's small and I know he's not Michael Long but I don't know if he's slow, he can move and yes I rated him and was a little surprised he didn't get picked up or even rookied. That tells me one of two things, either AFL recruiters have told him to work on one or two things or that there may be other reasons. But since no club took him in the draft then the decision amongst at least several clubs would seem to be universal.

Well Keystone agony, yes he's small and I know he's not Michael Long but I don't know if he's slow, he can move and yes I rated him and was a little surprised he didn't get picked up or even rookied. That tells me one of two things, either AFL recruiters have told him to work on one or two things or that there may be other reasons. But since no club took him in the draft then the decision amongst at least several clubs would seem to be universal.
The kid can play and should be on an AFL list. I just think he’s unlucky. Eg he may have been told he doesn’t defend well but no small fwd defended well in CTL or any other league. I just think recruiters pigeon hole players and then that’s it. You’re off the list. He’ll rip it up in the WAFL.

The kid can play and should be on an AFL list. I just think he’s unlucky. Eg he may have been told he doesn’t defend well but no small fwd defended well in CTL or any other league. I just think recruiters pigeon hole players and then that’s it. You’re off the list. He’ll rip it up in the WAFL.

No doubting that once a lines been put through you by one team that other teams follow regardless of position sometimes

I doubt hes running a sub 3 second and he is very small so he needs to be running that now before he adds 10 kgs and then cant run sub 3.2

But i woukdve drafted him

Very surprising considering Twomey said after the carnival some recruiters are seeing him as a 20s range type pick

I agree he will kick alot of goals for East Freo league. 30+

Remove this Banner Ad

Back