Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Buckley on On the Couch just pointed out an half arse attempt by Lachie Jones against Collingwood which resulted into a goal. He said everyone is questioning Rachele going back however this was just as bad and hasn’t been focused on.
Don’t watch On the Couch , is it the one involving a norm smith medalist and a piss poor effort below his knees

You have to give the kid credit for owning this. Hopefully this is a huge learning curve because the kid has genuine talent.

109 of them are mine.
Never pull out.
Infertility Coletivo GIF by Melanina Estudio

Dropping him for a couple of mistakes would be a terrible move, let him show he has learnt from this and give him a chance to respond. If it starts to happen more often and he doesn't learn from his mistakes then it would be a different discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s great that he’s owned up to pulling out of marking contests but for me his biggest mistake was his burn of McHenry for the goal he kicked, it should have been an easy handball and McHenry would have ran into an open goal. He’s always been selfish but it’s getting worse and more bold. This needs to be addressed or this will cost us a game down the line

It’s great that he’s owned up to pulling out of marking contests but for me his biggest mistake was his burn of McHenry for the goal he kicked, it should have been an easy handball and McHenry would have ran into an open goal. He’s always been selfish but it’s getting worse and more bold. This needs to be addressed or this will cost us a game down the line
I encourage all our players to burn McHenry as frequently as possible

If you’re a goal kicker and that close to goals you take the shot. I’d be pissed if he did handball it to McHenry, too much can go wrong. Bad handball, McHenry fumbles or shanks the kick. He made the right call.

If you’re a goal kicker and that close to goals you take the shot. I’d be pissed if he did handball it to McHenry, too much can go wrong. Bad handball, McHenry fumbles or shanks the kick. He made the right call.

Nah, McHenry would have run into an open goal. Way less margin of error than Rachele kicking it. He should have handballed it, but no harm done in the end.

This whole affair has the same vibes as the Taylor Walker "shirker" incident from 2018 (which was obviously a skill error, nothing to do with shirking contact.) Having Rachele publically "own it" is exactly what happened in 2018 with Walker (via Pyke) too.

The first dropped mark looked like a horrendous misjudgement/getting the ball lost in the lights, which in a just world would be equal or worse than being 'soft'. But regardless, if Rachele was hearing footsteps was it because he was afraid of being smashed by an opponent? or was he afraid of getting in the way of a senior teammate again and being raked over the coals again?

Nah, McHenry would have run into an open goal. Way less margin of error than Rachele kicking it. He should have handballed it, but no harm done in the end.
McHenry was calling him in to kick the goal. If Rachele made a mistake there, it was not running in closer to make it a sure thing

Last edited:
McHenry would’ve had to get a clean disposal in the first place then kick it. Two disposals compared to one which is an easy kick for Rachele.
Any forward should take the kick that close to goals.

It's a shame he had those 2 moments because that was probably his most well rounded game this year. 20d, 1.1, 7 score involvements, 4 clearances, 514m gained.
He was excellent against Carlton too. Probably the two best games of his career if he takes one of those marks.

Your assuming McSpudley had enough skill to receive the handball, turn towards goal, run and then kick it between the big posts.

What gives you the confidence he could accomplish all of that within 3 seconds??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back