Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

McHenry would’ve had to get a clean disposal in the first place then kick it. Two disposals compared to one which is an easy kick for Rachele.
Any forward should take the kick that close to goals.
I’d usually agree with you but that would have been a simple handball and anyone playing in an afl team should be able to collect it and run into an open goal (I know that McHenry is not afl standard but still this would have been a simple play). In the past players would have gotten dragged for that, blighty definitely would have gave him a rocket. I just think he’s doing this more often and eventually it’s gonna bite us bad and the media will jump on him again. I mean most of the greatest goal kickers in the game would have handballed in that situation, Lockett, dunstall, Modra, all would have hand balled. This thing spreads throughout the team and i think it’s partly why we lost against Geelong and Melbourne, too much blazing away and not enough lowering the eyes and finding the simple pass.

Your assuming McSpudley had enough skill to receive the handball, turn towards goal, run and then kick it between the big posts.

What gives you the confidence he could accomplish all of that within 3 seconds??
If you’re picked to play on an afl team you should be able to execute receiving a hand ball and turning around and running to goal with ease. I know McHenry is terrible but you can’t be burning any of your team mates in that situation

It's a shame he had those 2 moments because that was probably his most well rounded game this year. 20d, 1.1, 7 score involvements, 4 clearances, 514m gained.
Yeah he played a great game until then. The mate I was at the footy with on Friday had said multiple times earlier that he's cynical of Rachele because of his over the top celebrations and he's too much of a show pony. I had spend 3 and a half quarters successfully convincing him that Rash was quality. The rest is history, lol.

This kid is the least of our problems, what about Rory - completely open running into goal and can't hit the side of a barn - Laird

Let's start there, then onto injured and a unreliable Smith

And finally into Nick's love boy McHenry

Address those 3 with Ryan, Curtin and Dowling and move on
Absolutely. Dropping a kid with tremendous upside after 2 mistakes when these 3 make a mockery of selection week after week would be insane. Rachele will learn and get better. These 3 won't. We have seen their ceiling.

Shape keepers are picked on their ability to keep the shape, not because they can football.
I'm not a football professional, but this seems like the old Armageddon conundrum. Surely it's a lot easier to train a guy with football skills (astronaut) how to run patterns (drill for oil), than it is to teach a shape keeper how to play football.

At least he was getting in positions to affect the contest in the dying moments.

Can't say the same for a dozen players on the field tonight.

Yes he didn't execute well. He's not a finished player yet
So you're excusing those actions .....you certainly wouldn't if it were Murphy & co
It most definitely does say something about his want for the contest .....doing it twice in the same game, I've never seen that B4

I hope he learns from this ....it actually could be the making of Rachele as a player

So you're excusing those actions .....you certainly wouldn't if it were Murphy & co

Lachlan Murphy is a 100 game player in our leadership group. There is a higher standard for him

Nah ....that's just an excuse

Our club has for a long time operated with a mentality that's the opposite to what is correct

The more experience you have, the more leadership roles you are taking on, the higher in the decision making chain you are, the MORE responsibility you have for your actions and the actions of the team. This is always correct.

The Crows are the opposite. Nicks has clearly stated throughout this year that he is not responsible for the way we are playing, the players are. He drops inexperienced players and makes them accountable, but doesn't do so for players with greater experience that are actually more responsible.

If you are unable to tolerate errors from inexperienced team members and use it as a learning experience, instead going straight for punishment, your team WILL be s**t and the culture you build WILL be toxic. And this applies to any field, not just sports.

If you are unable to tolerate errors from inexperienced team members and use it as a learning experience, instead going straight for punishment, your team WILL be s**t and the culture you build WILL be toxic. And this applies to any field, not just sports.
It's the conundrum ....play kids, tolerate the errors, lose games ......but no, we can't lose games ....who do we blame, we need to play more kids, who will make more mistakes

Anyone who thinks this is not a truism, has not really followed footy ......young players lose you more games, than experienced players ......why else do Coaches say "we need to pump games into these kids"

It's because kids are not consistent .....but nor are 30/31 YO's ....who become less consistent on the downhill slide

But this is all changing the topic ......Rachele jumping at shadows cannot be excused

It's the conundrum ....play kids, tolerate the errors, lose games ......but no, we can't lose games ....who do we blame, we need to play more kids, who will make more mistakes

Anyone who thinks this is not a truism, has not really followed footy ......young players lose you more games, than experienced players ......why else do Coaches say "we need to pump games into these kids"

It's because kids are not consistent .....but nor are 30/31 YO's ....who become less consistent on the downhill slide

But this is all changing the topic ......Rachele jumping at shadows cannot be excused
Yes but this argument falls apart when said experienced players aren’t very good

The reason why you play kids is so they make mistakes, learn and improve at the highest level. It's not about "tolerating" or "excusing" errors it's about having the opportunity to learn

If you go into anything with the mindset that your least experienced team members make you worse, as opposed to seeing that inexperience could be fostered into quality, you'll be creating a very negative team environment.

Rachele shouldn't be excused, but you have to understand that someone with less experience is going to make more mistakes and have more learning to do and that's okay sometimes. So long as they learn.

Murphy as a leader doesn't get that benefit because he's been elevated into a position that has greater expectations and responsibilities

It most definitely does say something about his want for the contest .....doing it twice in the same game, I've never seen that B4

I hope he learns from this ....it actually could be the making of Rachele as a player

Well for starters do you know many games in Murphy’s career he has had 20 disposals or more?

Answer - 1. Yep the grand total of 1, with another 3 @ 19.

Josh has had 6 in 40 games.

Murphy has kicked 68 goals in 101 games, Josh has kicked 48 in 40 games.

Yes, Josh made an error of judgement and for some inexplicable reason felt (well the club probably did) thought he had to address in a media interview.

These incidents should have been dealt behind closed doors but someone thought better. I can only guess who.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Josh made an error of judgement and for some inexplicable reason felt (well the club probably did) thought he had to address in a media interview.

These incidents should have been dealt behind closed doors but someone thought better. I can only guess who.
Huh ....the Rachele incidents were all over the media .....no chance you could hide it behind closed doors

And it's no error of judgement .....only a supporter would say that .....same as they will excuse almost any indescretion by a star player

Thank god it's a short week ....

Huh ....the Rachele incidents were all over the media .....no chance you could hide it behind closed doors

And it's no error of judgement .....only a supporter would say that .....same as they will excuse almost any indescretion by a star player

Thank god it's a short week ....

Yes all over the media - you know what you do, let the media do their thing, you don’t need to respond, it will blow over. Its a short week, media focus will change. The game was last Friday and it is still a news story because Josh has made a interview - its on C7 news again tonight. heck me.

All you do is make a rod for your own back.

I look forward to you bagging the crap out of our leadership group in future when they heckup but I will expect crickets.

I’d usually agree with you but that would have been a simple handball and anyone playing in an afl team should be able to collect it and run into an open goal (I know that McHenry is not afl standard but still this would have been a simple play). In the past players would have gotten dragged for that, blighty definitely would have gave him a rocket. I just think he’s doing this more often and eventually it’s gonna bite us bad and the media will jump on him again. I mean most of the greatest goal kickers in the game would have handballed in that situation, Lockett, dunstall, Modra, all would have hand balled. This thing spreads throughout the team and i think it’s partly why we lost against Geelong and Melbourne, too much blazing away and not enough lowering the eyes and finding the simple pass.
Blighty would have given him a rocket if he DID pass it. Any forward that close should have the shot thrmselves.
Here is a link to some beautiful misses.
Some extremely similar to Rachele/ McHenry

OK, you're participating in a radio interview, and you're talking to adults now.
How about losing the gum Champ.
You're not 'too kool for skool'... not this week.

OK, you're participating in a radio interview, and you're talking to adults now.
How about losing the gum Champ.
You're not 'too kool for skool'... not this week.

You do understand it is a “radio show”.

Yes, they live stream but its target audience is an older demographic that would struggle with concept of streaming (just listen to the conga line of funeral ads).

And yes, I am probably fitting that demographic but aren’t a dinosaur.

On a more serious note, I do think Josh at times has a situational awareness issue. Particularly in front of goal when his eyes light up and he thinks he's got more time than he actually does. He seems to me to get run down or tackled more often than other players in similar situations.

On a more serious note, I do think Josh at times has a situational awareness issue. Particularly in front of goal when his eyes light up and he thinks he's got more time than he actually does. He seems to me to get run down or tackled more often than other players in similar situations.

Probably a trait from his soccer days.

Blighty would have given him a rocket if he DID pass it. Any forward that close should have the shot thrmselves.
Blight used to drag players for not centering the ball when they had a shot from the boundary even if it went in. He wouldn't tolerate selfish players. The thing that really got me here is he's been doing this a lot and the goal he went for wasn't an easy shot, the handball option was the correct one regardless of whether McHenry could convert from it or not. I think he burns any other team mate in McHenry's position and if he didn't pass to him because he thought he wasn't skilful enough to receive a handball and run into a open goal then there are much deeper issues at the club, you got to trust your team mates to do pull off fundamental skills. I know McHenry is awful but he had a right to have a go at Rachelle. I'm just worried that this guy's ego is getting too big that he's starting to forget about the team

Blighties missed goal where he runs past the goals had to be deliberate. May have had a bet on.

ROB should have featured in this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back