Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

I maintain we are not as far away as we're seem onfield. Every time we are on the edge of clicking, we seem to do whatever the opposite of what we need to do in the moment.

We are currently less than the sum of our parts.

Maybe, but also we haven't played finals since 2013, and the cynic in me feels like we are as far away from challenging for a flag than ever (although i have always been a glass half empty kind of person with my outlook)

Last night was probably the first time I am starting to honestly think Voss is not the gaffer for us, but aside from replacing him, I want to see other significant changes at the club, especially at board level.

We just got to hang in there and still support the club and the players (go to games etc)

I want to whinge about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about....

I want to whinge about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about people who are whinging about....
But what was their problem with a 4 dot ellipsis?

I get that supporters are frustrated during lean periods, but some of the coping mechanisms are truly bizarre

Suns - Dew will feed off our carcass, beat us convincingly. No no, doesn't count, they just rolled over and not convinced Voss can coach. Let's see if we can back it up

Hawks - Nah, that smashing means nothing, a real test will be the Dockers away from home

Dockers - Absolutely choked them, despite them beating Demons and Cats, * at home. No no, doesn't count, they aren't even in the 8

Port - Let's see us do it against a real side. But wait, they have injuries, due for a loss, blah, blah.

West Coast - Won't be convinced unless we win by 40 goals ( just guessing)

There will always be lows, but surely it's also okay to just enjoy the ride

The annoying part is that we have gone to the gameplan that we all called for for months!

Tackle, chase, pressure, move the ball through the middle quickly by hand from defence.

Why did it take so long to go with that gameplan?
What you describe is not gameplan, it's attitude and intent as far as I'm concerned.

What you describe is not gameplan, it's attitude and intent as far as I'm concerned.
Combination of all of it. Including belief, trust and intent but also important to acknowledge starting position, willingness/instruction to leave your man and press up in support of the defender in front of you to pressure opposition chains etc etc. It's instructional, it's trust, it's confidence, it's attitude it's all of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Combination of all of it. Including belief, trust and intent but also important to acknowledge starting position, willingness/instruction to leave your man and press up in support of the defender in front of you to pressure opposition chains etc etc. It's instructional, it's trust, it's confidence, it's attitude it's all of it.

Absolutely. You can see it happening out there. There's a transition point in every contest where someone leaves their man and someone else comes across to cover. Yes, our intent has changed but when you see something working, it is far easier to see that intent. We have definitely made it far more simpler to the players as to when to go and trust that your teammate has your back and will cover your man.

I'd love to see what we do on a grid pattern. We now recognise who is dangerous and who isn't.

Absolutely. You can see it happening out there. There's a transition point in every contest where someone leaves their man and someone else comes across to cover. Yes, our intent has changed but when you see something working, it is far easier to see that intent. We have definitely made it far more simpler to the players as to when to go and trust that your teammate has your back and will cover your man.

I'd love to see what we do on a grid pattern. We now recognise who is dangerous and who isn't.

Simplified/modified the gameplan yes, which may seem strange cause I haven't seen our group of players press/chase/tackle do all the defensive accountability acts the boys have done in the last month in years.

I definitely love the fact we are attacking vis the corridor than hit the boring and turnover costly boundary riding in the past.

As our players evolve, so does our coach and his coaching panel, i firmly believe

We have only begun to scratch the surface of our prodigious talent too.

The good times are still to come :)

Mate I’d consider this point of view if it had been linear improvement.

To go 1/9 and barely kick 50 points a game to the drastic difference we see now, is clearly a game plan change.

Before we were corraling, move slowly down the wings and keep possession at all costs.

Now we press up on the ball carrier, and move the ball quickly down the middle by hand with overlap run and look to hit targets inside 50.

What I want to know is why we only played like that 4 weeks ago?

It's bizarre

To go 1/9 and barely kick 50 points a game to the drastic difference we see now, is clearly a game plan change.

Before we were corraling, move slowly down the wings and keep possession at all costs.

Now we press up on the ball carrier, and move the ball quickly down the middle by hand with overlap run and look to hit targets inside 50.

It's bizarre
They did it just to annoy you..............but it's not 'gameplan' and never was imo.

On the subject of the coverage of Harry during the game...
This one goes out to the broadcasters...

You played footy, yeah? Some of you. What about the rest of you, you're journalists by trade? Broadcasters?

Why are you hypothesizing about injuries?

You're not a doctor. You're not much more than a dude or lass with a megaphone. You're lucky I picked your particular method of consuming the content that I'm addicted to. You know what I don't like? Listening to people who aren't experts in something catastrophizing about my team based on something they don't know anything about.

So here's an idea: if I hear the word syndesmosis in the broadcast, it had better be because you're talking about someone who has been diagnosed with it. If I hear the letters ACL, PCL or MCL, it had better be from someone reporting back from a hospital after someone's gotten a scan.

I would be completely content to trade TDK for a single first round pick.

When he gathers the ball below his knees, it's amazing. When he jumps on an opposition ruckman's head and taps it out, it looks incredible. He flies for screamers, he takes them more than he should, and he's fast, agile and amazing below his knees for his height.

Only problem is, he never taps to a mid. His kicking technique is no nonsense and pretty to look at, but he never hits a target or sees someone other than long down the line, and is an indifferent shot on goal. He is so, so, SO easy to knock off the line, and for all his agility, acceleration and speed he's still not faster, more agile or quicker than a small or a wing. He's in no man's land as a player at the moment; he's an upgrade on Shaun Hampson only due to Hampson spending forever injured. If I've seen him tackle more than once a game, I'll be shocked regardless of what the stats say.

Fisher is another I'd be happy to shop around. He's more than hot/cold; he's ******* arctic or sahara. It's 29 possessions and a goal or it's ******* 7 disposals, no tackles, no score. He's allergic to contact, and by that I mean even laying tackles himself. He's only in the side because he's the only mid who's faster than a snail.

If Gov spends more than 4 weeks on the sidelines this year for any reason, he should not be retained for anything. I do not care how good he was last week. I do not care how much better we look with him out there. He's the footballing equivalent of a deadbeat. Same for Jack Martin.

Hollands, Acres and Walsh all work. Hewitt and Cripps work. Cerra and Kennedy are not working at present. Motlop and Durdin work. Charlie and Harry work. Young and Weitering are not working at the moment; they need Doc, or they need a third ingredient to make things sit. Doc and Saad were both playing well, but it wasn't working at full capacity; last year, Boyd, Doc and Saad worked.

While we need pace, what we need as much if not more we need tacklers. We need players who can chase down and win HTB or make it to a contest as an extra to collect the spilt loose ball. Too many players getting drawn to the ball, and not enough trust that the player who went in is enough by themselves.

Thought this year would be a refinement and recalibration of where we sat. Still have hopes; throwing the towel in after 5 games is a bad idea. But a failure to make finals this year - given the draw - would be a monumental failure.
Following up on this...

Gov has missed only two games this year, and his form post bye has been remarkable. Jack Martin has already missed more than 4 games - having only played 6 of 18 - and so I'd still be looking for other options. More dangerous he might make us, you cannot - simply cannot - have a player who plays a third of the time, regardless of potential.

Against Port, TDK was the best ruck on the ground. Lycett spent all game trying to outmuscle him, to threaten him physically into making mistakes or to bash him off the ball; TDK didn't just tap to advantage, but frequently outmarked, out tackled and absolutely outmuscled him. He laid 66 tackles for the game. If I were the coaches, I'd be at him to make that the low water mark: you should be laying this many tackles. Marks and taps are your trade, but your effort is measured by your tackling; he made us so much more dangerous around the stoppage with his pressure.

If he plays like that I'm happier to keep him, but that needs to be the standard not the standout.

Following up on this...

Gov has missed only two games this year, and his form post bye has been remarkable. Jack Martin has already missed more than 4 games - having only played 6 of 18 - and so I'd still be looking for other options. More dangerous he might make us, you cannot - simply cannot - have a player who plays a third of the time, regardless of potential.

Against Port, TDK was the best ruck on the ground. Lycett spent all game trying to outmuscle him, to threaten him physically into making mistakes or to bash him off the ball; TDK didn't just tap to advantage, but frequently outmarked, out tackled and absolutely outmuscled him. He laid 66 tackles for the game. If I were the coaches, I'd be at him to make that the low water mark: you should be laying this many tackles. Marks and taps are your trade, but your effort is measured by your tackling; he made us so much more dangerous around the stoppage with his pressure.

If he plays like that I'm happier to keep him, but that needs to be the standard not the standout.
66?

Last edited by a moderator:
At one point in the third quarter yesterday, Vossy was on the sideline going so far off his tiddies that I could see spit flying outta his mouth. Nice to see some passion even when we're six goals up. Not accepting 'effort' or mediocrity anymore.
I had a coach like that in juniors. We sucked all the time, regularly getting beaten by all the other teams by 100 points or more. Half time in the changerooms involved cowering whenever Coach walked around yelling at us, spit flyin’ all over the place. He’d somehow rev us up to murderous heights, then We’d all run out there in our Rainsoaked 30kg jumpers and do bellyflops in the mud. Then start another fight. Good times.

It's bizarre
The shizen gameplan I feel was generated out of our fading outs after controlling games for the latter part of last season. Even after our round 1 draw, Voss mentioned we've been working on dealing with tight games, and again round 2 happy after Geelongs mini comeback we held on.

I even think there is concern that the gameplan of first half of last year may have attributed to wear and tear and injuries and don't know whether the plan was to ease into the season and build up, but it's head scratching such a shift in everything from the first 13 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back